Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 10:14 AM

246 posts, read 430,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Your point has no merit and is not based in reality. All of the new hires come with similar credentials. The market is closed here due to oversaturation of MONEY in the budget dedicated to teacher salaries and benefits. It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with quality of teachers and if it does, PROVE IT. They are all scared s*itless about those assessment exams, aren't they!? Bad for the kids, sure...bad for the teachers...MORE!
I'm just trying to apply logic here. If there are few public school jobs to come by - why wouldn't they be filled with the most qualified candidates? I don't think they are just picking applicants out of a hat.

Of course they are scared about those exams. So would you or I be if our performance was being evaluated by something with so many variables over which we had no control.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:43 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Let's put it another way. If we removed tenure and mandatory pay increases, average salaries would come down even for teachers who currently have jobs. Either they will take pay cuts or will have to forgo raises and pension benefits like the private sector.

Would those who have jobs keep their positions? Probably. Are they the most qualified? Maybe. But they won't be paid salaries and benefits as much as they are today and once they hit a certain point, it becomes easy to replace them with a new hire who is paid less.

That's all mongoose is asking for. Let market forces set teachers' pay like the way it works for those who pay the taxes that support them. If market forces say that teachers should get paid in six digits with defined benefit pensions, then so be it. If not, let the ax fall where it may.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:57 AM

3,521 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player01 View Post
Valued, yes. But not necessarily for their educational superiority.
I would disagree.....

Old 10-08-2013, 10:59 AM

295 posts, read 345,869 times
This topic again????? Best advice, is focus on your own destiny and priority so this becomes a non factor for you.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:07 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player01 View Post
I'm fairly certain we are only really talking about this area. I highly doubt they are "equal in every way."

LI public schools have the luxury of hiring desirable teachers. If you are not a highly qualified individual, you go teach in NYC or a private school.
Talk about living in a fantasy world. I can't give you a percentage, but of the people that my wife works with, at least half of them had an inside connection with the school district. Be it a secretary who put their resume on the principal or superintendents desk, or the Superintendent themselves being a relative. The system is loaded with nepotism. Just because LI districts COULD hire the cream of the crop, it does not mean they always do.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NassauGuy12 View Post
Dman72, you also did not understand the post and stated the obvious to everyone. Mongoose, you did understand and provided a valid argument. We just happen to disagree. It seems like you are willing to fight the good fight for change of such a "serious" issue and i wish you luck with that, but doubt (i may be wrong) you are doing anything credible to change but post on here. I persoanlly rather like to undertand the rules and mechanincs of how the systems works and play within those boundaries and it has worked out quite well for me. Some may see it as demented, but if you have not figured out that's it's who you know coupled with your skills, then you never will.
Translation: my Uncle/Aunt/Cousin got me on the fast track to the public serve feeding trough, and I like to tell other people that makes me a genius when I'm just lucky.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:15 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Talk about living in a fantasy world. I can't give you a percentage, but of the people that my wife works with, at least half of them had an inside connection with the school district. Be it a secretary who put their resume on the principal or superintendents desk, or the Superintendent themselves being a relative. The system is loaded with nepotism. Just because LI districts COULD hire the cream of the crop, it does not mean they always do.
The people who disagree with this post are either in denial or have no clue. I also know of several hires at my wife's district who had an in. My wife is now a SAHM but, she still hears all the nonsense from her good friends.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:24 AM

295 posts, read 345,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Translation: my Uncle/Aunt/Cousin got me on the fast track to the public serve feeding trough, and I like to tell other people that makes me a genius when I'm just lucky.
Work on wall street. Parents are immigrants, Connections i have, are the ones I forged myself.....But what Again i'm stating, is why all the complaining? These facts are well known before you enter the profession. You can complain and try to change things, sadly I don't think you will be happy with that outcome.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NassauGuy12 View Post
Work on wall street. Parents are immigrants, have no connections....But what Again i'm stating, is why all the complaining? These facts are well known before you enter the profession. You can complain and try to change things, sadly I don't think you will be happy with that outcome.
So your impeccably profound point after all our posts in this thread is that people who think public workers salaries are too high are jealous and should stop complaining.

Your opinion has been noted.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:27 AM

40 posts, read 43,988 times
Everyone needs to stop replying on here. Ever notice it's the same 5 or 6 posters complaining about this topic over and over again? At this point it looks they're just here to rant, hear themselves talk, or argue for the sake of it. We all know these same posters have probably never been teachers, cops, state workers yet the continue to make assumptions about the exact qualifications and what the job is like. It's laughable, and having a friend, family member, etc. who is a civil worker doesn't mean they know exactly how hard they work.

'Property and school taxes are insane because civil workers are overpaid with glorious lifetime benefits and pension, yada yada' same old argument. Sure it's not fair to people that taxes are high and keep rising during the economic recession, but if you want low taxes then why would even bother living on Long Island in first place? Yea property and school taxes keep rising, but then again show me a place in the United States where property and school taxes haven't raised since the 80s.

The underpaid private sector worker argument is getting old. There is still plenty of opportunity to make well above six figures in the private sector, especially in NYC. Go work for a promotion, find a job with another company that pays more money, get an MBA from a top tier university. This isn't the caste system of India or communism..we all have the opportunity to make good to high salaries whether it's being an experienced Long Island school teacher or $250k+ management position.

Threads have been created on this topic for years and what has it accomplished, absolutely nothing. Taxes are still rising and civil workers are still making six figure salaries with benefits and pension. It would be more effective if these posters took some real action instead of complaining all day. They're absolutely gullible to think that creating internet threads on this topic is promoting changes. Majority of the population doesn't know about this website, yet alone have time read internet boards. Most people are occupied spending time with their families and friends, participating in their hobbies and recreational activities, working out, or too busy making money to post or care about CD and other internet boards. Also you can call me troll but I'm also pretty sure the OP is a troll too. He just created an account last week and the first thing he/she posts is an attachment from seethroughny, come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island