Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:39 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,738 times

Advertisements

I'm told certain things makes a house less attractive... Corner house, house on main artery, etc.

Is a house with the backyard facing a private golf course among these?
Besides the obvious negative of errant golf balls from crappy golfers hitting you or the house, what are other possible negatives?

Looking at houses and i see a decent house. its been sitting on the market and I'm wondering if being near the golf course has anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 11:43 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
My house us on a golf course. They tee off right behind me and are driving the opposite way. I've never even found a stay golf ball in my yard. I love having it behind me, it means no rear neighbors.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:48 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
That really depends upon how you feel about the location. I grew up across the street from a school playground and LOVED it. As a child of the 50's with many other neighborhood kids it was wonderful to have our own gigantic playground with swings and monkey bars and barrels and slides. We sold my parents' home in 4 days. One mans' meat is another's poison. IF you are loving the house, I say go for it, unless you are thinking of it as an investment property to flip or only plan on staying a few years because as you suspect some might be deterred by that location and you would want to maximize your chance of selling.

It really depends upon a lot of factors too, like general condition of the course, i.e. is it maintained or and eyesore, community surrounding it, etc.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:58 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I'm told certain things makes a house less attractive... Corner house, house on main artery, etc.

Is a house with the backyard facing a private golf course among these?
Besides the obvious negative of errant golf balls from crappy golfers hitting you or the house, what are other possible negatives?

Looking at houses and i see a decent house. its been sitting on the market and I'm wondering if being near the golf course has anything to do with it.

Is the house only facing the golf course or is it practically on the golf course? Are you facing greens or the parking lot? If it's too close to any of the holes, search the area for stray golf balls. Personally, I'm not a fan of golf so I probably would pass but the hubby would be all over it.

How long has it been on the market?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:15 PM

Backyard is adjacent to the greens , with a fence and some trees as a buffer. Been on the market for a few months, with a recent price drop. Its a private golf course, so whether or not I like golf, I can't just hop over the fence and go golfing.

I hate golfing by the way... and I'm a doctor too believe or not. My wife likes golfing although she stinks at it.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:24 PM

220 posts, read 379,424 times
I'd stay away from houses close to the greens because of possible errant shots. Balls hit towards the green also tend to be higher loft shots (for softer landing), so they could conceivably clear most trees. I guess it depends on just how close the house is.

Homes near the tee box wouldn't necessarily be a target of hit balls (depending on how close the previous hole's green is), but then there's the "thwack" of clubs hitting balls that you'd need to deal with during the day/weekends, might get annoying.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:48 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I think it's really personal preference. There's a street in Garden City that backs to the golf course (GC CC) and houses go quickly when they come on the market (usually)...as someone pointed out, you will never have to deal with noisy neighbors. The view is usually nice.

We looked at a house once that backed to the Huntington CC - there were a few golf balls in the yard but nothing terrible.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:02 PM

703 posts, read 1,173,938 times
My sister lives on a golf course and hears a lot of colorful language. She tells her kids to ignore it. Depending on how it's situated you may get stronger winds on your property too, but it sounds like there is a wind break.

But it sounds promising, good luck.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:40 PM

I'm looking at satellite map images and I see a sand trap about 20feet from the backyard fence. Is that a bad sign in terms of likelihood of errant golf balls?

Old 09-27-2013, 08:04 PM

465 posts, read 1,710,143 times
I live across street from a golf course, the mowers are out early...real early. Def hear them with windows open, I wake up early anyway, but for some could be an issue. Sometimes you can hear golfers talking , etc...not worse than neighbors tho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island