Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:25 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthetic View Post
agree. that's what i am thinking. actually i asked same question on company forum and one guy takes same transfer at jamaica every day and says its even faster than Penn route.
Right, and depending on which branch you live on, you'd probably have to change at Jamaica anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 05:43 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
The E is a biotch though. Blahhh Penn then walk is what I'd do.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 AM

63 posts, read 152,277 times
Is this really a quicker option? I'm contemplating the best way to get to the UES using the LIRR and my options are:

1) Train to Penn>E to 53rd/Lex>uptown 6 train
2) Train to Hunter's Point>7 to Grand Central>uptown 6 train
3) What is being described above - Train to Jamaica>E to 53rd/Lex>Uptown 6

Is option 3 really the quickest way? I know it's the cheapest but moe concerned about the time involved.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:15 AM

562 posts, read 1,058,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingtoli View Post
Is this really a quicker option? I'm contemplating the best way to get to the UES using the LIRR and my options are:

1) Train to Penn>E to 53rd/Lex>uptown 6 train
2) Train to Hunter's Point>7 to Grand Central>uptown 6 train
3) What is being described above - Train to Jamaica>E to 53rd/Lex>Uptown 6

Is option 3 really the quickest way? I know it's the cheapest but moe concerned about the time involved.
My friend works the UES and has settled on #2. Only drawback (besides the cost) is the limited frequency to and from Hunterspoint. Overall, it's a faster transfer from the 7 to 6 at GCT than it is from the E to 6 at 53rd/Lex.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The E is a biotch though. Blahhh Penn then walk is what I'd do.
Walk from 7th/33rd to Lexington/53rd every day instead of taking the train? Have fun with that

Old 08-22-2013, 08:27 AM

169 posts, read 675,384 times
Default train

E train will be a sardine can, especially once you get to forest hills and 1/2 of Queens piles in. Consider quality of ride - do you want to be in a comfy air conditioned / heated car for an extra 25 mins or be stuck in a hot smelly / freezing subway car for a 40 - 45minute ride, listening to "there's train traffic ahead, we'll be moving shortly" half the time?

Depends on the season i guess

Old 08-22-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenet View Post
E train will be a sardine can, especially once you get to forest hills and 1/2 of Queens piles in. Consider quality of ride - do you want to be in a comfy air conditioned / heated car for an extra 25 mins or be stuck in a hot smelly / freezing subway car for a 40 - 45minute ride, listening to "there's train traffic ahead, we'll be moving shortly" half the time?

Depends on the season i guess
So the OP should pay more money for what looks to be a longer commute?

Getting a seat at Supthin Boulevard-JFK shouldn't be a problem. The E train is probably one of the most reliable trains during rush hour-- when was the last time you heard about service delays? When was the last time you heard about service delays on the LIRR between Jamaica and Penn?

If you dislike the subway, by all means go to Penn. If you want a cheaper and (generally) faster commute, go to Jamaica.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:34 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Walk from 7th/33rd to Lexington/53rd every day instead of taking the train? Have fun with that
I lost 60lbs doing that!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I lost 60lbs doing that!
Congratulations! I enjoy walking in the city too, but I would think that'd be rather time consuming for a daily commute. I dislike paying for the subway when I ride to Penn, so I often walk to my destination too.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:45 AM

398 posts, read 838,056 times
I currently ride LIRR to Penn and take E to 53rd/lex and it's a rather comfortable none-hassle ride as long as no issues on LIRR between Jamaica and Penn.

How much money would one typically save on a LIRR monthly if purchased to Jamaica as opposed to Penn?

I thought about catching the subway at Jamaica (never done before) to see if it was more convient, but sounds like it's more of a money saver than I time saver. I'll have to try it out a few times to see how much of a difference there is between the two.

My biggest concern would be coming home, taking the E to Jamaica and not catching a seat on the LIRR ride home. Going in to Penn seems like a more convient way to go over Jamica/E/Lex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island