Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMike722 View Post
Thank you for the compliment. I do appreciate it.

I find it strange that he was "legally obligated" to install based on cu.ft. , but I am glad you went with an installer and a brand that you were more comfortable with and got the ones you really wanted.

I consulted the HVAC guy in my building and he said to stick with Mitsubishi, Daikin and Fujitsu - each are reliable brands and the parts are readily available in this area. I went with the Fujitsu based mainly on price and I liked the efficiency of the RLS2 units (mitsubish and daikin tend to be more expensive). I found an excellent installer that actually saved me money by re-configuring the units and their prices in general were the best by far. I am extremely happy with their performance and I hope you are happy with your choice as well.

Mike,

Can you recommend any contractors who do this kind of work? I have a 2 family property in Brooklyn with one gas boiler and was thinking of switching to ductless for both heat and air.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 10:00 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
^^
I had five Fujitsu units installed a year ago. Are you thinking about getting it primarily for cooling with the heat as an added bonus? Asking because from my experience the ductless heat pumps work great as a supplementary heating source, but when the temp dropped near 0 F during the last winter, the amount of heat that it's able to produce is greatly diminished. However last winter was arguably one of the coldest winters that we've had in years.

Since you live in NYC, you may be eligible for the ConEd rebates of up to $400 per unit assuming that you get the most energy efficient units. I believe that the Fujitsu 9 and 12RLS2 should qualify for the maximum rebate and the 15,000BTU version should be eligible for the $250 rebate. However please research this yourself to confirm.
https://www.conedhvacrebates.com/hvac/electric

As for the units I purchased them from a store in Flushing. It's a small store that only sells/installs ductless split units. The wife mans the store and the husband does the installation. The store is in a basement on Main St, and is hard to find if you don't know about it. I found out about the store after seeing my neighbor install 6 Mitsu units.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:57 AM

54 posts, read 251,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1412 View Post
Mike,

Can you recommend any contractors who do this kind of work? I have a 2 family property in Brooklyn with one gas boiler and was thinking of switching to ductless for both heat and air.

Any thoughts?
That's funny you ask that because I was considering doing that for a 2 family property I have as well. Personally I am probably not going to go that route at this time. I have gas heat at the property and the bills have not been bad at all - the only problem is that tenants can't control their own heat, but I haven't had complaints. I factor the cost of the heat into the rent.

I had an old through the wall AC that just died in one of the apartments. I am replacing it with a split because I will be able to recoup the cost through increased rent.

I think it also makes the property more valuable having AC and the ability for the tenants to control their own heat. My parents use these as their main heating source in PA and it has saved them money over the electric baseboard heat (their bills have been cut by at least a 1/3). So, properly sized, I think your tenants could be comfortable with the heat from these units if you decide to go that route.

I sent you a DM with the info on the company I used. Had them installed 2 years ago and have been quite happy with their performance.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:44 PM

4 posts, read 7,664 times
Hey NYMike722,

can you send me the contact info for Ductless A?C install

Thanks
HG

Old 09-19-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman123 View Post
Hey NYMike722,

can you send me the contact info for Ductless A?C install

Thanks
HG
Just saw your message.. sent you the DM with the info!

Old 06-24-2016, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,047 times
Hey NYMike722,

Realize this is an old thread, but could you also send me the contact info for the ductless AC company you used?

Thanks!
J

Old 06-25-2016, 08:06 AM

755 posts, read 1,080,411 times
I had Fujitsu mini split system put in also.

Initially, I was pretty set on using Mitsubishi. Seems everyone believes it is the cream of the crop. But the prices I was getting from Authorized Installers in the LI region were ridiculous.

I got the model with Extra Low Temperature Heating (XLTH) and it warmed 650 sq ft this past winter without problem. It was the only heating source. The space being heated is newly added so it was air sealed and well insulated.

I went with an authorized installer from Flushing , and saved over 40% compared to the lowest Mitsubishi quote.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
I had Fujitsu mini split system put in also.

Initially, I was pretty set on using Mitsubishi. Seems everyone believes it is the cream of the crop. But the prices I was getting from Authorized Installers in the LI region were ridiculous.

I got the model with Extra Low Temperature Heating (XLTH) and it warmed 650 sq ft this past winter without problem. It was the only heating source. The space being heated is newly added so it was air sealed and well insulated.

I went with an authorized installer from Flushing , and saved over 40% compared to the lowest Mitsubishi quote.
loveithateit - could you please send me the info for the installer you used? the quotes we got for mitsubishi install on LI were pretty steep but not sure if it's because it's the summer

Old 06-28-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningjo View Post
Hey NYMike722,

Realize this is an old thread, but could you also send me the contact info for the ductless AC company you used?

Thanks!
J
Sent you the info. Next time send me a DM because I nearly overlooked this. I don't check this forum as much as I used to. Good luck!

Mike

Old 06-29-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMike722 View Post
Sent you the info. Next time send me a DM because I nearly overlooked this. I don't check this forum as much as I used to. Good luck!

Mike
Thanks, Mike! Just saw your DM. Will certainly remember to reach out directly for any other questions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island