Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 08:14 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,130 times

Advertisements

Can bring the kids to the soccer game as well

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 09:16 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Wow, we've got more out of state posters than usual with this thread (and not just our usual expats). Seems our OP has awakened people across state lines, lol.
Because bad threads know no borders.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:24 PM

475 posts, read 852,601 times
Why I like my truck:
1.More room to make out in.
2. I can drive over stuff.
3. Tailgating.
4. Cause the chicks dig it.
5. I can work and make money out of it.
6. I like to tick off the tree huggers.
7. I have a built in recycle bin for my beer cans.
8. With a truck I have more tactical options for when the Zombie Apocalypse happens.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:47 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
Why I like my truck:
3. Tailgating.
8. With a truck I have more tactical options for when the Zombie Apocalypse happens.
As to #1:I know a guy with a 8' bed who put a cap with darkened windows on it, laid carpet, put in some DC invertors for music/tv/fan and placed a normal mattress back there. His make out mobile.
As to #7: My Avalanche comes with a built in cooler. Pour ice in and fill with beer cans.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:27 AM

Ours is a Dodge Durango Limited with the HEMI. The backseats fold down, it has a dvd player, when we travel my youngest actually hooks up the Playstation 3 to it and occupies himself with Madden. Owning a truck or SUV has a purpose for I have 7 people in my house so a Prius just wont cut it nor do I wanna drive around in an appliance, I like the deep exhaust note of close to 400 horsepower, I wanna drive a car, not a washing machine. I mean the Asian imports are nice to don't get me wrong, I have a 2007 Suzuki SX4 and I drove from my house in Virginia to my dads house in Patterson New York on like 65 dollars. I'm not going to do that with our HEMI Durango.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:42 AM

Long Island was built by trucks and skilled tradesmen. I do not know where this elitist I'm better then everyone else attitude came from but I would imagine NYC is probably the culprit. Long Island started out as a blue-collar ex-military community. I was born and raised in Putnam/Northern Westchester part of New York and my aunt and uncle used to live right on the canal in Long Island. When I was a kid I would go visit a few weeks in the summers, and we go down for Christmas as well. I still have 2 cousins that live there. Which reminds since Long Island is by the water did the OP ever think that maybe the reason why there is so many trucks is because maybe some people own a boat? You're not going to tow one of them with a Prius.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:50 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,062,659 times
Most people dont trailer their boats. Those who do usually have smaller boats and ine seen them pulled by nothing more than a minivan

Still see no use for the average long islander to have a big pickup truck other than testosterone fueled ego.

Strange how people on here deride those who own the Mcmansions but dont dare say a word about the ridiculous choice in vehicles.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:54 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Ours is a Dodge Durango Limited with the HEMI. The backseats fold down, it has a dvd player, when we travel my youngest actually hooks up the Playstation 3 to it and occupies himself with Madden. Owning a truck or SUV has a purpose for I have 7 people in my house so a Prius just wont cut it nor do I wanna drive around in an appliance, I like the deep exhaust note of close to 400 horsepower, I wanna drive a car, not a washing machine. I mean the Asian imports are nice to don't get me wrong, I have a 2007 Suzuki SX4 and I drove from my house in Virginia to my dads house in Patterson New York on like 65 dollars. I'm not going to do that with our HEMI Durango.
A Dodge Durango is not a truck, though. Owned one ('99). It was a great mommy car for lugging strollers and pack and plays along with groceries. It did have an awesome deep exhaust sound and was fine for pulling the boat to the ramp. Got a little squirrelly when the camper was hooked up. I liked the fact that the rear seat folded down flat, and liked the body style of the 99.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:04 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Long Island was built by trucks and skilled tradesmen. I do not know where this elitist I'm better then everyone else attitude came from but I would imagine NYC is probably the culprit. Long Island started out as a blue-collar ex-military community. I was born and raised in Putnam/Northern Westchester part of New York and my aunt and uncle used to live right on the canal in Long Island. When I was a kid I would go visit a few weeks in the summers, and we go down for Christmas as well. I still have 2 cousins that live there. Which reminds since Long Island is by the water did the OP ever think that maybe the reason why there is so many trucks is because maybe some people own a boat? You're not going to tow one of them with a Prius.
LI started out as a Dutch settlement to the west and English settlement to the east. It's roots were in farming, fishing and remained that way even when the uber wealthy made LI their playground. Around that time we see Queens join NYC and Nassau break away from Queens. Moses was building parkways to the beaches and folks started enjoying day trips to LI. It wasn't until post WWII that Levitt commenced the first large scale planned development which opened the floodgates to the poor planning and congestion that LI is known for.

Here's a little FYI -- pick up beds were once smaller than the standard size we see today. Bed sizes increased to accommodate sheets of sheetrock when it was developed and became a building essential.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:07 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Why I like my truck:
3. Tailgating.
Here is S Cal the Moderator cut: language removed speeding are Prius drivers, as if a hybrid gives them a license to speed. Numero Uno reason to own a truck is to tick off the moss lickers.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-24-2013 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: