Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 02:28 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times

Advertisements

I think what clarkstreet is saying is that elected Nassau County officials (and more locally, TOH officials) actually reflect the thinking and interests of majority of their constituents and that in fact the interests of both are aligned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 02:29 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I know we were discussing Nassau, I just find it ironic that those who jump and scream about Suozzi raising taxes (the vast majority of which was his first year in office as a result of the Gullotta mess) are absolutely silent when it comes to Venditto who raised taxes considerably more than Suozzi.

Under Suozzi, we got out of an absolute mess with the county finances during a time the county was about to be taken over by the state. Everything certainly wasn't perfect, and not every decision that was mae was correct, but we got out of a horrific situation with the county finances. No one likes to see higher taxes, but sometimes it is needed. The refusal to ever do so is what led us to the Gullota meltdown and we are heading down that very same road now. Compare the changes in the county bond ratings under Suozzi to under Mangano. Compare the borrowing under Suozzi to now (and yes is it did exist under Suozzi as well, but the differences were astronomical. Compare the Lighthouse Project plan, which was pushed heavily by Suozzi while Mangano played a role in stalling it in the Legislature before it passed and Murray eventually killed it, compared to the Referendum plan.
Adam Haber would have been much better. He is not a greedy slob and would have run the County like a successful business. Suozzi is only out for himself and his 1 percenter cronies and he will financially enrich himself and his pals, appointees and contractors once again and take full advantage of the taxpayers like he did last time. Remember when he literally abandoned his office as CE in a failed run for governor? Expect more of that if he gets another chance to run again while in office as CE. There is definitely something wrong with the Democrats in Nassau County to be so blind as to put Suozzi back in there 59% to Haber's 41%.

Frankly, the choice between Suozzi and Mangano makes me sick to my stomach. But that just reflects national politics IMO. The last several presidential races it was the same thing. Hold your nose and vote for the least offensive, least horrible candidate, the one you think will destroy the country less. For example, do you think Obama won twice because people really believed so much in him? NO. It was because the Republicans put forth such disasters as candidates, the people were afraid to vote them in as presidents. People did not vote for Obama in many cases because his and their interests and values were aligned. They just literally had nothing better to vote for.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 09-15-2013 at 02:38 PM..

Old 09-15-2013, 02:34 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I think what clarkstreet is saying is that elected Nassau County officials (and more locally, TOH officials) actually reflect the thinking and interests of majority of their constituents and that in fact the interests of both are aligned.
I can tell you that I am a resident of both Nassau and TOH and they don't reflect my thinking and interests and they don't reflect that of my neighbors that I talk to. We feel trapped with them with nobody better having enough name recognition and/or finances to step up to challenge them. Remember name recognition means a lot. How else do people who are sleazebags like Weiner start out winning in the polls.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:07 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
But who are the people who keep on voting Murray into office? Are they by and large bedroom commuters to Manhattan? Are they merchants and professionals with offices in Queens? Physicians in LIJ or Winthrop?
As I posted earlier:

It also doesn't help that every ToH employee is a republican committee member and they and their families will vote republican which gives Kate a 5000+ vote lead each time before it even starts. Then add the taxpayer funded signage blitz and the town employees tearing down the opponents signs on every night shift and you have the recipe for 100+ years of success.

There are very tangible physical reasons the Repubs win every year in ToH. It's a very professional incumbent operation that is supported by town employees, their families, preferred vendors and contractors before it even gets to the Nimbys and frightened old folks who love Kate. That's an uphill climb for even the best and richest dem or indy to overcome. Gary Port got almost 36% of the vote last time which is almost unheard of. The current dem candidate will be lucky to get even close to 15%.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:51 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Sounds like you've defined her voters and she's making them happy. Not much will change until that changes.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Yup.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:02 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Sounds like you've defined her voters and she's making them happy. Not much will change until that changes.
Yes, she represents patronage and arm twisting. It will take a VERY angry and involved electorate to change it and while there is plenty of the former, the latter is nowhere to be found. ToH is it's own weird repub entity. They don't work well with Nassau or Albany repubs OR dems.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:19 PM

The option I'm surprised hasn't been used is to by-pass the TOH (which Wang sort of did with the Islanders move). What were the reasons that the Light House project had to be in TOH? Wouldn't another town that has available land want something like it in their backyard?

Old 09-15-2013, 04:27 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
The option I'm surprised hasn't been used is to by-pass the TOH (which Wang sort of did with the Islanders move). What were the reasons that the Light House project had to be in TOH? Wouldn't another town that has available land want something like it in their backyard?
There really isn't all that much space until you go further out east. Also the Lighthouse Project was tied to the redeveloping the Nassau Hub.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:35 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,286 times
Quote:
Some of m own suggestions - horseracing, cockfighting, jai alai, pro boxing. LOL!
I'll be buying a ticket when they start playing rollerball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island