Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 04:01 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,405,776 times

Advertisements

You can self contract and have folks sign a handiman contract. Then remove some big stuff on your own, then have a few guys quickly come from a rip out service and take the remainder away in a truck.

Then just have 2-3 guys do job. Trouble is if you are a house flipper permits are extemely valuable. Folks need to see permits for brand new stuff.

If you are not moving, when and if you sell in 10-30 years no one will care about your permits

You also open a can of worms with licensed electricians and plumbers. For example I used a licensed electrician in my den remodel. Charge me $1,500. I then said if I want to pay by check, get a receipt and have him sign off and get me permit he was like $4,500 - $1,500 for work, $3,000 for permit and paperwork. trouble is some blue collar guys dont really like it.

Now my licensed plumber came next day for small job and said do you want fishing money price or wife price. I go what is difference. My wife is book keeper, she sends invoice you pay by check, I pay income tax we get a signed contract. It is full rate plus tax. I go what is fishing money price. I come by on Saturday in my personal car when I tell my wife is running errands you give me 200 bucks cash and that is that. Wife price is $500. Needless to say I went with fishing money price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 09:05 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,906,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
You can self contract and have folks sign a handiman contract. Then remove some big stuff on your own, then have a few guys quickly come from a rip out service and take the remainder away in a truck.

Then just have 2-3 guys do job. Trouble is if you are a house flipper permits are extemely valuable. Folks need to see permits for brand new stuff.

If you are not moving, when and if you sell in 10-30 years no one will care about your permits

You also open a can of worms with licensed electricians and plumbers. For example I used a licensed electrician in my den remodel. Charge me $1,500. I then said if I want to pay by check, get a receipt and have him sign off and get me permit he was like $4,500 - $1,500 for work, $3,000 for permit and paperwork. trouble is some blue collar guys dont really like it.

Now my licensed plumber came next day for small job and said do you want fishing money price or wife price. I go what is difference. My wife is book keeper, she sends invoice you pay by check, I pay income tax we get a signed contract. It is full rate plus tax. I go what is fishing money price. I come by on Saturday in my personal car when I tell my wife is running errands you give me 200 bucks cash and that is that. Wife price is $500. Needless to say I went with fishing money price.
Two things. Your thinking is off in several areas.

1). I bought my former home in 1997 and sold in 2013. I was able to buy it with no permit problems whatsoever. However, the central air that was in the home when I closed the purchase was a problem for me when I sold. The argument that it was on the original survey didn't hold water with the TNH. They blamed my attorney and the title search company. The attorney blamed the title search company for not properly flagging it. The title search company blamed the attorney. I was one of many caught unknowingly in this mess because apparently "back in the day" the town didn't care and now they are money hungry. Can only guess what they will be in 20-30 years!!!!

2). Don't know what you did electrically in a den for a $3000 permit charge. My entire kitchen remodel permit which included running all new electric and upgrading to 220 service was no where near that. I would check that electrician out, he is no doubt ripping you off OR he pulled a fast on and knew his work would not pass an underwriters inspection.

3). Hopefully the small plumbing job was not one that needs a permit or else you will be in a pinch when you try to sell.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Two things. Your thinking is off in several areas.

1). I bought my former home in 1997 and sold in 2013. I was able to buy it with no permit problems whatsoever. However, the central air that was in the home when I closed the purchase was a problem for me when I sold. The argument that it was on the original survey didn't hold water with the TNH. They blamed my attorney and the title search company. The attorney blamed the title search company for not properly flagging it. The title search company blamed the attorney. I was one of many caught unknowingly in this mess because apparently "back in the day" the town didn't care and now they are money hungry. Can only guess what they will be in 20-30 years!!!!

2). Don't know what you did electrically in a den for a $3000 permit charge. My entire kitchen remodel permit which included running all new electric and upgrading to 220 service was no where near that. I would check that electrician out, he is no doubt ripping you off OR he pulled a fast on and knew his work would not pass an underwriters inspection.

3). Hopefully the small plumbing job was not one that needs a permit or else you will be in a pinch when you try to sell.

If HVAC was not there already you need a permit. I am doing what is called "in-kind" repairs. Meaning I had permits for everything that was there.I did entire bottom half of my house due to Sandy tons of outlets, switches and lights plus all the wires that was underwater connected to box that was 2/3rds underwater.

I would have just unbolted the HVAC cleared title and rebolted HVAC back in if I was buying your house and ask for 2k off for headache.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
If HVAC was not there already you need a permit. I am doing what is called "in-kind" repairs. Meaning I had permits for everything that was there.I did entire bottom half of my house due to Sandy tons of outlets, switches and lights plus all the wires that was underwater connected to box that was 2/3rds underwater.

I would have just unbolted the HVAC cleared title and rebolted HVAC back in if I was buying your house and ask for 2k off for headache.

Hurricane Sandy relate permits are an entirely different story. In a normal home they simply back check the electric to your box and you are good to go. In the case of Sandy, the permits process became much more of a headache for the homeowner and contractor because if he installed after back checking just so far and another problem arose that could even remotely be connected with salt water infiltration he could leave himself open for a ton of trouble as a licensed contractor. In addition the towns were also greedy as this was a new revenue source they could tap into and they were milking it for all it was worth.

You can't sell the house with central air if it isn't connected as you know and buyers are not trusting of the I will disconnect this and reconnect it once we clear title school of thought. Additionally, if they wanted to make any changes to the house even to put a fence up, they would then have to legalize the a/c. Too much of a headache in my mind.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Hurricane Sandy relate permits are an entirely different story. In a normal home they simply back check the electric to your box and you are good to go. In the case of Sandy, the permits process became much more of a headache for the homeowner and contractor because if he installed after back checking just so far and another problem arose that could even remotely be connected with salt water infiltration he could leave himself open for a ton of trouble as a licensed contractor. In addition the towns were also greedy as this was a new revenue source they could tap into and they were milking it for all it was worth.

You can't sell the house with central air if it isn't connected as you know and buyers are not trusting of the I will disconnect this and reconnect it once we clear title school of thought. Additionally, if they wanted to make any changes to the house even to put a fence up, they would then have to legalize the a/c. Too much of a headache in my mind.

HVAC is a headache. My buddy in North Hempstead went to get a permit for a deck, and they slapped him with the HVAC when they saw it and raised his taxes for HVAC and deck. Even a fence permit they do the same.

Also permits after Sandy some folks got their taxes raised and although some buyers want to see permits when you sell as time goes on they wont care and although I want to sell in 1-4 years as I need a bigger house it might open another can of worms if I pull out dozens of permits and they are like holy crap you had that much water in your house.

Pretty much for new bathrroms and kitchens in non-incorporated areas no one gets a permit.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
HVAC is a headache. My buddy in North Hempstead went to get a permit for a deck, and they slapped him with the HVAC when they saw it and raised his taxes for HVAC and deck. Even a fence permit they do the same.

Also permits after Sandy some folks got their taxes raised and although some buyers want to see permits when you sell as time goes on they wont care and although I want to sell in 1-4 years as I need a bigger house it might open another can of worms if I pull out dozens of permits and they are like holy crap you had that much water in your house.

Pretty much for new bathrroms and kitchens in non-incorporated areas no one gets a permit.
Not trying to be a doomsayer but if you live on/near the water unless you find very uneducated buyer that has not done his homework, they will be aware of the amount of water in your home to some degree. Don't want to bust the bubble but even if the buyer isn't aware the bank they will get a mortgage from, will be so I would suggest getting the permits. If you have a good agent she/he can put a positive spin on it if it should come up and many times the permit question doesn't come into play until you are in contract. If you don't have them then, you my friend are screwed, believe me you don't want to lose a buyer because they don't want to wait for a permit to clear. It happened to a neighbor of mind and he lost the sale due to a non permitted deck.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Not trying to be a doomsayer but if you live on/near the water unless you find very uneducated buyer that has not done his homework, they will be aware of the amount of water in your home to some degree. Don't want to bust the bubble but even if the buyer isn't aware the bank they will get a mortgage from, will be so I would suggest getting the permits. If you have a good agent she/he can put a positive spin on it if it should come up and many times the permit question doesn't come into play until you are in contract. If you don't have them then, you my friend are screwed, believe me you don't want to lose a buyer because they don't want to wait for a permit to clear. It happened to a neighbor of mind and he lost the sale due to a non permitted deck.

Actually what they do is ask to see a copy of your annual flood insurance statement. The statement lists claims your house has had. My annual flood insurance statement says no flood claims in history of house since 1955. Yes my house has never had a flood insurance claim in 60 years. Full flood insurance is $525 on my house. I only got flood insurance after sandy, grandfathering got re-instated New owner can inherite my current flood insurance unless they expand house greater than 50%.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:51 PM

84 posts, read 227,904 times
Hi all, thank you for your input. I'm officially done with the renovation and moved in. I've been a Long Islander for half a year already! I went through with No problem at all.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:53 PM

84 posts, read 227,904 times
Hi, I did go through with the renovation. I did not finish any basement, but i did give my house a face lift with a few coats of paint and updated the kitchen and two bathrooms, removed carpet and sand and refinished the floor. No problem at all.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:53 PM

18 posts, read 33,963 times
I bought a house in West Hempstead and I am also planning on remodeling my kitchen among other cosmetics things including changing the fence. Would I need a permit for that???? is too expensive??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: