Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 08:53 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Yet it costs A LOT more to buy "organic" considering they aren't using anything if the food is being grown naturally lol
A sucker is born every day. The Food Fetishists will buy into anything that is suppose to let them live to be 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:55 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
The produce and meats at King Kullen taste no different to me than that at Whole Foods. If you need to feel like you are better than others, than shop at WF. I went there once, and I wanted to slap every other patron for their holier than though attitudes.
That's how I felt when I shopped at Fairway in Plainview and when I went to Trader Joe's. Those were the first and last times I shopped at either store. Those stores have a lot more selections on certain foods (if you need to have blue popcorn) but I don't see what all the whoopla is about. I see and hear a lot of people raving about TJ's frozen foods. It's frozen food. If I want chicken and broccoli I'll just call the take-out restaurant up the block instead of buying FROZEN FOOD.

I've never purchased organic produce but my dad grows a lot of his own produce. So much, that everytime I'm there I end up going home with 2 shopping bags full of different kinds of peppers and tomatoes, basil, zucchini, onions and parsely. He doesn't use chemicals or pesticides so when I eat his produce, I'm eating organic. Yes, I can certainly taste the difference but I don't see why organic needs to be overpriced.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
A sucker is born every day. The Food Fetishists will buy into anything that is suppose to let them live to be 100.

I agree.

My husband asked me why we don't buy brown or organic eggs. I said, "Because at $5 a dozen and they taste the same, I'm just NOT spending $5 a dozen".

He patted me on the back lol

Old 10-16-2013, 09:50 AM

Yep...everyone wants to head on the Road to Wellville. Store opened in my town..Phoutain...it sells "alkaline water"....its suppose to be healthier. They also give "detoxifying" foot baths and hydro colon cleaning (ie enema). All suppose to keep you alive forever and ever. They have several locations on the Island. Guess there are fools everywhere these days.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:51 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I agree.

My husband asked me why we don't buy brown or organic eggs. I said, "Because at $5 a dozen and they taste the same, I'm just NOT spending $5 a dozen".

He patted me on the back lol
Brown eggs and white eggs are exactly the same.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Brown eggs and white eggs are exactly the same.
That's why I don't buy the brown eggs--they're the same but yet cost more. Go figure!

Old 10-16-2013, 12:19 PM

204 posts, read 296,844 times
Baby boomers did eat organic food, it used to be the only way to produce food because there was no such thing as genetic modification or Round Up Ready corn. heavy use of GMO didn't begin until the late 90s. This is what most people don't seem to get. The need for "organic"is new, because the RECENT changes in mass produced food are drastic.

Organic costs more because it requires more labor. Chemicals and GMO are cost and labor saving techniques, it allows for higher profits.

I can't help but think that people who believe ingesting chemicals on a regular basis will have no effect are just plain dumb.

There is no question that lots of snake oil salesmen are jumping on the organic bandwagon, that doesn't negate the concept, it just means you have to be aware, like with everything else.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:21 PM

and where did you get your degree in agronomy? The Dr. Google School of Agriculture, Dance and Music?

Old 10-16-2013, 01:38 PM

204 posts, read 296,844 times
Uh oh, you got me, that's where it's from. Doesn't change the facts though.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple juice View Post
Baby boomers did eat organic food, it used to be the only way to produce food because there was no such thing as genetic modification or Round Up Ready corn. heavy use of GMO didn't begin until the late 90s. This is what most people don't seem to get. The need for "organic"is new, because the RECENT changes in mass produced food are drastic.

Organic costs more because it requires more labor. Chemicals and GMO are cost and labor saving techniques, it allows for higher profits.

I can't help but think that people who believe ingesting chemicals on a regular basis will have no effect are just plain dumb.

There is no question that lots of snake oil salesmen are jumping on the organic bandwagon, that doesn't negate the concept, it just means you have to be aware, like with everything else.
I'm not disagreeing that there's some crap we're ingesting but I think we'd all be dropping like flies if it were THAT hazzardous. We live in NYC, LI--there's junk in the air so no matter how "organic" you eat, it really doesn't matter when we're BREATHING in toxins. I've lost loved ones to cancer and other diseases and these were healthy, fit, "organic" eating people who didn't smoke. I don't buy into the whole health thing when it comes to "organic".

I also don't buy into why the cost is more for "organic". Conventionally grown produce is at a ridiculous high because of gas prices. Broccoli is being sold by the pound instead of the bunch, apples, which are PLENTIFUL and are now in season, are almost $2 A POUND. That's absurd!

Then you look at the cost of "organic" and it costs twice as much?? Nope. Not buying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island