Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 05:43 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,385,639 times

Advertisements

There are sometimes limits on how many trees you can remove from your property if you fall within the pine barrens or other protected areas. Check with the Town, if he removed the trees improperly from a protected area, he will either be fined or have to replant trees or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,595,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
Trees have their pros (pretty, nice shade in summer, windbreak in winter) and their cons (drop leaves and caterpillars in the pool, interfere with solar heating, might endanger house if not felled, obstruct view of the sky (for astronomers)). Your property=your trees. Do with them whatever you want.
If someone moves into an area which is heavily treed, they should respect the fact that people living within the neighborhood must the appearance the trees give and have taken pains to ensure the health of the trees. I had a major dimwit buy the property across from me and he leveled almost every tree on the lot, save for 3 large oaks on the property line. That was 6 years ago, and to this day, it is the only house for blocks which has so few trees.

As for astronomers -- the light pollution in most residential neighborhoods on LI seriously hampers viewing.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:48 PM

8,802 posts, read 21,215,007 times
Here in Santa Cruz (and most of California) , you are not ALLOWED to cut down older trees without permission from the city council.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-21-2010, 08:12 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,937,730 times
Wait are you saying it's illegal to cut/trim trees on your own property? I have around 20-25 in my backyard, no one would care if I cut all of them down.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:40 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,385,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Wait are you saying it's illegal to cut/trim trees on your own property? I have around 20-25 in my backyard, no one would care if I cut all of them down.
Yes, it can be. If the tree is covered by a preservation order, you live in a conservation district (such as the Pine Barrens), or if the house is in a new development whereby the owners are limited to cutting down trees through the agreement the builder made to only cut down a certain percentage of trees, then it would be illegal to cut down trees.

As we well know, just because it's your property doesn't mean you can do anything you want - there are zoning laws, covenants and other such hindrances that restrict your right to do whatever you want, whenever you want on your property.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:42 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,506,682 times
Town of Smithtown allows only one tree per year to be removed from your property. I do not think its ever enforced.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:46 AM

103 posts, read 376,865 times
we recently had to remove a dying tree from our property in TOBAY. We had to submit an application to the town, they sent someone by to inspect the tree and rule that it was indeed dying, then we received a permit (free) to cut it down. After the tree guy came and cut it down, the town came back to reinspect the property.

If the tree wasn't dying and we just wanted to cut it down, there would have been fees involved and/or the requirement to plant another tree somewhere on the property.

I thought it was a bit much just for cutting down one tree, but I'm glad that TOBAY has taken this type of initiative. I'm sure the system isn't bulletproof, but it's a good start.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:57 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,313,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
There are sometimes limits on how many trees you can remove from your property if you fall within the pine barrens or other protected areas. Check with the Town, if he removed the trees improperly from a protected area, he will either be fined or have to replant trees or both.
Town of Islip considers first five feet of your property from the road to be theirs. If any tree is in that five feet and you want to cut it down, you need to get a permit from the town.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 AM

1,918 posts, read 7,087,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We couldn't stop his plan, but we called him for what he was. The house wasn't completed, we had put up enough hurdles to slow him down and cost him additional money that he sold it unfinished.

The new neighbor is planting all new trees and gardens. PHEW!
What did you all exactly do, what hurdles did you create that slowed him down, cost him $$ and then ultimately made him leave? I would like to know the secret to this.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:37 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,595,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
What did you all exactly do, what hurdles did you create that slowed him down, cost him $$ and then ultimately made him leave? I would like to know the secret to this.

You have to be a royal pain in the patoot, be familiar with the code, and willing to put in a little research to see what you are up against.

As I don't know whether or not you could be this same individual, I won't post details on the public forum. None of our actions were illegal, but the details are very specific to this particular case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island