Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2013, 11:09 AM

429 posts, read 853,618 times

Advertisements

Our basement is around 600 sq. ft and is about 75% finished, but it's old finishes (wood paneling and linoleum tile).

We do run a dehumidifier down there, which works well, but it's running pretty frequently in the summer. I suppose that as it gets cooler, it'll be less humid, but I have concerns about re-finishing the basement in the future if moisture is an issue.

I know basements are frequently damp, but some people seem to have basements that are comfortable. Is it because they put up dry wall and carpets or did they have a dry basement before doing that?

We've slowly been working on increasing the grade of soil away from the house and fixing the gutters/downspouts, but I'm just wondering how humid is too humid for a basement? There are never puddles or even condensation really, it just feels humid and damp and smells a little musty.

If we replace the wood paneling with drywall and linoleum floors with either laminate or carpet, will it help (btw - we're nowhere near the water, so no risk of flooding). Are there other things that can be done (I don't know if there is any insulation down there or if there even could be in a basement).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 11:13 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Sounds like my old basement. We put up new sheetrock with new insolation and tiled the floors after pulling up the old linoleum. We found it made it big difference. There's still a little musty smell because we haven't finished the laundryroom yet but otherwise it's a 100% improvement. Our dehumidifier used to run non-stop before we replaced the walls and floor. We also replaced the windows. Now it's not as much.

Even though you're not near water, keep in mind if there's heavy rains or if a pipe bursts you may get flooded. I don't recommended carpeting for basements. I feel it retains too much of the dampness and musty smell.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:24 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
If you look at it this way, it is below grade and surrounded by earth and dampness so anything there now is probably damp at best if you say it has a musty odor. IF you strip the walls and floor there are products that are made specifically for basements that are mild and mildew resistant that will tend to far better. So if you put up moisture barriers etc. and new "guts" it will certainly improve the area. Now you get in the area of what do you want to spend, how much time are you planning on using the basement and what is the purpose of the basement. IF for example, you are going to use it for a playroom, you should have an outside egress window at the very least, if not a door. Are you going to heat it? Also, you should try to avoid the big fluffy furniture which can hold the dampness. These are all things that can help avoid the Damp basement smell.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:46 PM

376 posts, read 1,016,952 times
I would like to add to liquid tar your foundation , I did it and help a lot as a moister barrier . I also put heavy 4 milimeter plastic over my insulated framed walls then sheetrock . I did this 14 years ago with no mold or mildew smell ....

Old 09-17-2013, 07:14 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
not in my experience - the dehumidifier works great though is loud.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:57 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
They say this is the worst thing to do. What you did is make a vapor lock at your framing. Now whatever comes into your house stays.

Have you looked at the foundation walls behind the plastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1458 View Post
I would like to add to liquid tar your foundation , I did it and help a lot as a moister barrier . I also put heavy 4 milimeter plastic over my insulated framed walls then sheetrock . I did this 14 years ago with no mold or mildew smell ....

Old 09-17-2013, 01:38 PM

376 posts, read 1,016,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
They say this is the worst thing to do. What you did is make a vapor lock at your framing. Now whatever comes into your house stays.

Have you looked at the foundation walls behind the plastic?
Yes I did , still black tar and dry, no mold ...I should of pointed out that there is a one inch gap from the 2x4 to the foundation that follows all the way to the boiler room which keeps that air circulated . The boiler needs to draw air from somewhere and the boiler room is sealed off from the rest of the basement..I use to be a contractor with my uncle(old school thinking) and he argued with me that this was wrong but I keep telling him it is still dry today ...you need to understand that at the top of this framing you have a small gap that is the floor beams and face plate .Outside air does come in ,even though I have it insulated ...

Old 09-18-2013, 05:16 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,546,713 times
Foundations should NOT be seal from the inside of the basement. The correct way is to seal it from the outside (expensive). Sealing it from the inside keeps the foundation wet without a way for it to dry out.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:27 AM

429 posts, read 853,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Foundations should NOT be seal from the inside of the basement. The correct way is to seal it from the outside (expensive). Sealing it from the inside keeps the foundation wet without a way for it to dry out.
So, then basements should never be finished? Or just no vapor seal should be installed?

We have wood paneling in the basement right now and I'm just wondering if we need to do anything before we install sheetrock in lieu of the paneling to reduce moisture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island