Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:38 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post
One store I do remember from when I was a kid that isn't around anymore, I don't think, was the Times Square stores. I remember going there with my mom...I think the one I used to go to is now a K-Mart because I went there when I was up on the Island a few years back...I don't remember the street its on or what town its in though.
On Hempstead Turnpike in Levittown there was a TSS that became a K-Mart, but now it's just an empty building. Could that be the one you remember?

BTW The Billy Joel lyric is a reference to the West Village Green in Hicksville, a very early version of the strip mall design you see virtually everywhere on LI. They were a part of the original Levittown development and were apparently a cool place to hang out in your engineer boots, leather jacket and tight blue jeans back in your dad and Billy the Kid's days... when I was younger they were vacant and run down but most have been fixed up and occupied in the last decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 08:30 PM

879 posts, read 1,953,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdi;
in the Smoke Shop,...
omg, i can still remember the *smell* of the smoke shop!

Old 04-27-2008, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda61 View Post
Good Morning, folks...

I was wondering if anyone might be able to direct me to a source for getting a picture/information on the Great Eastern Mills department store that was located in Elmont, NY, on Hempstead Tpke.

Just this evening, I was at the new Elmont Public Library going through their archives, but came up empty-handed.

Even though I grew up living in Queens on the Nassau-Queens border (still do), my family practically LIVED in that store in the 1960's. It would be a kick to see a photo of the old place.

Thanks so much for your help!

Sincerely,
Linda

Sorry no pictures but I do have memories. Like the time I got myself lost. As the store personel were calling the parents of the lost boy my dad realized his mother in law had taken the Bee-LINE bus there to shop.Luckily she wasn't paying attention. They would'nt have heard the end of it for not taking her. I didn't though. Great Eastern and the Elmont Middle school were once part of Rottcamps' farm.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:17 PM

92 posts, read 476,587 times
Andy, we are getting older but I remember you as if it were yesterday. You and your pals going around EMHS. How is Joey C doing?
Just to let people know, Andybuildz and I went to HS together (even though it was for a little while) way,way back. Met back up on this board. Great Eastern was the store everyone went to. There were a few times my kids asked me where I was going and instead of saying Wal-Mart I said Great Eastern. I'm afraid to think what maybe setting in. Was Great Eastern first or Wal Mart? Wal Mart seems to to a replica of Great Eastern or was it the other way around?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:03 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1 View Post
Andy, we are getting older but I remember you as if it were yesterday. You and your pals going around EMHS. How is Joey C doing?
Just to let people know, Andybuildz and I went to HS together (even though it was for a little while) way,way back. Met back up on this board. Great Eastern was the store everyone went to. There were a few times my kids asked me where I was going and instead of saying Wal-Mart I said Great Eastern. I'm afraid to think what maybe setting in. Was Great Eastern first or Wal Mart? Wal Mart seems to to a replica of Great Eastern or was it the other way around?
Hey you...yeh..gettin' older but luckily so far I don't feel it. Hope it doesn't all hit at once...lol.
Bumped into Joey C in Huntington beleive it or not and did some work on his house for him a few years ago. Speaking of back then...JoeyC and I went to the first Bealtles concert at Shea Stadium together. I bought the most expensive tickets they had...cost all of $8 and change...lol....and I couldn't hear a single song they sang.
Lets see...what radio station were we listening to round that time? WABeatleC or was it The WMCA Good Guys? And how long was it till FM and WPLJ came into all us NY'ers lives? 70-71-ish? Remember Ba-Ba-Lu and Carole Miller and and Zacherle and Tony Pig...and then we got real underground and went with WBAI.
Also...if I recall correctly...just up the road a spell and around a cpl a corners from Great Eastern Mills was an indoor roller rink? Or was that an ice skating rink?
Mannnnnnnnnn...that wuz a lotta years ago. Did you ever see me on The Alan Burke Show with The Diggers? Ahhhhh...don't get me goin'...lol

Old 04-27-2008, 09:06 PM

My family use to watch Alan Burke all the time. Now you have me wondering about the rinks. There was a roller skating rink not to far from us and I do remember the ice rink. Was that the Whitman rink? I have no idea why I came up with that name.The ice rink was further away then the roller rink. I will have to investigate this. You gave me a project this week.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
My family use to watch Alan Burke all the time. Now you have me wondering about the rinks. There was a roller skating rink not to far from us and I do remember the ice rink. Was that the Whitman rink? I have no idea why I came up with that name.The ice rink was further away then the roller rink. I will have to investigate this. You gave me a project this week.
I donno....I only remember one rink and it was on the other side of Hempstead Typk than GEM's was and back a few streets....I think. I never skated there. I just sorta remember it being there.

And Alan Burke Alan Burke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the very first talk show like that of it's kind then came Joe Pine years later. I'd left Elmont HS and ran down to live in the Lower East Side and hooked up a guy named Emmett Grogan with a group from SanFrancisco known as The Diggers The Digger Archives Home Page
. Longggggggg story. I was living in the back of Ed Sanders' The Fugs (The Fugs) book store (The Peace Eye Bookstore) on 10th st by Thompkins Square Park and in walked a scout from Alan Burke's show and asked us to appear and talk about it so there I was...up front at Alan Burke's desk on Channel 5. My parents must have gotten dozens of calls from the kids from Elmont High School telling my parents to put on channel 5...LOL...Long story that didn't ever really have an end...lol..
I told ya...don't get me started...lol

Old 04-27-2008, 10:05 PM

Did anyone go to the Village? Every Sunday I remember in a very large parking lot there was a great flea market.( Andy,we went with Stephanie every week-end.) It was always crowded and we had to push our way through. From there we went to the Square to wait to see one of the Lovin Spoonful. They hung out at the Square. Good memories.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Did anyone go to the Village? Every Sunday I remember in a very large parking lot there was a great flea market.( Andy,we went with Stephanie every week-end.) It was always crowded and we had to push our way through. From there we went to the Square to wait to see one of the Lovin Spoonful. They hung out at the Square. Good memories.
Ayyyup...WOW...good memory. I can remember seeing them pretty often at The Night Owl Cafe which I think was on 4th st??? and I think it was Zak? that we saw at the park?? Geezzzz, that wuz a longggggggggg time ago. Yeh...Stephanie H. She's a cartoonist now living in Vermont and married with a daughter named Niko...same name as my daughter...how weird is that?
And The Cafe Wha! on Mac Dougal Street. Oy...lol

Old 04-28-2008, 06:24 AM

The roller rink was Walcliff. Now, the ice skating rink I cannot think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island