U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Re-open the Central RR?
Yes, do it...turn the Lighthouse into a transit hub 8 88.89%
No thanks, I'll live with the traffic 0 0%
I'm undecided or I have no clue what this is about 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 02:54 PM

9,341 posts, read 27,498,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
My point here is that none of us individually own this island or the ideas and values behind it. Times change, people change, demographics change....your choice is either to adapt or move away, but nothing is threatening your "culture and heritage". If Asians are moving here, buying houses and voting, they're doing it legally as American citizens and have the same right to be making crappy decisions as you and I.
Hear, hear!

Fear of the immigrant is nothing new and goes back to the Protestant nativists (the Know Nothing political party) who did not want the Irish Catholic immigrants in their communities, and later did not want the Italian nor Jewish immigrants, and then later passed the Chinese Exclusion Act, which prohibited immigration from many countries in East Asia.

By the way, as a Jew, I, as well as Jesus of Nazareth, am/are an Asian (a West Asian, but still an Asian).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 08:26 PM

491 posts, read 715,673 times
Quote:
moving here, buying houses and voting, they're doing it legally as American citizens and have the same right to be making crappy decisions as you and I.D
That’s the problem, most the new ones in the country the past 10 years are NOT legal however unlike the illegal Central Americans they come up with CASH.
One American with $$ buys the house and puts 20 people they call "extended family" or "there 12 kids" in the school system on the taxpayers dime.

For example Manhasset or GC= spends $20,000 taxpayer dollars per kid per year. Unlike other groups the Asian people have the same names, the system has no way of checking and they play off that. Many devolopers and builders are also backed by the wealthy Rev. Moon organization.

Ever notice how the Asians knock down and build these large space efficient barricks with little windows, no parking, yet usually claim them as private worship houses when questioned ?

This is what Nassau County is looking at in 10 years, I wouldnt trust Suozzi or any of his friends with anything. Suazzi made a mess when he ran Glen Cove with projects, upping zoning, taxes doubled, they still have NIMBY lawsuits up the wazoo.
He's an ego crazy nut like Robert Moses whos south Bronx projects and 1964 Worlds Fair lost 100's of millions in 1964 money

Last edited by Joe L; 11-23-2007 at 08:49 PM..

Old 11-25-2007, 12:02 AM

2,845 posts, read 9,801,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
That’s the problem, most the new ones in the country the past 10 years are NOT legal however unlike the illegal Central Americans they come up with CASH.
One American with $$ buys the house and puts 20 people they call "extended family" or "there 12 kids" in the school system on the taxpayers dime.

For example Manhasset or GC= spends $20,000 taxpayer dollars per kid per year. Unlike other groups the Asian people have the same names, the system has no way of checking and they play off that. Many devolopers and builders are also backed by the wealthy Rev. Moon organization.

Ever notice how the Asians knock down and build these large space efficient barricks with little windows, no parking, yet usually claim them as private worship houses when questioned ?
Until I see some proof that this situation is anywhere near as rampant as you make it seem, there's no reason for me to believe things like this are really hurting anyone, especially considering that Manhasset has some of the lowest school taxes on Long Island. Most importantly, this is completely off topic and if you wanna discuss it further I'd be glad to do so but only in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
This is what Nassau County is looking at in 10 years, I wouldnt trust Suozzi or any of his friends with anything. Suazzi made a mess when he ran Glen Cove with projects, upping zoning, taxes doubled, they still have NIMBY lawsuits up the wazoo.
He's an ego crazy nut like Robert Moses whos south Bronx projects and 1964 Worlds Fair lost 100's of millions in 1964 money
Don't forget another thing Robert Moses did was make the bridges on the parkways too low so that buses (full of city negroes) couldn't get to them. Long term result is that we're stuck with somewhat nice, scenic parkways....but you can't get anywhere on them! Their design limitations were due to this same shortsighted desire to save a fictional "culture and heritage" and we're now paying the price, 80 years down the road.

On the other hand, people thought Robert Moses was crazy building all these roads at the time - a time when automobiles were considered a novelty for the wealthy. Looking at it from another perspective, you can say that he at least had the foresight to realize what the future would bring. We need to realize that things are gonna change in Nassau and plan accordingly. I'm not scared of the change, growth or the people it's gonna bring....like somebody else said if you wanna pretend it's 1963 just keep moving east until you run out of island.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:58 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,357,410 times
Quote:
Until I see some proof that this situation is anywhere near as rampant as you make it seem, there's no reason for me to believe things like this are really hurting anyone, especially considering that Manhasset has some of the lowest school taxes on Long Island. Most importantly, this is completely off topic and if you wanna discuss it further I'd be glad to do so but only in another thread.

Don't forget another thing Robert Moses did was make the bridges on the parkways too low so that buses (full of city negroes) couldn't get to them. Long term result is that we're stuck with somewhat nice, scenic parkways....but you can't get anywhere on them! Their design limitations were due to this same shortsighted desire to save a fictional "culture and heritage" and we're now paying the price, 80 years down the road.

On the other hand, people thought Robert Moses was crazy building all these roads at the time - a time when automobiles were considered a novelty for the wealthy. Looking at it from another perspective, you can say that he at least had the foresight to realize what the future would bring. We need to realize that things are gonna change in Nassau and plan accordingly. I'm not scared of the change, growth or the people it's gonna bring....like somebody else said if you wanna pretend it's 1963 just keep moving east until you run out of island.
Go to queens if you want to see an asian disaster. See, Irish, Italians, etc. came here from 1st-world nations during a time when America was in need of establishment to the rest of the world and itself. We're established now, and tons of 3rd world people coming here is not the best thing.

Anyway, back to the beautiful lighthouse...bring it on...

Old 11-26-2007, 10:05 PM

2,845 posts, read 9,801,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Go to queens if you want to see an asian disaster. See, Irish, Italians, etc. came here from 1st-world nations during a time when America was in need of establishment to the rest of the world and itself. We're established now, and tons of 3rd world people coming here is not the best thing.

Anyway, back to the beautiful lighthouse...bring it on...
I think a lot of people would argue that America was doing just fine before all those potato famine "first world" immigrants came over here, I know I'd argue with you that Latin America and China are "third world" countries in the year 2007, and when I was in Hamilton Beach the other day I saw the same disgusting space efficient, asphalt lawn brick monstrosities that the Asians are so well known for.

Please, enough of this....we can start another thread for everyone to air out their ridiculous ideas about minority groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island