Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 01:30 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,553 times

Advertisements

I live on a cul de sac and we are all very friendly. One of our neighbor's daughters got married last year and we all went. We all chat and get along great. A new family moved in a few weeks ago and everyone has gone over to welcome them. We feel extremely lucky to have such great neighbors that we like and even more importantly trust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 01:44 PM

886 posts, read 2,646,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
I live on a cul de sac and we are all very friendly. One of our neighbor's daughters got married last year and we all went. We all chat and get along great. A new family moved in a few weeks ago and everyone has gone over to welcome them. We feel extremely lucky to have such great neighbors that we like and even more importantly trust.
Come on...be serious for once.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:38 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
We are really good friends with our neighbors across the street. We have keys to each others homes, we pet sit for each other, get together often and talk regularly. Our neighborhood is pretty seasonal so we watch the house next door and one on the next block for the owners that only visit a few weeks out of the year. We have new neighbors next door and we've already gone over to say hi and offer to help them with the projects they started.
We have a beach club so we chit chat with other neighbors at the beach. DH and I were both on the board of directors at various points so we know a lot of neighbors from that.
Our neighborhood organizes regular community events like a beach BBQ, camporee on the beach, holiday parties, kiddie activities, tween and teen nights, Zumba, bingo, boat races, fishing contest and a slew of other things. All run by volunteers so people work together.
If you like the old fashioned way of life where people stop and say hi and lend a hand this is a great place to live.
Having a sense of community and people that care was extremely important to us.
My mom is close friends with her 2 neighbors like this, they have keys to her house, my mom has no pets and won't pet sit but she will take in their mail and water their lawn if they are away. As for my husband he would never have not gotten that chummy or close with a neighbor like you it's just not his thing. He doesn't trust anyone enough to give them a key to our house. Only my MIL has one because she's the closest. It is nice to have a sense of community because It was that way when I was a kid in my old neighborhood. My husband is one of those who doesn't like people knowing his business either which I understand. Except for the woman across from me I really don't talk to any one else. Oh and we do watch out for each other and if something is suspicious at either home we tell each other about it, there is only one neighbor next to me on the right and he's never home.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:18 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
NO because I have lots of tools that they don't
So do we but we do not mind sharing when needed. After Sandy, we bought a working generator and my husband let our neighbors borrow it for an afternoon; same with a few other tools we gladly let them use. As a thank you, they gave us homemade cookies..

To answer OPs question - we have a 'wave hello' relationship mostly but our neighbors to one side are much friendlier with my husband because he likes to talk shop (cars) all the time which my husband loves. The neighbors on our other side are new (recently moved in) so its just wave hello for now. they have 4 kids so I think time will tell if I will be annoyed if there are loud teenager gatherings on their lawn/backyard..

On my parents side in Queens, the houses are very close together so my parents know everyone (thanks to my very chatty dad who likes to be nosy..lol). We had a good relationship with families next door and across from my parents house, that I actually invited them to our wedding!

Old 08-27-2013, 05:03 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
NO way!!! would my husband lend any tools out not even to his own brothers because he'd never get them back or he would get them back but not in the condition he gave them in. LOL

Old 08-27-2013, 05:17 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I have one neighbor that I will speak with at length every so often but the rest are mostly just say "hi" and wave hello.

Same here. Probably better off that way.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:22 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I don't want to know ANYBODY.
We will give the occassional obligatory smile and/or wave and that's it. And that's only when absolutely necessary.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:42 PM

487 posts, read 544,944 times
We have great neighbors, but we do not really socialize with them. There are chats and waves outside and we all look out for each other. In an emergency, we are all there for each other. We feel fortunate to have nice neighbors.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Great neighbors on either side of house and behind house. Other great neighbors on block, others that we really have minimal interaction with. Many on my block have lived here for 15 years or more and/or grew up on the block.

It helps somewhat offset the usual complaints of living on the Island.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:35 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
I prefer to keep it to occasional chit chat and a wave when we pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island