Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:58 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post

Colleges will not enroll a lot of students from the same geographical area. You will never see 10 kids from one high school or town all getting into Harvard.

That is true to a degree.

I am sure Stuyvesant has 10 going to Harvard if they chose. I am absolutely sure my high school back in the days (Cardozo HS in Bayside) always had about 3 getting in the to Harvard. I am sure many schools throughout nyc had zero acceptances getting in from their respective school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 10:14 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,944 times
In my graduating class of Great Neck South in the early 90s, 2 kids went to Harvard. The easiest Ivy league seems to be Cornell, over a dozen kids got accepted there.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:35 AM

^^same here.. it was cornell/Columbia....always dozen if not more... top 15% of the graduating class is almost a lock. top 15-20% has hope as well. I assume it is harder to get in today.

One thing I notice students who are just great test takers....the ones who just studies & studies....like a machine...they tend to have a tough time adjusting to realities of the world. I seen quite a handful of them burned out by the time they hit college.....As I recall, that 15% freshman dropout rate at my university did scare me a little.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:27 AM

796 posts, read 1,755,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I always wondered why Garden City students were absent from the Intel competition (not that its a big deal in the grand scheme of life).
They're not entirely absent, GC's science research department tries to get out at least one Intel application a year, and they have a winner every few years. The problem is that not enough of the students care about scientific research to really make a decent project. That drive is in other schools, but not Garden City for some reason.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
^^same here.. it was cornell/Columbia....always dozen if not more... top 15% of the graduating class is almost a lock. top 15-20% has hope as well. I assume it is harder to get in today.

One thing I notice students who are just great test takers....the ones who just studies & studies....like a machine...they tend to have a tough time adjusting to realities of the world. I seen quite a handful of them burned out by the time they hit college.....As I recall, that 15% freshman dropout rate at my university did scare me a little.
Columbia is definitely much harder to get into than Cornell

Old 09-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
Columbia is definitely much harder to get into than Cornell
definitely not during my era of early 90s. If it was grad school, I would agree with that assessment

Old 09-05-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
definitely not during my era of early 90s. If it was grad school, I would agree with that assessment
Well today, GC sends anywhere from 3 - 8 students to Cornell every year (8 this year) and occasionally 1 or 2 to Columbia (none this year). Columbia has an acceptance rate of 7% while Cornell is about 16%

Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
They're not entirely absent, GC's science research department tries to get out at least one Intel application a year, and they have a winner every few years. The problem is that not enough of the students care about scientific research to really make a decent project. That drive is in other schools, but not Garden City for some reason.

Garden City is not among the more diverse schools. If you look at the Newsday article dedicated to the Intel Scholars simply look at the pictures or look at the names. For the most part, they are Asian students. It goes without station that many of the Asian countries place a far greater value on education than the us does.

Now to head off a barrage of comments. Yes, it is possible that the students who are named or pictured have parents that are American by birth as opposed to immigrant students. The simple point is more diverse districts seemingly have Intel scholars than other less diverse schools.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:43 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Garden City is not among the more diverse schools. If you look at the Newsday article dedicated to the Intel Scholars simply look at the pictures or look at the names. For the most part, they are Asian students. It goes without station that many of the Asian countries place a far greater value on education than the us does.

Now to head off a barrage of comments. Yes, it is possible that the students who are named or pictured have parents that are American by birth as opposed to immigrant students. The simple point is more diverse districts seemingly have Intel scholars than other less diverse schools.
Are you trying to say that schools with more Asian students tend to have more Intel Scholars? If so, you are clouding the issue with the word 'diverse'. (I am not saying I agree or disagree).

Old 09-06-2013, 09:06 AM

Intel scholars aren't representative of the whole school.....it is like saying a basketball team racial make up represent the whole schools makeup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island