Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:19 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times

Advertisements

Just want to say a lot of this stuff can still be done with a smaller SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 11:30 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I still havent heard any real reason for owning a pickup truck except a bunch of macho BS....just as I figured.
People need something to put those big plastic fake balls on. Putting them on a pickup is more impressive than a regular car I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_nuts

Old 08-22-2013, 12:54 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
What if, in your spare time, you:

You coach a lot of kid’s sports teams year round and need to bring the equipment - balls, nets, pads, tackling dummies, etc?

Deliver meals to seniors, invalids, shut ins, etc...?

Bring a bunch of puppies to visit sick kids?

Bring the instruments to church on Sunday?

Bring equipment to scout meetings every week?

Go camping 3 or 4 times a year and need to bring a lot of gear?

Yeah, I know, more macho BS.

I think what you are doing seeing only a sliver of something and not understanding or liking that idea, you extrapolate your logic onto the whole segment so you can dismiss it out of hand.

To put it more bluntly, no have no idea why someone else owns a truck, can't think of a good reason for you to own one, so you diss everyone who does.

As Mike1234567 said, another useless thread.
Tell me why you cant do all that in a Subaru forester?

Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
Newsflash: Trucks have been around since 1896.

You guys are comical.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:09 PM

50,263 posts, read 47,023,439 times
I'll take my truck in a crash over these lil smart (dumb) cars any day. There is no more useful vehicle than a truck. As far as gas mileage they do no worse than most of the high HP engine cars on the road today. Plus, if you need to haul a super size maxi-pad to cover a good day of sniveling about trucks you are good to go! I see Beemer 700s G Benz, Vettes, Stangs, and all sorts of poor fuel economy vehicles in well to do areas more so than a truck that is actually useful and has leg/head room. I guess I could sell my truck and get an RV but that wouldn't make sense. I'd rather pull my TT. Even in San Diego a good portion of the truck owners are women and even in neck Country most of the truck owners are business professionals. Stereotype FAIL.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:57 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Just want to say a lot of this stuff can still be done with a smaller SUV.
Uh...no. There's a reason why my husband uses his Excursion for DIY work & towing and his primary vehicle is a Land Cruiser. We also have a 16' trailer for hauling a lot of our DIY projects. Eventually we'd like to get an F350 dually, but the Excursion is like having a covered pickup.

Again...as another poster mentioned, if you see no need for a pickup, you're likely never going to understand.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:00 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:

I think what you are doing seeing only a sliver of something and not understanding or liking that idea, you extrapolate your logic onto the whole segment so you can dismiss it out of hand.

To put it more bluntly, no have no idea why someone else owns a truck, can't think of a good reason for you to own one, so you diss everyone who does.

As Mike1234567 said, another useless thread.
Agreed.

I think the OP is just "disagreeing" to stir the pot.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:03 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,005 times
Wrong. Im listening to everyone's opinion on Pickup Trucks. Of course, few answered my original question about the increase in the number of trucks but I think someone came close. Its that more people are buying bigger trucks.

I still see little use of pickup trucks by the average Long Islander. I know there may be some people with a need for one but few REALLY need it. Its another environmental problem we have to live with here.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:09 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
Tell me why you cant do all that in a Subaru forester?
For some, all these things wouldn't fit in a Forrester.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:10 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
Quote:
For some, all these things wouldn't fit in a Forrester.
I have one and I can't see any of the activities listed (other than towing) that wouldn't fit in the trunk, the roof or a combination of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: