U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:20 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,288,681 times

Advertisements

Just got off the phone with my Oil company.
550 gallons ......SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All we did was put in new windows and a burner and we dropped from 1100 in 1 year.

Granted...it was a mild winter but not too shabby.

How much oil did you guys use last year?

We heat 1100sf on the main floor plus our finished bsmt (2000sft in all) all 1 zone.

Maybe we should start building smaller?

(The guy I bought this house from raised 3 kids in it)

Maybe the cost of heating will force that hand?

Just trying to be positive about this winters agony.

Stay warm

C
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 11:31 AM

491 posts, read 716,636 times
Im running a rice coal stove with and automatic loader and blower (Mattituck) I also have the whole upstairs floor shut off and stairway sealed from drafts.
Between school and property taxes, health insurence, and oil costs it's the only way I can afford it without giving up the boat.
2200 SQ ft

I got a good taste of winter earlier this week

Last edited by Joe L; 11-15-2007 at 11:39 AM..

Old 11-15-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Im running a rice coal stove with and automatic loader and blower (Mattituck) I also have the whole upstairs floor shut off and stairway sealed from drafts.
Between school and property taxes, health insurence, and oil costs it's the only way I can afford it without giving up the boat.
2200 SQ ft

I got a good taste of winter earlier this week
How do you like your coal stove?

My Sister has a pellet stove upstate and swares by it.

based on the acorns I think were in for a long cold Winter.

Its the Perfect Storm (economically) factor in a likely $4 a gal for Gas.

We're effed

C

Old 11-15-2007, 12:05 PM

208 posts, read 859,261 times
how much do new windows factor in saving energy as opposed to wall insulation? I ask because I live in a 1940s cape, and I sincerely doubt that any of the previous owners opened up the walls and insulated properly. Without the expense of going for blown in insulation or ripping the walls down, it seems the only thing I can control are the windows, and the doorways.

I pay roughly $140-150 per month for gas on the monthly keyspan plan. I try to keep the house at 68 degrees, but have my automatic thermostat set to bump it up to 70 in the morning and in the evening. I also think we have the original boiler here too, so I am sure that is not helping. Does anyone know if this is an average expense for a gas bill, bearing in mind, I need to keep the house semi warm all day since I am here all day with my son...I can't drop the house to 65 or so like I am sure a lot of people do when they go to work.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
How do you like your coal stove?

My Sister has a pellet stove upstate and swares by it.

based on the acorns I think were in for a long cold Winter.

Its the Perfect Storm (economically) factor in a likely $4 a gal for Gas.

We're effed

C

acorns?? explain.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
acorns?? explain.
For the Squirrels.

Mother Nature always gives them what they need.

Apparently they need a lot this year.

Long cold winter.

C

Old 11-15-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
how much do new windows factor in saving energy as opposed to wall insulation? I ask because I live in a 1940s cape, and I sincerely doubt that any of the previous owners opened up the walls and insulated properly. Without the expense of going for blown in insulation or ripping the walls down, it seems the only thing I can control are the windows, and the doorways.

I pay roughly $140-150 per month for gas on the monthly keyspan plan. I try to keep the house at 68 degrees, but have my automatic thermostat set to bump it up to 70 in the morning and in the evening. I also think we have the original boiler here too, so I am sure that is not helping. Does anyone know if this is an average expense for a gas bill, bearing in mind, I need to keep the house semi warm all day since I am here all day with my son...I can't drop the house to 65 or so like I am sure a lot of people do when they go to work.
Windows helped a bit.

Separate water heater helped too.

My old unit was pretty inefficient.

Splurged for the Riello/Peerless.

No regrets

C

Old 11-15-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Windows helped a bit.

Separate water heater helped too.

My old unit was pretty inefficient.

Splurged for the Riello/Peerless.

No regrets

C
OK, so I know yours is oil, but in your estimation, how much $$$ for a new steam gas boiler + hot water heater?

If you were to do one or the other (windows or brand new boiler) which would you do?

Old 11-15-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
OK, so I know yours is oil, but in your estimation, how much $$$ for a new steam gas boiler + hot water heater?

If you were to do one or the other (windows or brand new boiler) which would you do?
No clue

Id start a gas heat thread.

C

Old 11-15-2007, 03:03 PM

6,727 posts, read 7,810,757 times
Quote:

I've got the same situation: original boiler in 40's cape no insulation, and I'm paying about the same. LIPA will raise the monthly plan a little higher during the winter, then lower it back down so you won't have an outstanding balance at the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: