Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 01:40 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Pequa, I didn't agree with the referendum. It was just a reflection of the ineptitude of not getting a private deal done when it was needed. Too big? Too small? Without the layers of "what's in it for me" govt some kind of compromise should have been met to let Wang and Ratner pay for an arena. It's ultimately what we got anyway, but watered down, without a pro anchor tenant and for less revenue than we should get. I don't believe Nassau would have gotten it done within the $400k budget anyway and we would be on the hook forever, subsidizing another lemon of a building.

As for those two, I think either one raises taxes this time, even though it's a bit of a melodramatic campaign only issue. As we both know, the property tax bill isn't killing us nearly as much as the school tax bill and they can't do anything about that. My prob is this place is so dysfunctional that repubs can't even work with other repubs and vice versa dems with dems. It seems NO ONE can get anything done and I'm afraid that is how Long Islanders (whoever is voting) seem to like it.
I don't think they want anything done. Let's face it, we'll never be NYC. We don't have reliable intercounty mass transit or subways and NICE is a joke. If you can't move people around efficiently, you're dead. The infrastructure to handle more people and more development, more activity, is virtually impossible. Go drive through Nassau heading anywhere eastbound today and get a feel of the mess.
Taxes are not melodramatic to me. I want lower taxes. And Mangano has delivered. Suozzi pretty much doubled them during his time as CE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 04:17 PM

246 posts, read 470,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Sports are entertainment and in America entertainment is one of our biggest industries, whether you like it or not. Let's deal in reality and not your nerd fantasy of a world of "science and technology" (whatever that means). No one is holding a gun to your head to make you go to a sporting event or pay an athlete a million dollars. That's called the free market. You can study all the science and technology you want. One doesn't exclude the other. When a pro franchise packs up and leaves due to political ineptitude and takes jobs and millions in tax revenue with them, that is an economic FAILURE. It has absolutely nothing to do with your personal dislike for sports and nothing to do with STEM jobs that don't even exist. Without a solid tax base, world class entertainment and recreation, good luck attracting "education science technology" to your empty lot. MONEY makes communities grow, not nerdy fantasies or cranky nimby sports haters who think other's pay too much for the things they enjoy. Let's live in the real world.
Oh did you get sand in your panties? Nowhere did I say I hate sports. I enjoy it but also put things into proper perspective.

The free market has spoken. The Coliseum was dying a slow death and the Isles leaving was just a formality....

Old 09-13-2013, 07:30 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiusP View Post
Oh did you get sand in your panties? Nowhere did I say I hate sports. I enjoy it but also put things into proper perspective.

The free market has spoken. The Coliseum was dying a slow death and the Isles leaving was just a formality....
You wrote 4 paragraphs deriding sports, insulting the working man and warbling in incoherent English about people having "better jobs" if it weren't for sports. Panties, shmanties at least I can own up to what I write, like a man, and not backpeddle and make goofball insults when called on it. The Isles leaving was far from a formality (in fact that word doesn't even make sense in this context). What's your point of reference for that or did you just pull that fancy word out of your azz? Their leaving was based on the inability to get a development deal done. Same as for a 1/2 dozen other million plus dollar corporations on LI in the last 5 years. It's not just about sports. It's about jobs. All the feeder businesses that support an arena, food concessions, promotional items, security, union labor, hourly part timers., local restaurants and shops. Now NOTHING? Where's your "science and technology" to replace it? Where does the revenue come to replace it? Good luck getting Kate Murray on board for "science and technology." Town of Hempstead's idea of high tech is recycling light bulbs. It's a "formality" that Town of Hempstead will sh-tcan anything that isn't retail or 55+ condos.

The free market DID speak. Islanders sold out the arena and raked in big bucks the minute the team was in playoff contention. Let me clue you in on sports marketing 101 (ok, it's not a STEM class but it's relevant)....winning teams make more money than losing ones! oooooo, I spilled the beans. A dozen local businesses will close up shop without the Islanders and others will lose a huge chunk of business and lay people off. It's not the "free market." It's a complete failure of leadership to do their job.

Last edited by mongoose65; 09-13-2013 at 07:42 PM..

Old 09-13-2013, 09:04 PM

My most sincere apologies that the incoherent English. That's the problem with using voice software sometimes.

For you to spew at such bile, you must have real issues. Like I said I never said I hated sports. Like I said, I put things into perspective.

Whether it's education, new communities, or retail, it'll create jobs. From your pulpit, it sounds like without sports arenas, places can't exist. To use your parlance, somehow sports arenas are necessary to survival. Only problem there, is that they're not.

The sports arena didn't work first time.....

And for the record, here's how to be a man: You can start by being the first to concede that you threw out the first insult when you said, "You're brilliant posts have convinced me"

Old 09-14-2013, 05:30 AM

332 posts, read 613,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I don't think they want anything done. Let's face it, we'll never be NYC. We don't have reliable intercounty mass transit or subways and NICE is a joke. If you can't move people around efficiently, you're dead. The infrastructure to handle more people and more development, more activity, is virtually impossible. Go drive through Nassau heading anywhere eastbound today and get a feel of the mess.
Taxes are not melodramatic to me. I want lower taxes. And Mangano has delivered. Suozzi pretty much doubled them during his time as CE.
Mangano has not lowered your taxes. In fact fees/taxes have gone up under him. Just not property tax/sales tax. (although he did try to raise sales taxes)

Old 09-14-2013, 06:25 AM

[quote=tiberiusP;31403914]My most sincere apologies that the incoherent English. That's the problem with using voice software sometimes.

Quote:
For you to spew at such bile, you must have real issues. Like I said I never said I hated sports. Like I said, I put things into perspective.
You call it bile (oversensitive much, you DID say I had "sand in my panties, remember"), I call it rational discussion. You call it "putting into perspective." I call it what are you even talking about? ("the free market has spoken"). This has nothing to do with the free market. The whole issue is about developing a parcel of public property.

Quote:
Whether it's education, new communities, or retail, it'll create jobs. From your pulpit, it sounds like without sports arenas, places can't exist. To use your parlance, somehow sports arenas are necessary to survival. Only problem there, is that they're not.
One. No plan for those "jobs" has ever gotten past the lowest rung on the political ladder so it's a moot point. Like I said. Inept govt. More retail is just sickening. I like your "science and tech" idea way better than retail and communities. Let's get this straight, I NEVER SAID "SPORTS WERE NECESSARY TO SURVIVAL" (never even hinted at it). That was something shmucky 30to66 the resident crank said. You just put the words in my mouth and keep running with it. The FACT is it is a caveat and speaks to a more culturally vibrant area. The money it generates goes to lots of youth programs including art and even, get this, science and technology. In fact, Iceworks in Syosset has tons of kids programs and is completely subsidized by the Islanders. That probably goes away unless someone steps in. Bethpage has programs sponsored by the Rangers. Pro Sports make life better locally and attracts business.

Quote:
The sports arena didn't work first time.....
Says who? The Islanders were a dynasty and brought millions and millions in revenue to Nassau. The building isn't up to modern standards and it needs to be replaced. Many other locations seem to be able to somehow put a deal together to get an arena either privately or publicly. Nassau has had over 10 years to get something done and developers have all offered up money. It's just political ineptitude and backward thinking that kept anything from getting done. Not Coliseum history, lack of money or anything else. It's about everybody wanting the biggest piece of the Nassau Hub pie they can get and being unwilling to compromise.

Quote:
And for the record, here's how to be a man: You can start by being the first to concede that you threw out the first insult when you said, "You're brilliant posts have convinced me"
Was THAT the big insult?!? I sarcastically called YOUR POST "brilliant?" Man up, cupcake. You inferred I wear panties. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. This isn't romper room. We discuss s-it here. Go cry to nancy the reader.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:21 AM

The whole issue is about developing a parcel of public property. -more like HOW to develop it.

Pro Sports make life better locally and attracts business. -Like the OTB right?

I sarcastically called YOUR POST "brilliant?"
Your brilliant posts have convinced me.
your nerdy fantasies

-Perhaps you need to man up. You started with personal attacks and sarcasm and I just threw it back your way and now you can't handle the notion. So perhaps you're the cupcake with sand in your clit.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
The whole issue is about developing a parcel of public property. -more like HOW to develop it.
There's a difference? OK?!

Quote:
[i]Pro Sports make life better locally and attracts business. -Like the OTB right?
OTB is pro sports?! . OTB is govt controlled gambling on horse racing. Horse racing isn't pro sports by anyone's stretch of the imagination. In fact OTB not only ISN'T pro sports, it doesn't even allow gambling on pro sports.

Quote:
I sarcastically called YOUR POST "brilliant?"
Your brilliant posts have convinced me.
your nerdy fantasies

-Perhaps you need to man up. You started with personal attacks and sarcasm and I just threw it back your way and now you can't handle the notion. So perhaps you're the cupcake with sand in your clit.
This whole post is your most "brilliant" so far. I'm out until we're back on topic. Oh, and nice use of the female anatomy word. That should survive the censors for all of 5 minutes. Yeah, you're a real class act, Tibby.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:38 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
mongoose65, you really just have to accept that Long Island is now just a bedroom community for Manhattan, and those don't need professional sports teams. Long Island is also losing the identity it once had (what exactly is an Islander these days?). At least they're not moving off of the Island (technically at least) and keeping the name.

On top of that they're in the hole about $8 million per year, which has to factor into Wang's choice somewhat.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
mongoose65, you really just have to accept that Long Island is now just a bedroom community for Manhattan, and those don't need professional sports teams. Long Island is also losing the identity it once had (what exactly is an Islander these days?).

On top of that they're in the hole about $8 million per year, which has to factor into Wang's choice somewhat.
Totally agree, but it was always a bedroom community of NYC more than not, that's not new. Is it possible losing iconic teams and businesses might have a role to play in losing that "identity?" Just a thought. Wang made every effort to stay despite bleeding lots of money. That is the point of the title of the thread. But I get your points. All valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island