Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:08 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
My question is, what kind of jobs do the people making even $120k have, other than teachers and cops?
it's household income
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 11:13 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Every time you post, i cant help but wonder how you even got accepted to MIT...
Every time you post, I can't but help wonder how you even got accepted to law school.

Quote:
Here are some examples of possible careers of people earning those 120K+ salaries: attorneys,
I thought you were in the past whining that attorneys don't make much money on Long Island?

Quote:
doctors, experienced physical therapists, chiropractors or other health care professionals or administrators,
Maybe.

Quote:
finance workers (hedge fund managers, investment bankers, bank VPs),
Those jobs are mostly in the city, and they require ridiculous hours. My post specifically asked for jobs on Long Island.

Quote:
experienced and well-heeled real estate brokers,
Someone at my age is not likely to be "experienced and well-heeled" in any field, but you all think my salary is low for my age.

Quote:
art museum directors/senior curators,
I don't think so.

Quote:
owners of profitable restaurants/eateries or local businesses,
That requires ridiculous hours.

Quote:
actuaries, engineers,
Wrong! I am an engineer, and I do not make $120k. Very few, if any engineers make that much money.

Quote:
experienced court reporters, paralegals in large law firms, HR managers, senior level civil workers, and the list goes on..

Old 09-10-2013, 11:25 AM

67 posts, read 124,939 times
Paralegals in large law firms ... $120k!? Please give me some names of places for my fiance to apply too in that case! With 5 years of Exp. in Workers Comp law + degree in paralegal studies she is having a hard time finding a place that offers her $60k yrly !

Old 09-10-2013, 01:28 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganx View Post
Paralegals in large law firms ... $120k!? Please give me some names of places for my fiance to apply too in that case! With 5 years of Exp. in Workers Comp law + degree in paralegal studies she is having a hard time finding a place that offers her $60k yrly !
I said paras in large firms, and these are competitive jobs that usually start new hires at a lower range like 50-65K and with raises/bonuses, those salaries end up being way over 6 figures. My friend is a paralegal at a large firm in LI (main office is in Manhattan, but she provides remote support to offices all over the country and internationally) and her bonuses have ranged anywhere from 30-50K. Woudnt surprise me if she is at 120K after 10+ years of experience (her title is Senior supervising paralegal). Of course she works ridiculous hours, but mits' question didn't ask "which jobs on LI pay 120K that dont require crazy hours?". If you wanna make the $$, most of the time you gotta hustle for it, baby.

mitsdude:: Lawyers who are starting out don't make much money on LI, that is true but you would be a complete idiot to make such a broad statement about all lawyers when the fact is, over a career span, lawyers still have the capacity to make a great income depending on their niche field, reputation, area of law, client list, demand for X service, etc. It is not uncommon for patent lawyers to come out of law school wuth 160K offers already in their hands from IP firms. I happen to be in the lower 6 figure range salary-wise now but I work on LI because my firm has branches in Manhattan and upstate NY. And you may scoff at the salaries of some of the professions I listed but you would be surprised how people really earn that in a year once overtime and bonuses are included. Like I mentioned in an older post, I used to handle refinance real estate closings and routinely reviewed borrower's financial paperwork - and I could see exactly what their gross monthly salaries were - and many of them were regular blue collar workers (not just overpaid cops/teachers) taking home well over $5500-6K/month.

If you really are an engineer as you claim, you should be smart enough to know that engineers at the very top level positions, particularly in consulting roles, can do very well for themselves.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:29 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
My question is, what kind of jobs do the people making even $120k have, other than teachers and cops?
what planet are you from?

Old 09-10-2013, 01:32 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
whoever brainwashed you did a hell of a job!

Old 09-10-2013, 01:50 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,428 times
Quote:

Wrong! I am an engineer, and I do not make $120k. Very few, if any engineers make that much money.
I'm an engineer not 10 years out of school and I do make that money. So do all the guys I work with. I find it very easy for an engineer to pass the 100K mark, it's the 200k mark that's hard

Old 09-10-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
I'm an engineer not 10 years out of school and I do make that money. So do all the guys I work with. I find it very easy for an engineer to pass the 100K mark, it's the 200k mark that's hard
What field of engineering are you in? Keep in mind that there is no such field as "engineering". There are many different fields that have "engineering" in their title, but they require different degrees and experience from each other.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:20 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
perhaps mitsui isn't a good engineer

In my area (which is on that linky)...I do not know every neighbor's job in my area...there are at least two experienced tech engineer in my 3 block radius. I am sure one of them is a certified network engineer who manages a department.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I said paras in large firms, and these are competitive jobs that usually start new hires at a lower range like 50-65K and with raises/bonuses, those salaries end up being way over 6 figures. My friend is a paralegal at a large firm in LI (main office is in Manhattan, but she provides remote support to offices all over the country and internationally) and her bonuses have ranged anywhere from 30-50K. Woudnt surprise me if she is at 120K after 10+ years of experience (her title is Senior supervising paralegal). Of course she works ridiculous hours, but mits' question didn't ask "which jobs on LI pay 120K that dont require crazy hours?". If you wanna make the $$, most of the time you gotta hustle for it, baby.
But there is no point in making money if you don't have the time to enjoy it.

Quote:
mitsdude
Quote:
:: Lawyers who are starting out don't make much money on LI, that is true but you would be a complete idiot to make such a broad statement about all lawyers when the fact is, over a career span, lawyers still have the capacity to make a great income depending on their niche field, reputation, area of law, client list, demand for X service, etc. It is not uncommon for patent lawyers to come out of law school wuth 160K offers already in their hands from IP firms. I happen to be in the lower 6 figure range salary-wise now but I work on LI because my firm has branches in Manhattan and upstate NY.
You were the one who was whining about lawyer salaries. You like to accuse me of whining and being entitled. Fine, but I'm going to point out when you do the same.

Quote:
And you may scoff at the salaries of some of the professions I listed but you would be surprised how people really earn that in a year once overtime and bonuses are included. Like I mentioned in an older post, I used to handle refinance real estate closings and routinely reviewed borrower's financial paperwork - and I could see exactly what their gross monthly salaries were - and many of them were regular blue collar workers (not just overpaid cops/teachers) taking home well over $5500-6K/month.
$6k per month is only $72,000.

Quote:
If you really are an engineer as you claim, you should be smart enough to know that engineers at the very top level positions, particularly in consulting roles, can do very well for themselves.
But someone my age isn't going to be at a very top level position yet. People on this board seem to think I have a bad salary for my age. Comparing myself to a top level position is comparing apples to oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island