Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:59 AM

674 posts, read 1,155,540 times

Advertisements

I feel mattress shopping is worse than car shopping.

Sales guys are very pushy. I was at Sleepys yesterday, the price keeps dropping every second. I am not sure if any of the number he gave is true or not.

He said Stearns & Foster is a best mattress, I came home and did some research and found it's one of the worst and most owner have issues with S&F.

At Sleepys, he said the bed is on sale. The regular price of the bed is like $4500, I am getting 50% off, then at the end, he said he can give S&F bed including the tax and everything for $1999 but that deal ends yesterday. Any way, I did not sign up or did anything. I told him, I need little time to do research.

I can't compare any mattress from Sleepys to Macys or any other stores. Each of them have different names and modules.

Just like to find out from city-data users if you had the same issues and when you went to stores, did you do lot of negotiation at the store? I think it's better to buy it online? Online price are so much cheaper compare to store but I am not sure if I am looking at the same mattress or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 11:36 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
nah, car shopping is way worse but mattress shopping comes close. lol

Yes, you can go to dozen Sleepys and have dozen different prices. Its pretty annoying. It really takes patience & time.

Yes you can compare prices but it does take a little legwork. The S&F model name is made for Macy....you will need to find that code...then match it up with another place like Sleepy. Places like Macy & Bloomingdale has massive markup & then discount it as such.

I don't recommend to buy online unless you are SURE you want it. Since you sleep 1/3 of the clock on this, you really want to be happy and not driven by price only. I have found clearance items on the cheap but I would only buy it for guestroom. Its obvious to make sure you know you like firm or soft....or pillowtop...etc.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
I agree lol...I recently bought a mattress for my daughter. When I looked across Sleepy's, Macy's and Raymour's, I started to get dizzy at the prices and the HUGE selection. This was Labor Day weekend when EVERYONE had mattresses on sale.

I kept it simple and went to Bob's because she wanted the same mattress that I have (the Bob-O-Pedic).

What type of mattress are you looking for? If you can hold out, wait for Columbus Day. Lots of stores have big sales.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:51 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
I knew a Sleepy's "mattress professional". He was an alcoholic who hanged out in the neighborhood gin mill when he wasnt selling mattresses. Sometimes his fellow "mattress professionals" would stop by for a drink and they would discuss the interesting world of mattresses....and how they took advantage of any customer that couldnt negotiate.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:10 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
This was Labor Day weekend when EVERYONE had mattresses on sale.

these sales are common as car sales....which seems like every other week. Buyer should always do their homework.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:11 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,423 times
I don't know your budget, but I always feel that one should buy the best mattress they can afford. About 15 years ago, we sprung (pardon the pun) for a premium Shiffman mattress. Bloomingdale's gave us a deal and with a discount on the mattress combination itself, plus a $900 gift card that we could use for anything else in the store, we probably paid in the low $3,000 range. It was one of the best purchases we ever made. That mattress and box spring are still giving us a good night's sleep and we see no plans in the near future to replace them.

For the most part, I think the Sealy and Serta stuff is cheaply made. You get what you pay for. Think about it. If you buy a really good premium mattress that lasts for 15 years, you're spending well under a dollar a day. Isn't that worth a good night's sleep?

Old 09-23-2013, 12:23 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I don't know your budget, but I always feel that one should buy the best mattress they can afford. About 15 years ago, we sprung (pardon the pun) for a premium Shiffman mattress. Bloomingdale's gave us a deal and with a discount on the mattress combination itself, plus a $900 gift card that we could use for anything else in the store, we probably paid in the low $3,000 range. It was one of the best purchases we ever made. That mattress and box spring are still giving us a good night's sleep and we see no plans in the near future to replace them.

?
And how would you rate your carefully made mattress purchase in terms of other activities in the bedroom? firm enough?

Old 09-23-2013, 12:36 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
Costco or Sam's Club. Yes I'm serious. You're welcome.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:34 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Costco or Sam's Club. Yes I'm serious. You're welcome.
It's true, they are the best quality for the easiest price and shopping experience.

Shopping for a mattress is ridiculous. The same mattress is called something different in every store you shop in. Sales are constantly going on and changing. Prices are not set in stone. There is no way to compare prices between stores because of the different model names. And there are no online sources you can research (unlike cars where you can go to consumer reports or edmunds).

Old 09-23-2013, 01:38 PM

715 posts, read 1,234,056 times
Furniture shopping in general sucks. We did it last year and I dread the day we have to do it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island