Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 07:33 AM

9 posts, read 14,165 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to delete my post??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 07:53 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,986,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelAntsMom View Post
LOL... life happens, people pull in driveways (it's large and empty) , it slips your mind sometimes!
Kind of a cop-out. My sis in law had the sweetest little old lady LL and even SHE had a conniption about cars in the driveway. Maybe it's an old-country Brooklyn/Queens/NYC thing. Who knows? But then without giving you too much of a hard time, when do you play a role in it? So far, doesn't seem like the landlord is that far out of bounds and he's not 'evicting" you at all. Guess if no one signs off on the answers you desire, it's time to ask "how do I delete my post." It's not hostility you're receiving, it's annoyance at your perceived sense of entitlement regarding your rental situation. There is also sympathy (at least from me) because almost all of LI's rentals are illegal so it's a drag to be in a bad tenant/LL relationship from either side. Everyone seems to have horror stories from both sides so you will always get those biases on here.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 AM

No, it is not that I am not receiving the answers I desire, it's that I've gotten all the answers I need! I get it. At this point, most are repetitive. I don't have a sense of entitlement, but I suppose on the internet anyone can accuse me of anything they want. I am in full understanding of the business relationship that exists between a landlord and a tenant. But I am also in understanding of factors which others are not. Thank you all for all the time you've spent responding to my post. Be well.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 AM

And yes, Mongoose65, it IS a drag to be in a bad tenant/LL relationship. It affects every member of the household, even the most innocent ones. It is from that place that I was reacting when I originally put up my post.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:28 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,986,029 times
Quote:
And yes, Mongoose65, it IS a drag to be in a bad tenant/LL relationship. It affects every member of the household, even the most innocent ones. It is from that place that I was reacting when I originally put up my post.
I get it completely and understand your frustration. It's a sucky feeling. When I'm crying over my taxes and the expense of owning, a post like yours reminds me of renting and the hassles with that. It's a BS system to pay on time and be a good tenant and STILL be able to be booted on a LL's whim and it happens too much. Especially stressful with kids. That's why my advice was bite the bullet and stick it out. Tough rental market out there and sounds like your situation has the potential to get a little better where some (based on posts) are just broken beyond repair. Good luck whatever you do. You sound on the ball and will make it work.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 AM

Thanks. I will make it work until I am able to make other arrangements that are positive for my family. That takes time, so in that time I will have to do as you advise and stick it out. I also hope to smooth things over with my LL, who is very "old-school/Brooklyn" as you said. Thanks for your understanding, I know it's not easy on either end. It's just especially hard being on the receiving end of someone's "whim"... Take care.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:48 AM

581 posts, read 1,242,111 times
I think people are somewhat hard on you because it wasnt a concerned to you whether the apt was illegal or not when you were in dire need of one, but now that things are getting sour, you started to add things into the equation that you didnt prior.

If living in an illegal apt is a problem, thats something every tenant should inquire about before moving in.

I have rented illegal apt before i was just happy to find a place and set up myself to move than trying to give the landlord a hard time.

I hate renting and having to deal with landlords so thats why ive decided to not rent someone's house anymore. I found an apartment building where I dont have to deal with landlord on that level.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:59 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,636,857 times
Quote:
3-Family, Illegal Rental House in Islip Township. Month-to-month tenants (no lease). Good Tenants, pay rent (by check) on time for 2 years. Family of mother, father, 2 young children, 1 enrolled in elementary school. Utilities paid by LL and entire house on one bill (all tenants).

Landlord lives next door. LL verbally indicated on 9/10/13 that we are to move out by 11/1/13 or our rent is raised by $200/month. This is bullying and strong-arming behavior on part of the LL because he does not like Mom (me). On several occasions LL was confrontational with family and friends who pulled into our driveway, screaming at and scolding them for using the driveway. This eventually resulted in words being exchanged between myself and LL. Hence the attempted eviction.

What are our rights?? How long can we realistically stay in our home and continue paying our current rent without the increase? Can he legally lock us out or any other retaliation? What is our recourse if he continues to harass us??

Thank you for your input!
Quote:
Thank you everyone for taking the time to read and reply to my post. I did not know that his rental of this house was illegal when I moved my family in 2 years ago. We do not abuse the utilities, but of course, that is a relative question. I also was not aware that there was a third tenant in the house, basement apartment. That fact was conveniently not mentioned and having a 5 month old baby, being hormonally and sleep-deprived at the time, I was eager to find a larger (and safer) place for my family.

I am not making excuses or looking for an easy out or to screw anybody. I sense a bit of hostility coming from some of these posts, but you are all entitled to your opinions. You don't know me or my situation. I know what is fair and reasonable rent for the space I am occupying, I have been in the rental market for many years. Always a reliable tenant. We chose to move here because it seemed worth the outlay of money and we were desperate coming from our last situation. If we were in a position to have a reasonable downpayment we would obviously buy our own home. We do not. But we still have a life and children and family and a right to live a peaceful life if we abide by the "rules". We have. I am merely a bit shaken that the unacceptable behavior of a landlord has now resulted in my family being put out. His words were "move out by 11/1 or the rent is going up $200". Sounds personal to me. We are a 1 income family with a toddler. I have a young child in elementary school and moving her from school to school based on a lease is not how I operate. I feel we are being treated unfairly, but, as they say, life is not fair. Just looking to have all the facts. Thanks much.
Quote:
Thanks. I will make it work until I am able to make other arrangements that are positive for my family. That takes time, so in that time I will have to do as you advise and stick it out. I also hope to smooth things over with my LL, who is very "old-school/Brooklyn" as you said. Thanks for your understanding, I know it's not easy on either end. It's just especially hard being on the receiving end of someone's "whim"... Take care.
There are two sides to every story and I wonder what the landlord's take on this is? Could he possibly feel that he is on the receiving end of your whim?

You lived in his property for 2 years without an increase in rent.

You didn't do your homework when you moved in to learn whether not this was a legal apartment. Hormones are not an excuse. It's women who fall back on that who make the rest of us look incapable.

You've falsely accused him of evicting you -- which he has not done. He has increased the rent. Costs go up.

You're accusing him of harassment. You failed to make sure that people were parking properly in the driveway. The first couple of times you upset him, you should have made a point of not allowing it to happen again. Yet you did allow it to happen.

The man was kind enough to give you 60 days notice of your rent increase. For a landlord who you are making out to be a tyrant, that seems almost too considerate. If you're 'put out' as you phrased it, it is of your own volition.

Why were you desperate coming from your last situation? Landlord problem?

Old 09-17-2013, 07:46 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,833,709 times
It sounds like the $200 is for the use of the driveway (for parking?). My former LL in Queens had the same policy and I paid him another $180 to use the driveway for my car. I don't think he envisioned you using the driveway when he first rented you out the apartment.

He is probably scolding you so that you don't get comfortable parking your vehicles there for free.

His approach to you may have been rude (we don't know the whole story) but the economics behind his actions seem to be very reasonable.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:29 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,710,492 times
I'm pretty sure landlords have to provide off-street parking for tenants. This may vary from town to town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island