Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:58 AM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Another brilliant hypothesis. I know you have a physical need to attack me but try to think your own thoughts through. If they have "coin machines" at the bank, why is the "enlightening thread" an issue at all?! The OP should just go trade in his pennies for reasonable currency. If the store owner doesn't want to schlep Schlep - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary pennies to the bank and stand on TWO lines to make his deposit, that's his business. Then again, what does a business accepting pennies have to do with Long Island?! I like that the OP says "from a Long Island establishment."

Frankly if it were my business I'd take all the coins in the world. Anybody in retail passing up a sale over pennies is dumb and should ultimately go out of business. My deli doesn't take pennies but they round everything down in the customer's favor. Works for them. EZ peezy. God bless America.
This is the most reasonable solution I've heard of to the "no pennies" issue. I completely understand not wanting to deal with pennies - I don't, and they're my pennies - but it seems a little rigid (and not terribly customer-friendly) to lose a sale, and probably a customer, over pennies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 01:05 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-2-Many View Post
Well as I was purchasing soda and a bag of chips , from a local long island establishment. I proceeded too pay with quarters , dimes and 16 cents in penny's. I was informed in no certain terms. Penny's will not be accepted over 5 cents. Is this allowable ? Is this good business ? Is this just a long island issue. I paid with penny's in other places. Should this be considered a form of discrimination? What about the elderly with their change purses?
if you THAT annoyed...next time, pay them $18 worth of loose nickels

Old 09-17-2013, 01:36 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
The credit card surcharges (merchant fees) are paid by the store. Some stores have a $10 minimum because of that so you wouldn't be allowed to use a CC anyway (another mom & pop store negative).
I'm pretty sure it's against Visa and MasterCard terms to do this. You can report them and... something will happen, not sure but it probably involves some form of ball-busting from the CC companies.

Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrw7i1SqJnM

Last edited by s13; 09-17-2013 at 01:47 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 02:00 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's against Visa and MasterCard terms to do this. You can report them and... something will happen, not sure but it probably involves some form of ball-busting from the CC companies.
its against the terms. In reality, nothing really happens. I've worked in retail & dealt with this situation many many many times

I remember back in the days when business posted $75 or $50 cc purchase minimum. Seem like these days some people don't even have $5 cash on their hands. From experience a good chuck of the same people really live in a debt world...others just prefer to live in cashless society.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-2-Many View Post
Well as I was purchasing soda and a bag of chips , from a local long island establishment. I proceeded too pay with quarters , dimes and 16 cents in penny's. I was informed in no certain terms. Penny's will not be accepted over 5 cents. Is this allowable ? Is this good business ? Is this just a long island issue. I paid with penny's in other places. Should this be considered a form of discrimination? What about the elderly with their change purses?
Penny wise, pound foolish.

Sometimes people have a lot of change. It isn't like you paid the entire tab in pennies.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:23 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
its against the terms. In reality, nothing really happens. I've worked in retail & dealt with this situation many many many times

I remember back in the days when business posted $75 or $50 cc purchase minimum. Seem like these days some people don't even have $5 cash on their hands. From experience a good chuck of the same people really live in a debt world...others just prefer to live in cashless society.
I hate cash because an ATM is never "along the way". And credit card cashback is awesome. I can live with $60 cash in my wallet for months. I think $5 is just about the trigger for me to trek to an ATM.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:15 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
This is the sort of reason why "mom and pop" places are falling by the wayside. I find it astonishing that in 2013 there are still places that don't take credit/debit cards. Not taking pennies however is the most absurd thing I have heard of in quite awhile.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:28 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Even the bodegas in my ghetto neighborhood in Queens take credit/debit cards...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-18-2013, 05:40 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
The other day I got a 1928 penny in change . I collect "wheaties" so I was really happy to see it. I wonder where it has been all this time .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-20-2013, 03:33 PM

18 posts, read 23,721 times
At one time stores were not allowed to charge a fee for the use of a CC. Now that has changed they are legally allowed to charge fee ( minimum purchased) or pay extra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: