Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 03:13 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,813,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Wrong. Im listening to everyone's opinion on Pickup Trucks. Of course, few answered my original question about the increase in the number of trucks but I think someone came close. Its that more people are buying bigger trucks.

I still see little use of pickup trucks by the average Long Islander. I know there may be some people with a need for one but few REALLY need it. Its another environmental problem we have to live with here.
The logical extension of your arguement is then "Why are cars different at all?" According to this logic all cars should be metal boxes that all look the same, be the same color and only go the speed limit. No need for Corvettes or mini vans, since no one can ever use the Corvette to its fullest limits legally on public roads or most of the time mini vans are empty execpt for the driver and a passenger or 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 03:22 PM
LI-

26 posts, read 33,278 times
I also agree having a P/U truck on LI/NYC is not just ridiculous but further pollutes our living area and has increased our fuel costs. May I add too this by saying look at all the roadside debris flying out from the back of their P/U.instaed of using a the garbage , they throw the garbage in the back of their trucks then in return finds it way onto our streets . Plus as a side note I believe the owners of P/U trucks are heavy drinkers. My assumption is fact based by all the empty beer cans in the bed of their trucks.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:27 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,377,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I have one and I can't see any of the activities listed (other than towing) that wouldn't fit in the trunk, the roof or a combination of both.

If you're frequently visiting HD/Lowes/lumber yard and purchasing molding/sheets of plywood or drywall/lumber, you'd want a PU as opposed to having to tie it down on the roof of your car. I've seen how people tie down their purchases. It's downright scary.

There's no way we would be able to fit all our trees, shrubs and other plantings from the nursery in the back of a small SUV or the trunk of a vehicle.

Last edited by TheImportersWife; 08-22-2013 at 03:37 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 03:28 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,377,425 times
Quote:
Wrong. Im listening to everyone's opinion on Pickup Trucks. Of course, few answered my original question about the increase in the number of trucks but I think someone came close. Its that more people are buying bigger trucks.

I still see little use of pickup trucks by the average Long Islander. I know there may be some people with a need for one but few REALLY need it. Its another environmental problem we have to live with here.

what do you drive?

Old 08-22-2013, 03:33 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,717,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
what do you drive?
Rumor has it...

Old 08-22-2013, 05:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,639,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
Tell me why you cant do all that in a Subaru forester?

This is what we use for pulling work trailers as well as going on long rides. Gets about 20 around town, better on the hwy.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:16 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,639,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Rumor has it...
That is cute as a bug's ear. It would fit in the bed of my truck!

Old 08-22-2013, 05:22 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,242,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That is cute as a bug's ear. It would fit in the bed of my truck!
That is the problem. The vehicle is too cute. This looks much more his style:

Old 08-22-2013, 06:19 PM

100 posts, read 195,035 times
its funny my 95 f350 power stroke diesel is more economical than some cars, I spend less than 100 bucks a month on fuel mostly because I make my own. educate yourself first

Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,666,305 times
Quote:
Are there more pickup trucks on LI lately? Or maybe Im just noticing them more.
Twenty years ago it was extremely rare to see pickups (non-tow trucks) in NYC and on the Island. When the Ford Explorer Sport Trac came out in 2000 it opened the door for SUV/Pickup Hybrids to enter the market to be a four door car and give people versatility to do more than a SUV alone. As they became more prevalent the legal definitions were updated so people would stop being ticketed for using them on highways that did not allow commercial traffic. Next came the Cadi Escalade EXT (Chevy Avalanche) and the rest is history from there on. SUV's grew in size and luxury pickups became more acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: