Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 10:50 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Everything on hear is how much money/benefits cops make. What about our Nurses? They are in the healthcare field and DO NOT get to carry health insurance into retirement like your cops/teachers.

Now you need AT LEAST Bacheolrs degree. Yes, they get paid JUST "OK" however, they work every minute for there money.

I dont care how smart you are, how much a criminal you are....if you do not have your health, what good is it?

As I posted in another thread, I guess we all have choices.

CLICK PIC BELOW:
To think they are the only ones who work every minute for their money is ludicrous. They work hard- so do a lot of other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 653 times
Default you are the one with no idea

I've done both, teach and work in various types of companies, from very large companies to a relatively small company. Teaching is much harder, many more hours and much more exhausting. My husband is currently a teacher of 40 years and he has sooooo much work it isn't funny. He gets to work at 6:00am to setup his classroom for each class for the day. He is a science teacher so there are many labs to setup and cleanup, bulletin boards to maintain, computers to setup, etc. He works at least an hour and a half after school each day and works about 4-5 hours on Sat and most of Sunday (he's up at 6am to start his paperwork and works till dinnertime) doing the huge amount of paperwork that goes with teaching. He gets about a 20 min lunch and works through it while munching. He works about 70 hours a week, no kidding. He always loved it, but they are pushing more and more work (nonsense work) on teachers in NJ, that he says it isn't fun anymore. He has always been very lively in the classroom, has always gotten kids to come back to say he prepared them well for college, but he is so exhausted form all the "bs" extra paperwork and in classroom activities ("bully" classes, etc.) they are giving them that it does nothing but take away teaching time from the real subjects and takes away from his energy level in the classroom. He has always been an exceptional teacher and declares they are ruining it for kids (less teaching time, less energy,etc).

Old 10-12-2013, 02:11 PM

475 posts, read 852,916 times
Teaching, nursing, and police work suck rock. Overnight shifts, holidays, weekends, you would have to pay me a heck of a lot of money to do it. Teachers have it made with the weekends and holidays off but if you only work 180 days out of the year why should you make a lot of money? The unions force higher pay and benefits for a profession that was once considered menial woman's work back in the 1800's or so. You used to go to trade school to be a nurse, in which case there is nothing wrong with trade school but that's how it used to be. States wonder why they go broke and run out of money. Having a good job with benefits is a good thing and employees who bust butt getting the training they need and are willing to sacrifice nights, holidays, and weekends should get paid well, but like most liberal states the unions expect more then what the current market can bare which freezes hiring, raises unemployment, and keeps local economies at bay when less people are working that means less people are spending.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:15 PM

886 posts, read 2,647,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacationRentalsInWildwood View Post
I've done both, teach and work in various types of companies, from very large companies to a relatively small company. Teaching is much harder, many more hours and much more exhausting. .
Ooooooh boy. You're going to get from the teacher lovers on this site.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:12 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
I've done both, teach and work in various types of companies, from very large companies to a relatively small company. Teaching is much harder, many more hours and much more exhausting. My husband is currently a teacher of 40 years and he has sooooo much work it isn't funny. He gets to work at 6:00am to setup his classroom for each class for the day. He is a science teacher so there are many labs to setup and cleanup, bulletin boards to maintain, computers to setup, etc. He works at least an hour and a half after school each day and works about 4-5 hours on Sat and most of Sunday (he's up at 6am to start his paperwork and works till dinnertime) doing the huge amount of paperwork that goes with teaching. He gets about a 20 min lunch and works through it while munching. He works about 70 hours a week, no kidding. He always loved it, but they are pushing more and more work (nonsense work) on teachers in NJ, that he says it isn't fun anymore. He has always been very lively in the classroom, has always gotten kids to come back to say he prepared them well for college, but he is so exhausted form all the "bs" extra paperwork and in classroom activities ("bully" classes, etc.) they are giving them that it does nothing but take away teaching time from the real subjects and takes away from his energy level in the classroom. He has always been an exceptional teacher and declares they are ruining it for kids (less teaching time, less energy,etc).
This is about the 3rd pro cops and teachers poster from a one time user, but if your going to go tto the effort of registering at least make it believable I mean 70 hour weeks. Someone has too much time on their hands.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
If the paperwork being required by NJ has become excessive, why not retire and make room for a young, new teacher to take his place? After 40 years in the classroom and such long hours during the school year, don't you both deserve retirement? I vividly recall one of the older teachers dropping dead of a heart attack in school. The principal had all classroom doors closed so his body could be removed without the students being affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island