Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 04:51 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times

Advertisements

For your price range, I don't think you'll get much in Melville in the Half Hollow Hills school district (generally considered one of the best districts in Suffolk). You could find something in Melville in the South Huntington district, though...which is a perfectly fine district, just not the best of the best. I know many well-educated upper-middle class families who are very happy with the district, and while my kids are not in school yet, I would not hesitate to send them to school there (we currently are in the South Huntington district, and were it not for our need for a larger property than what you typically find in the So Huntington area, we wouldn't even be house hunting).

But once you are looking at Melville with South Huntington schools, then you should look at the neighborhoods north of Jericho turnpike, west of Oakwood and east of Cold Spring Hills Rd-- very cute neighborhoods with nicely maintained houses (I think the area might be called Cold Spring Terrace, but it's officially Huntington). I would say to look at West Hills and Cold Spring Hills just west of that, but I think those houses will all be out of your price range- though if you find something in your price range there I would jump at it since West Hills & Cold Spring Hills are some of the most beautiful areas of Huntington IMO. The bonus is that any of these areas that I mentioned are within a few minutes from the Cold Spring Harbor train station, making for a very pleasant, easy commute (its a beautiful station and the parking lot rarely gets filled).

Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 PM

I just wanted to clarify since I can't edit my above post...Cold Spring Terrace & Cold Spring Hills are both neighborhoods in West Hills...and West Hills has a Huntington mailing address. A little confusing to someone who might not be familiar with the area. So if you are looking at listings online, the same house might be listed in either Huntington or West Hills (and some sites even have an option for Cold Spring Hills). Sorry for the confusion!

Old 09-17-2013, 09:43 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
I just wanted to clarify since I can't edit my above post...Cold Spring Terrace & Cold Spring Hills are both neighborhoods in West Hills...and West Hills has a Huntington mailing address. A little confusing to someone who might not be familiar with the area. So if you are looking at listings online, the same house might be listed in either Huntington or West Hills (and some sites even have an option for Cold Spring Hills). Sorry for the confusion!
The area between Oakwood Rd and Cold Spring Hills is Cold Spring Terrace; west of Cold Spring Hills Rd is Cold Spring Hills. Prices generally tell which area it is - Cold Spring Hills tends to be more expensive, with mostly larger properties.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
The area between Oakwood Rd and Cold Spring Hills is Cold Spring Terrace; west of Cold Spring Hills Rd is Cold Spring Hills. Prices generally tell which area it is - Cold Spring Hills tends to be more expensive, with mostly larger properties.
Very true about prices! Even along Cold Spring Hills Rd- the houses on the west side of the street (which is Cold Spring Hills) tend to be quite a bit more $$$ than the houses on the east side of the street (which is Cold Spring Terrace)!!

Old 09-18-2013, 12:52 PM

67 posts, read 124,939 times
What is the best site to use when checking to see what address falls into which school district..... And to view the most accurate ratings for a school district?

Thanks so much for help.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganx View Post
What is the best site to use when checking to see what address falls into which school district..... And to view the most accurate ratings for a school district?

Thanks so much for help.

If you're looking in the Town of Huntington, look up the address here:
Property Tax Record Search - Town of Huntington, Long Island, New York

It'll give you accurate current taxes and the school district.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:24 PM

Just in general which websites for both Nassau / Suffolk county?

We are still going to be looking around at towns on the nassau/suffolk border. Huntington/Melville are two that stand out further than the rest for us currently.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganx View Post
Just in general which websites for both Nassau / Suffolk county?

We are still going to be looking around at towns on the nassau/suffolk border. Huntington/Melville are two that stand out further than the rest for us currently.

Nassau has one website for the entire county (incorporated Villages have additional information not included in this site):
Land Record Viewer

In Suffolk, each Town has its own website - and none are alike; you won't get the same information from one over the other.
I already gave you the link for the Huntington tax site, but if you google "Town of Huntington NY", you'll get the full site.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:58 PM

Great, thanks for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island