Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:05 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times

Advertisements

I don't need to show you pictures. Anyone who uses the train station at Hicksville knows what I'm talking about, the vagrancy. There's loitering by the Dunkin Donuts, as well as the building across the street (77 Newbridge). Trash everywhere, potholes, everything in a state of neglect. The area by the cab stand smells like urine. Can't say the neighborhoods are much better, a couple of weeks ago they were blasting music by W.Marie St & Jerusalem Ave. Walked up Wycoff St from the bus stop to the mall this afternoon, lotto scratch offs and beer bottles on lawns, cars with no license plates, and the letters MS written on the sidewalk. Really is such a shame what has happened to what was once a nice blue collar neighborhood. Seems to be having a similar fate to the Port Jeff Station area, lots of halfway houses and flophouses in the neighborhood is not a good thing. Many of the houses I see south of the mall appear to be unoccupied, ppl probably fleeing as fast as they can. This area is definately gonna be an avoid from now on, it sadly doesn't seem to be getting any better. I'm amazed Broadway Mall has as many stores as it does, considering how empty it was and the area around it. Always a bunch of creepy people getting off the bus by Burns & Myers. Best parts of town seem to be further SE on Broadway bordering Bethpage, and east of 106/107 by the parkway. It would help if the Town would revitalize the area, at least put in a new streetscape and lighting. Better to shut the flophouses down and arrest the vagrants, but that would be "politically incorrect" as we all know, criminals have more rights than citizens who just want to feel safe and have peace of mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:00 AM

429 posts, read 853,176 times
So... You don't like Hicksville anymore, then?

Old 09-11-2013, 06:35 AM

8,689 posts, read 11,078,805 times
I remember you are a NICE rider as well. I think its much worse to take that than the LIRR.

People's frustration on LIRR is really taking a dump on the stations & the train cars....at the end, we are self inflicting ourselves.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:43 AM

157 posts, read 285,145 times
Meh. It's a transit hub so think of it as a port city like Tangier. That's what I do.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:46 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
As you said, it's just the residential areas by the mall and LIRR. It's a big town. We drive to Broadway a lot and don't see any of that because we're only at the mall. I don't think the majority of people are worried about the surrounding residences. Unless you're walking around like you do.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:54 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
so every two years you walk from the train station to the mall! Well that's what I call a comprehensive evaluation!

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...icksville.html

I wonder if the same lotto scratch offs are still there?

Old 09-11-2013, 12:05 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
so every two years you walk from the train station to the mall! Well that's what I call a comprehensive evaluation!

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...icksville.html

I wonder if the same lotto scratch offs are still there?
Haha! Yes and John said the mall was empty when he passed through, so that must mean its empty all the time! How do those stores stay in buisness??

Old 09-11-2013, 12:18 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times
I thought you were moving to NJ?

I just drove through Hicksville 5 minutes ago, the area surrounding the train station has always been a little beat up, what is your point?

Old 09-11-2013, 03:35 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,771 times
I think the problem on LI is that when we say for example "The schools suck in..." it is relative compared to "....". Hicksville is okay, but no Great Neck, let alone Syosset.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:50 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I thought you were moving to NJ?

I just drove through Hicksville 5 minutes ago, the area surrounding the train station has always been a little beat up, what is your point?
"A little beat up", cmmon its getting much worse than that. It wasn't great 2 years ago but it's getting worse, I see much more for sale or unoccupied houses and that says something. It says people do not want to live here. We can sit here & pick on those who are making observations, but if nothing is done to improve the area, what does the future hold? There's nothing wrong with making Hicksville more appealing, it has alot going for it, a major LIRR station, NICE Bus hub, and shopping nearby in the mall and along Broadway. So what do we have to lose cleaning up the transients and the streetscape? Maybe getting people to buy those unoccupied homes and improved property values. Seems like a win-win situation to me. Even though we have our own loitering/transient issues in Westbury, the streetscape looks better and improvements are on the way, including the new theater. The problem in Hicksville is the lack of a "downtown" type setting, most people drive to the station, just like you have, they dont see the issues, or the potential to making it a better destination. There's quite a few buildings that can be fixed up, and strips that can be redeveloped to attract people who use the LIRR to stay and do some business in the area. But people will continue to run off the train and to their cars as long as there's guys sleeping by Dunkin Donuts or dirty streets that smell like urine. Really dissapointed Oyster Bay Town hasn't done something about the area, there was plans for a revamp years ago, what happened?
As far as going to NJ, I am not able to do so right now. I know that dissapoints some here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island