Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 02:07 PM

13 posts, read 18,777 times

Advertisements

I have been working at a great company for 2.5 years as a temp and recently got on board with a permanent position. The pay is average at 45k starting. However, overtime is always present for at least 6 months out the year practically doubling the salary to just shy over 100k mark. Family of 4 and we rent from relatives with a low rent rate. However, we would like to move out by next summer. By that time, we should have 40k in savings. I am not sure if renting is the way to go or purchasing. My kids are 10 and 14 (had them very young)....Im only 29. At this point, I am not sure if its wise to purchase giving my son will only have 2 years left to graduate by the time we start looking. I was figuring out maybe rent for a few years, once they head off to college....maybe at that time looking for a small house or condo? Just looking for suggestions and thoughts. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 02:35 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Assuming that $100K/year is firm, you can probably afford a $2500 rental. Not bad. In that case, renting is better than buying. You can find something in the south shore at that rate, then invest your savings in an investment account (401K, etc.). Suburban rents are currently very attractive, whether in LI, Westchester or NJ.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:55 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBePeace View Post
At this point, I am not sure if its wise to purchase giving my son will only have 2 years left to graduate by the time we start looking. I was figuring out maybe rent for a few years, once they head off to college....maybe at that time looking for a small house or condo? Just looking for suggestions and thoughts. Thanks
Based on the information you provided, I suggest you rent your own place for a few years and save as much money as you can. In the meantime you will also have a better idea about how permanent your new job is.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Assuming that $100K/year is firm, you can probably afford a $2500 rental. Not bad. In that case, renting is better than buying. You can find something in the south shore at that rate, then invest your savings in an investment account (401K, etc.). Suburban rents are currently very attractive, whether in LI, Westchester or NJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Based on the information you provided, I suggest you rent your own place for a few years and save as much money as you can. In the meantime you will also have a better idea about how permanent your new job is.
Thanks for the suggestions. I figured renting was the best option for me.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:19 PM

538 posts, read 1,007,773 times
Never assume the OT will always be there. What happens if it dries up???

Old 10-13-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
Never assume the OT will always be there. What happens if it dries up???

I don't go by OT. My numbers are strictly based on my salary. OT just gives me extra cash for the stash to when I do move. Thanks for the pointer though

Old 10-20-2013, 07:02 PM

Also, are there any income based apartments on Long Island?

Old 10-20-2013, 08:43 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBePeace View Post
I don't go by OT. My numbers are strictly based on my salary. OT just gives me extra cash for the stash to when I do move. Thanks for the pointer though

So, 45k just in salary is NOT going to cut. I would not rely on OT either.
I would rent for another 2-3 years. Save ALL of that OT Money & you will be just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island