Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 04:19 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,599 times

Advertisements

Ron Swanson said it best, folks.

Ron Swanson - Why He Doesn't Hire Contractors - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 06:44 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Wow! It looks like 2 schmucks and a truck painting company, sorry you got such a bad contractor. I would cancel immediately refuse payment, take pictures of everything. Getting legal advice might be good also. Were also having some painting done soon and it is a 1.5 day job to strip wallpaper, paint and the trim. Written proposal identifies everything.

Good Luck..

Old 09-24-2013, 07:34 PM

622 posts, read 852,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heuerfan View Post
Contractor told me this morning 3 bedrooms would be painted, got home from work and nothing was done but a little priming on the ceiling. This was the straw that broke the camels back, no more mister nice guy!

Here are pics of what they did to my floors.....

Actually, I've seen worse, as far as the floors are concerned. Generally speaking, mudding walls is messy work. I know it's easy to say after the mess is done, but when writing the estimate, have your contractor write up how they will leave the work area.

The problem is you live on LI where every retired LIRR, NYPD and assorted others hang a shingle advertising a skill. There's enough demand here to keep lot's of these guys busy. Very busy. And I probably don't have to tell you, labor rates are out of sight here in suburban hades. On top of that, not many of these guys are really good at what they do. Sure, some have great references, but all you need is for your guy to take another project(s).

So, when you do take your contractor to task and complain about the time and orderliness of the work, you become labeled a problem customer. They cut and run. Then you need to hope either they haven't cashed the check yet, or you call them every day. Every day you call to get them back to complete the lousy job.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:18 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
^ those contractors don't last - and that's why you want the ones with a nice list of references who you can actually reach. But yes, make sure he's not TOO busy.

Easier with a reputable general contractor using guys he trusts and lays his reputation with year after year. Our guy finished in exactly 3 months as promised and he worked the whole house. He was managing smaller projects at the same time, but he was frequently on-site. We were very fortunate to find him as he did another house on the next block and we did our homework from there.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-24-2013 at 08:27 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 07:10 AM

122 posts, read 266,987 times
I was told by the contractor that our kids rooms are 100% complete.

Does this look like complete?

This is just one of the outlets, most of them need to be fixed.

Today is supposed to be the last day, i'm not paying this guy his balance until he fixes all the issues.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:17 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,107 times
Quote:
I was told by the contractor that the kids rooms are 100% complete.

Today is supposed to be the last day, i'm not paying this guy his balance until he fixes all the issues.
That guy needs to be sent packing. How could he paint with the walls that way? Find someone new. This guy obviously doesn't know what he's doing.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
^ those contractors don't last - and that's why you want the ones with a nice list of references who you can actually reach. But yes, make sure he's not TOO busy.

Unfortunately they do ... "hey, I know a guy, he does it on the side....won't charge you as much and does a good job"....but it's not their livelihood so they don't need the references from big jobs like real GCs, who pay for insurance, worker's comp, etc do. Just ask OhBeeHave.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:22 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
I was told by the contractor that our kids rooms are 100% complete.

Tell us honestly, where did you find this guy?!

I like that color, by the way!

Old 09-25-2013, 07:30 AM

122 posts, read 266,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Tell us honestly, where did you find this guy?!

I like that color, by the way!
He was recommended by our realtor believe it or not, problem is he does not check the work of his workers or is present to supervise.

Thanks the color is Benjamin Moore Nova Scotia Blue!

Old 09-25-2013, 10:54 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
He was recommended by our realtor believe it or not, problem is he does not check the work of his workers or is present to supervise.

Thanks the color is Benjamin Moore Nova Scotia Blue!
I bet the realtor gets a kickback from the guy. A lot of people who are in a position to recommend services to a lot of homeowners do things that way when approached by contractors, mortgage brokers, ETC. to make a lasting referral deal. Seriously, I know of this happening! Not just in NY either. I know some in Florida that do it, for example. Also note in the Real Estate Book publications, usually on a page there is most of it filled by a realtor and houses for sale, and a small ad for a mortgage broker at the bottom. Guess who usually paid for the whole page? The mortgage broker! As "gratitude" for the customer referrals.

That is awful, awful work! Like dopey kids did it who don't/know or care what they are doing!

If he ignores you, gives you guff and/or refuses to fix it right (which I suspect will happen if he considers that "complete"), send pics to one of those "help people" consumer journalists like "Help me Howard!" etc. They can shame these idiots into doing the right thing and give them bad publicity to boot. Did you call your municipality who licenses contractors and check if this one is licensed and/or has had complaints against him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island