Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:35 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,944,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It's PROSPECTIVE people, not perspective. Are we now writing the way we speak? What's next, "I axed for a raise?"
"Supposabbly they are building a Dairy Queen there" and "could you be more pacific?"
This sounds like a mix of a Brooklyn accent and Autoracer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 12:44 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,502,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It's PROSPECTIVE people, not perspective. Are we now writing the way we speak? What's next, "I axed for a raise?"
"Supposabbly they are building a Dairy Queen there" and "could you be more pacific?"
No need to go nucular, the guy is just using the landlord as an escape goat. Anyway, aren't there more important things to worry about, like Evian flu?

Old 10-11-2013, 02:32 PM

486 posts, read 2,106,518 times
Be proactive and run your own credit report with score and have it handy to show potential landlords.
Just white out your S.S.# but leave your name and date for obvious reasons.
Your credit report will show the landlord that you pay your bills on time....hopefully you do.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:33 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,944,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
Be proactive and run your own credit report with score and have it handy to show potential landlords.
Just white out your S.S.# but leave your name and date for obvious reasons.
Your credit report will show the landlord that you pay your bills on time....hopefully you do.
No landlord should accept a prospective (perspective? ) tenants personally printed credit report.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:36 PM

486 posts, read 2,106,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
No landlord should accept a prospective (perspective? ) tenants personally printed credit report.

Now that I think about that, you are right. It can be fudged.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:48 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,502,526 times
No need to give your landlord your real name either. Just make one up, like Johnny O'verTheTopParanoia. And don't let him know where you live. Which means if you rent from him you need to hide under the bed at night in case he comes in. That'll keep him guessing.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:42 AM

111 posts, read 222,012 times
Honestly, I don't think it's the least bit crazy for tenants to be leery of giving out their Social Security numbers. CraigsList alone is drowning in illegal apartment listings, or listings that themselves are illegal (such as discriminating against renters with children), so clearly there are a great number of landlords out there who have no issue breaking the law. I'm scared to death of identity theft; why would I trust some completely random person with my personal information?

There has to be some kind of middle ground that protects both parties. Perhaps sitting down with the landlord and a computer, and showing them your credit report on the website of one of the credit reporting agencies, or getting a letter attesting to one's credit-worthiness. Something like that.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:59 AM

537 posts, read 1,441,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Century View Post
Honestly, I don't think it's the least bit crazy for tenants to be leery of giving out their Social Security numbers. CraigsList alone is drowning in illegal apartment listings, or listings that themselves are illegal (such as discriminating against renters with children), so clearly there are a great number of landlords out there who have no issue breaking the law. I'm scared to death of identity theft; why would I trust some completely random person with my personal information?

There has to be some kind of middle ground that protects both parties. Perhaps sitting down with the landlord and a computer, and showing them your credit report on the website of one of the credit reporting agencies, or getting a letter attesting to one's credit-worthiness. Something like that.

Ummm.... no. Because again how can the landlord report a deadbeat tenant when they don't pay without a SSN?

If you don't trust all the craigslist rentals, look for a rental in an apartment complex. Of course you will pay way more in rent, but there is a price for "trust" right?

Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 AM

15 posts, read 63,988 times
I trust most landlords that come from some sort of larger corporate structure because if they screw me they actually have someone to report to. It's not some private homeowner just by himself.

However, I just want to make sure that my social security number isn't just going to be floating around someone's office, where it can be read and recorded by everyone from the CEO to the summer intern. I also want to make sure that the landlord or person holding my social security number doesn't use it fraudulently or for identity theft.

Does anyone in the industry know how landlords typically handle social security numbers? Do they look up your credit and then quickly shred it? Is that the industry standard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island