Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:17 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,724,144 times

Advertisements

I'm kind of baffled by this thread. I choose a restaurant for the food and atmosphere, and not whether the men need a jacket. (I'm also guessing that the man participating in this upcoming event would probably be happy to not wear a jacket.)

You probably have to trek to Manhattan to fulfill this requirement. Otherwise, find a nice place on Long Island and just wear the semi-formal attire that you want. There are plenty of good restaurants on the Island where you won't look out of place in a jacket or dress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 01:21 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,040,515 times
Maybe the original poster isnt concerned about how their event participants will look but is more concerned about the restaurants other patrons not dressing like the typical Long Island jabroni with his baseball cap on backwards eating his macaroni with gravy.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:11 AM

584 posts, read 867,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I'm kind of baffled by this thread. I choose a restaurant for the food and atmosphere, and not whether the men need a jacket. (I'm also guessing that the man participating in this upcoming event would probably be happy to not wear a jacket.)

You probably have to trek to Manhattan to fulfill this requirement. Otherwise, find a nice place on Long Island and just wear the semi-formal attire that you want. There are plenty of good restaurants on the Island where you won't look out of place in a jacket or dress.
No need to be baffled. I also choose restaurants based on the taste of the food and atmosphere, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to dress up occasionally and wanting people around you to also dress up; especially if you are celebrating a particular occasion or just because. The male participates have no problem wearing a suit jacket and if they did they would tell me; we have that type of relationship.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:35 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,977,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
No need to be baffled. I also choose restaurants based on the taste of the food and atmosphere, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to dress up occasionally and wanting people around you to also dress up; especially if you are celebrating a particular occasion or just because. The male participates have no problem wearing a suit jacket and if they did they would tell me; we have that type of relationship.
It's understandable but it's mostly private clubs that can still enforce this. Most restaurants can't afford to turn away paying customers over stuff like this when casual dress is clearly more the social norm. Just have to find something considerably upscale and hope the clientele that night is on your wavelength. Or, we had a birthday thing at Morton's (steak) and they had a smaller private dining room they gave us (we didn't ask for it) that was very classy. We had a party of 12 or so, including a baby. The baby didn't wear a jacket, though. He wore a diaper but he tips well.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:11 AM

22,618 posts, read 36,540,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
typical Long Island jabroni with his baseball cap on backwards eating his macaroni with gravy.
You forgot the wife beater and tats.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:14 AM

22,618 posts, read 36,540,947 times
Look for Peter Gianotti's favorites - he only gives good reviews to places with ancient waiters who wear tuxedoes.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:03 AM

573 posts, read 1,236,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I'm kind of baffled by this thread. I choose a restaurant for the food and atmosphere, and not whether the men need a jacket. .
Isn't a dress code part of the atmosphere though? It seems like having a dress code would go hand in hand with trying to foster a more upscale, formal atmosphere.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:14 PM

791 posts, read 1,614,994 times
Prime in Huntington and Blackstone in Melville both have a pretty upscale vibe, although I'm not certain they actually require jackets. Some folks may be doing the dark-wash-jeans-with-a-button-down-and-dress-shoes thing, but you definitely wouldn't look out of place in a jacket or a nice dress, and there will be no baseball caps.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:51 AM

584 posts, read 867,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Prime in Huntington and Blackstone in Melville both have a pretty upscale vibe, although I'm not certain they actually require jackets. Some folks may be doing the dark-wash-jeans-with-a-button-down-and-dress-shoes thing, but you definitely wouldn't look out of place in a jacket or a nice dress, and there will be no baseball caps.
Thank you. I think we are going to Blackstone. I received a lot of postive feedback about this restaurant.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:28 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,977,144 times
I'll wear a jacket, but I make no promises about underwear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island