Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 10,017 times

Advertisements

Hello all - new to the site. I am in contract to purchase a home in Brookhaven and the second story addition was built 1 foot over the footprint of the home on the right side of the house. Im sure the house was built when the setbacks were smaller because it is about 15 ft from the side property line and the current side yard setbacks are 25 ft. The seller is going for a c/o for the second story addition (built over the garage) which, again, extends over the side of the house by 1 foot. My question to anyone with knowledge of the situation is this: will he need a variance to get the c/o? Also - what about closing now and leaving some money in escrow? Can the town come and make me rip the addition down? Thanks to everyone in advance. (also worth noting, the addition was built around 20 years ago).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 02:57 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
There was no C/O for the 2nd floor addition at all? If it's an entire 2nd floor, I'd first wonder if things were built to code (safety). Beams on the first floor would need to support the weight, etc. but I guess it has stood fine for 20 years. If you're already in contract, you likely have had a home inspection too.

Anyway, it matters most when it was built and what the setback rules were then. They aren't going to make you tear it down, but a variance is likely. BTW, we also cantilevered, but in the rear of the structure which has no setback ramifications. Both sides of the new 2nd floor had to be less wide due to the new setback rules - didn't want to deal with a variance and hold construction.

Many would advise against closing on a house with an outstanding C/O (especially an important one), even if money is left in escrow. Money isn't going to solve your headaches - not sure how Town of Brookhaven works, but the process MAY drag on for months here.

Last edited by ovi8; 10-17-2013 at 03:08 PM..

Old 10-17-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
There was no C/O for the 2nd floor addition at all? If it's an entire 2nd floor, I'd first wonder if things were built to code (safety). Beams on the first floor would need to support the weight, etc. but I guess it has stood fine for 20 years. If you're already in contract, you likely have had a home inspection too.

Anyway, it matters most when it was built and what the setback rules were then. They aren't going to make you tear it down, but a variance is likely. BTW, we also cantilevered, but in the rear of the structure which has no setback ramifications. Both sides of the new 2nd floor had to be less wide due to the new setback rules - didn't want to deal with a variance and hold construction.

Many would advise against closing on a house with an outstanding C/O (especially an important one), even if money is left in escrow. Money isn't going to solve your headaches - not sure how Town of Brookhaven works, but the process MAY drag on for months here.
Thank you for the reply. Sorry I didn't clarify - there is a c/o for +/- 80% of the structure... the whole first floor with attached garage and about 30% of the second floor. Basically it was originally a flat roof over the garage that they built an addition over.

My thought was that we could close and leave money in escrow and still keep the responsibility of getting the c/o or variance - whatever it may be, with the seller (as well as any possible violation fees if they arise). Then if they are unable to deliver the c/o we keep the money and deal with it. - It would have to be enough money to make it worth our while. Still unadvisable?

Old 10-17-2013, 04:11 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Are you paying cash? I doubt your bank will let you close with such a huge thing hanging over the house. Our buyers tried that - well qualified buyers putting 30% down and the bank said "no closing without CO". Add in the fact that you will probably need a variance because of the setback issue and I doubt they'll go for it.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:29 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Most likely will not need a variance, just a c/o

Old 10-17-2013, 05:35 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
Town of Brookhaven is strange. I watch the zoning boards meetings on tv sometimes and they let really weird, nonconforming things pass all the time after they are built.
I've noticed people in my neighborhood with stuff they built without permits still managing to sell when they want to because they get it approved years later.
It might make more sense for you to pay an expeditor to get it done quicky rather than going the escrow route.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
Town of Brookhaven is strange. I watch the zoning boards meetings on tv sometimes and they let really weird, nonconforming things pass all the time after they are built.
I've noticed people in my neighborhood with stuff they built without permits still managing to sell when they want to because they get it approved years later.
It might make more sense for you to pay an expeditor to get it done quicky rather than going the escrow route.
Thanks for the reply. Actually, the seller has enlisted the services of an expeditor. Does anyone have an idea on how long something like this will take with an expeditor?

Old 10-21-2013, 12:00 PM

anyone have an estimate for a c/o with a variance using an expeditor in brookhaven?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island