Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:40 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times

Advertisements

The EZ pass website specifically says that each car you have has to be registered to the pass you plan on using.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 06:45 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
other info on ez-pass says it works with any other vehicles

FAQ'S

Can I use the same transponder for different cars?

Yes, as long as the different vehicles have the same number of axles.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:22 AM

884 posts, read 1,405,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM1982 View Post
I drive between Long Island and Westchester often and take the Queensboro/Madison Ave Bridge combo up and Third Ave Bridge/Queensboro combo back. It doesn't take that much longer, and given all the construction that's been happening on both the Whitestone and Throgs Neck, toll bridges often take longer.
What time of day/night do you do this? That will make a big difference. When I head out, I go around 5 AM and hit no traffic on the bridges.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:40 AM

562 posts, read 1,058,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useasdirected View Post
What time of day/night do you do this? That will make a big difference. When I head out, I go around 5 AM and hit no traffic on the bridges.
LIE seems to be the worst part of the traffic, whether or not you take the toll bridges, so I work around LIE peak times. I never seem to have issues going up First Avenue (minus the recent road work in the past week) or down Second.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:40 AM

68 posts, read 199,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
He didn't say he wanted it fast, just free. :P

In IT we have a saying, pick two of the following, fast, cheap or good. You cannot have all three.
As long as we're being literal, he didn't say he wanted it free, just that he couldn't get it free.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:54 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useasdirected View Post
Queens is on Long Island. So is Brooklyn. So yes, you do pay a toll when leaving Long Island.
no some bridges only charge you one way (like coming back).

Old 08-21-2013, 01:48 PM

68 posts, read 199,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
no some bridges only charge you one way (like coming back).
Those are Hudson River crossings though, not East River crossings.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:59 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolling For Dollars View Post
Those are Hudson River crossings though, not East River crossings.

Yup. If we go down south at night, we take the Williamsburg Bridge and Holland Tunnel out to avoid any tolls. I like the New Jersey Turnpike, so I don't mind paying for it

Old 08-22-2013, 07:45 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanth311 View Post
Hi All - My personal E-Z pass didn`t work at few tolls on my way to Niagara and I was using rental vehicle. 3 out of 7 times it was showing amber. In this case I assume the rental company will get my violation tickets.
1. How much time will it take if they want to give the violation tickets?
2. Is there any option that I can pay the fee online to avoid the violation tickets?
3. Can I send my statement for the times the toll was collected in the same way? so that i can skip the tickets

Thanks
Your EZ-Pass was not the problem. Certain windshields (and the angle of the scanner) will not let the signal through to see the transponder. So what you have to do is hold it in your hand and wave it. I had the same situation in Northern NJ (yet it worked just fine from VA until I switched over from the NJT to the Garden State), waved it out the window and then it worked. For the future when you are renting a car, simply call EZPass to add the rental to your acct. Once its on your acct, then you wont get a ticket nor a letter.

Call EZPass asap and give them your rental car info and dates and they should be able to catch them before they actually become tickets. In some states they will charge a $6 fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island