Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 03:44 PM

429 posts, read 853,176 times

Advertisements

Last week, I had an incident on the LIRR. I want to know if my reaction was justified.

On Thursday, 9/5, I left my office at 5:00 pm to catch the 5:23 train to Long Beach, where I'd transfer in Jamaica to catch the Ronkonkoma train to Bethpage. I've done this plenty of times before and even with walking home from the train station, I normally get home no later than 6:30.

They were experiencing 20-40 minute system-wide delays that day, due to an LIRR employee accidentally cutting a cable that controls signals in two of the four east river tunnels, which occurred at 3:30 pm.

This wasn't a big deal to me - delays happen all the time. Finally, the 5:23 train left Penn Station around 5:40 (20 min late). It was traveling VERY slowly to Jamaica, so we didn't actually get there until around 6. We waited another 15 minutes on the platform at Jamaica with the Long Beach train sitting there not moving (usually, the Ronkonkoma train pulls in right behind it within a few minutes). Finally, the Long Beach train left and they put up the sign for the Ronkonkoma train - only it was skipping Bethpage. I forget what the first stop was going to be, but it was too far east for me. So, it appeared that they cancelled the connecting train without making an announcement or anything.

I ran upstairs to try to find another train that would get me to Bethpage or closer to it. There was a Huntington train a few tracks away leaving in 2 minutes, that would take me to Hicksville. I ran down the steps to catch it, checked the sign to make sure it would stop in Hicksville and got on the train. It was one of the really old trains, so there were no signs on the train. The doors closed and the conductor said, "This is a Hempstead train making stops at Hollis...etc."

I got up and asked the ticket collector if the train was stopping at Hicksville. He said no. I asked why the sign said it was and he said, "They had the wrong sign up." I had to get off that train at Bellerose to catch another train BACK to Jamaica to catch another train to Bethpage. At Bellerose, I waited for the 6:26 train back to Jamaica, which was late. I got on and there were only a few people on it, but the ticket collector was coming around to check tickets.

Now, I don't commute everyday. I take the LIRR 2-3 times a week, which means I don't buy a monthly pass. Instead, I usually buy two 10-trip tickets, giving me 20 trips a month. These tickets cost me $125 each, which comes to $25/day. I realized that in all the craziness of this commute, no one had punched my ticket yet, which sometimes happens when the system is this big of a mess (though, not often).

The ticket collector approached me and asked for my ticket. I said, "I'm actually headed in the opposite direction of where I'm trying to go. My ticket is from Penn, but I'm going back to Jamaica to get the train I need, because my original train was canceled." She said, "Okay, let me just see your ticket." So, I took it out and handed it to her and she proceeded to punch it. At this point, I was really frustrated by the fact that I had inadvertently taken the wrong train (because they had the wrong sign up), that they had inexplicably canceled my original connecting train and that at this point, it's 6:45 and I'm still headed WEST to get another train, so that I can go home.

In the calmest voice possible, I said, "You're charging me for this trip?" She replied, "Well, you're not on a cab, are you?" I said, "No, but I would have gotten home sooner if I was." I said, "I'm sorry, I just don't think I should be charged for a trip that has taken double the amount of time it normally does, because the wrong sign was posted for the train that I got on, especially when I'm paying full price for this trip (not the discounted monthly ticket amount - although I'd argue that they shouldn't have to pay, either)." She replied all nasty like, "You're still getting to where you're going, so you have to pay." I said, "I don't want to pay for this trip." She said, "Then, you have to get off the train." I said, "I'm not getting off the train." She said, "Then, I reserve the right to arrest you."

Now, at this point, it was a moot point, because she had already punched my ticket. But I was just so angry and I felt completely powerless. There really was NOTHING I could do to stand up for myself. I took the ticket back, fuming mad.

I thought about getting her badge number to report her, but I didn't think it'd get me anywhere. I was literally on that train for six minutes, because I was only two stops away from Jamaica when I turned around to get on my way back to it.

I never cursed at her or yelled or anything, but I was really, really upset. She acted like I was assaulting her in my efforts to stand up for myself. I've been riding the train for six years now (in the past, I rode it every day) and I completely understand that delays occur. But the way this was handled was just a total mess. Not just because of the canceled connecting train, but also posting the wrong sign, especially for a train with no internal signs AND the announcement wasn't made until after the doors closed. Was I completely out of line by saying I didn't think I should be charged for the ride? What could I have done differently?

By the way, in the end, I would have had to wait almost 40 minutes for the next train stopping at Bethpage and at this point, it was close to 7 pm, so I took a train to Hicksville and paid for a cab to get me home from there. So, I paid $25 for my commute that day, plus another $10 for a cab ride. How infuriating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 03:49 PM

537 posts, read 1,448,371 times
Just another example of LIRR stupidity.

Get her badge number. Go to customer service at Penn and get refunded for that trip.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:04 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
There isn't anything you could have done differently, so either make a stink or let it go for your mental health. That's life with people with those kind of jobs. Probably reads at a 3rd grade level but holds all the power over you. Ain't life grand?

Old 09-10-2013, 04:14 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
I think you were justified I'd be fuming. Btw it wasnt an LIRR employee who cut the wire it was an unlicensed contractor- I was told that by a family member who is an employee.

They wont refund you. They never do.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:14 PM

283 posts, read 581,533 times
I can not believe she charged you! Unreal. I have to say, I took this exact train for a few weeks this summer during the heat wave (the 5:23) to get to Bethpage. It was late more often then not, it was packed ! many times I did not get a seat. Just absolutely awful for the 300.00 a month it costs. The transfer for this train at Jamaica is a nightmare because the platform was packed. Did I say awful?! The only way to avoid these ridiculous delays is to work off hours, and not many people can do that.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:32 PM

537 posts, read 1,448,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I think you were justified I'd be fuming. Btw it wasnt an LIRR employee who cut the wire it was an unlicensed contractor- I was told that by a family member who is an employee.

They wont refund you. They never do.

Doesn't really make a difference in the end who it was. They were hired by the MTA, thus the MTA's fault in the end. And if they were unlicensed? All the merrier.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:50 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
You should just have told the conductor your story and told her that you also forgot your wallet at work and have her fill out an IOU ticket. When she asks you for ID say its in your wallet. Then just dont pay it.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:27 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
did your family member read this in the newspaper? Because that's where everyone else got the same info.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:28 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
look at the bright side, you theoretically could have been charged 3x for that trip.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:30 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,354 times
first, allow me to complement you for your quick retort about taking the cab home.
you mentioned not getting the badge number of the nasty conductor, but I would send a copy of this story to the LIRR president (Helena Williams). I'm sure she could identify the employee. Keep calling and following this up. You did nothing wrong, the stupid employees of the LIRR did. You should be compensated for your money , time and aggravation.
Congratulations on keeping your head ! I would have been screaming in her face.

Last edited by lifetimeliguy; 09-10-2013 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island