U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:48 AM

84 posts, read 213,827 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am planning to update my kitchen, remove some carpet and paint my house that I just recently purchased. After doing some research, I found the application for Maintenance Existing Building on the Town of North Hempstead website. However, it asks for architect sign off and etcs. I am not making structural changes to the house at all. Do I really need to pull up the survey, then get architect sign offs for this?! This seem completely unnecessary!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 01:46 PM

12,205 posts, read 15,605,446 times
No and no

Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 AM

25 posts, read 141,481 times
You do not need an Application to Maintain. That is the form that is used to legalize Existing unpermitted construction. What you need is application for building permit. OR if you are not altering any walls doors or windows you can file a plumbing permit for the new kitchen sink, Stove, Ice machine. If you do the plumbing you will need a plumber to sign the application. If you do a building permit you will need an architect to draw plans and a survey of your property as well.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the response.

After talking to my husband, we have some new idea for the kitchen and want to open up one wall and put in an island. Do we need to put in a permit for that? I read some forms that it required an architect to submit drawing, which will probably costs 6 to 10k. Is it worth it for me to open it up?

We also found out the oil tank in the basement wasn't done properly because we had a gas person come in for an estimate to convert to gas. However, due to the efficiency, we decide to keep it. If we apply for a permit, does it mean the inspector can come to the basement and check the oil tank as well.

This renovation process is way too stressful. Long Island has so many rules and I regret buying in L.I!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:33 PM

59 posts, read 116,993 times
Yep, if you want to take down a wall, Town of North Hempstead will definitely want you to file a building permit. It requires drawings, surveys, all sorts of insurances and your first born child. It is worth actually going down to the Buildings Department to talk to one of the guys there to see exactly what you need.

Even if you are doing a cosmetic update (e.g. new cabinets, countertops), the ToNH requires a plumbing permit if you are putting in new (gas) appliances. It's a huge pain in the neck. And yes, it costs tons of money and takes a lot of time. And they wonder why so many people don't pull the permit!!! Very aggravating.

Good luck!

Old 09-16-2013, 12:12 PM

Thanks all.

Sigh, we are playing with different ideas here. We want to make an open kitchen and put in a gas stove. Now... should we get the permit? If we end up not getting the permit, how is that going to affect us in the future?

Old 09-16-2013, 12:47 PM

400 posts, read 708,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyang427 View Post
Thanks all.

Sigh, we are playing with different ideas here. We want to make an open kitchen and put in a gas stove. Now... should we get the permit? If we end up not getting the permit, how is that going to affect us in the future?

You technically need a permit for a almost everything. Replacing a window, getting a new dishwasher etc... I really feel that some of this stuff is overkill. Its not the actual permit process that drives me crazy.. afterall, I have no problem going through the extra steps... My main issue is that not everything in my house is up to code... (Well I do not really know that), however I read too much and have seen some of the problems with inspectros coming in to peoples houses and telling them stuff not even being changed is not up to code and that they have to fix it. Maybe I am just ignorant, but thats the impression I get. I live in an old house, and I cannot afford to start having to rip everything out.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:42 PM

That is my concern as well. I just bought the house and inherited some of the old problems. Now, we are also under a tight budget for renovation. With that said, i would really hate having to hire an architect to draw up some pictures just for a small job... I am just afraid I might get caught and end up wasting time....

Old 09-17-2013, 07:35 AM

400 posts, read 708,777 times
Quote:
That is my concern as well. I just bought the house and inherited some of the old problems. Now, we are also under a tight budget for renovation. With that said, i would really hate having to hire an architect to draw up some pictures just for a small job... I am just afraid I might get caught and end up wasting time....
Are you sure you need an architects drawing? I know the TONH did away with the need for surveys for common interior renovations. Dont quote me on that, but I read an article somewhere with a little blurb about it.

Not sure if you said you got that information from the buildings department or not.

I understand your dilemma... Its hard enough to live here and then all of these fees and cost of work taxes, etc... are so high.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:02 PM

19 posts, read 31,699 times
Jyang, did you ever go through with any of this? First time owner and this permit process looks like the biggest pia. Not to mention, I've already seen licensed contractors want to charge...

Basically, I'm looking to do this at a minimum if everything else is going to require a licensed contractor.

Remove all drywall in the basement and add insulation (including bathroom walls - have permit for the bathroom)

Tile the basement

Remove carpet in all rooms upstairs and add wood floors.

Add recessed lighting into the ceilings

Thanks

Quote:
Hi, I am planning to update my kitchen,
remove some carpet and paint my house that I just recently purchased. After doing some research, I found the application for Maintenance Existing Building on the Town of North Hempstead website. However, it asks for architect sign off and etcs. I am not making structural changes to the house at all. Do I really need to pull up the survey, then get architect sign offs for this?! This seem completely unnecessary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: