Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misierra View Post
Hi There,

Talk about a flash from the past! I remember my sister and I traveling about 30 minutes from South Ozone Park to Eastern Mills. My parents would do all their shopping from food to footware. It's been 40+ years but I can still smell the pasteries. I will ask my sister and see if she has any pictures. She use to work at a store call Korvets. Does that jar any memories!
Sure E.J Korvettes we used to shop there when we were kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 PM
fwz

1 posts, read 3,017 times
Default Great Eastern Mills

I grew up in Floral Park in the 60's went to St Vincent de Paul in Elmont it opened in 1962 when I was in 2nd grade. As kids we used to steal 45's from the record dept at GEM. I also remember Cousin Brucie was there for the opening of GEM and was handing out cardboard 45 records of his one (almost) hit wonder. I remember the Charlotte Rouses I believe they came in pink or white? As young boys we used to steal Playboy magazines from the corner candy store on Hempstead Tpk and Westgate. We were not nice kids. I visited my parents this week (my annual LI visit) and drove by these places on my way to Home Depot. I have lived in the Washington DC surburbs since 1977.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,979 times
I grew up in elmont 1941 - 1954, Belmont Blvd school & Sewanhaka, Walcliff was two blocks away from my home on Jacob Street, Learn to drive on Rothkamps farm on a 1931 Buick cut down to a pick up truck, Built 3 Baseball fields on thier farm, PBC, Police Boy,s Club. Learn to swim at WalCliff and then became a rescue swimmer in the Navy, Hello any one ot there??

Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorhu2 View Post
I grew up in elmont 1941 - 1954, Belmont Blvd school & Sewanhaka, Walcliff was two blocks away from my home on Jacob Street, Learn to drive on Rothkamps farm on a 1931 Buick cut down to a pick up truck, Built 3 Baseball fields on thier farm, PBC, Police Boy,s Club. Learn to swim at WalCliff and then became a rescue swimmer in the Navy, Hello any one ot there??
Walcliff now there's a place I haven't heard of in years. My mom used to go skating there as a kid.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:21 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Was it Great Eastern Mills that sold groceries, put your purchases in bags, and then into a plastic bin on a conveyor belt that went to the rear of the store where you could load directly to your car?
That was Modell's.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,936 times
Well, this former GEM guy, just got around to thinking about the place and came across this message board. I worked, throughout my college days at the one in Jersey City. To those who lived there, it was on "The Back Highway.' To everyone else, it was on Route 440. I was the inventory guy of the Drug Dept.

I worked nights on Tues, Thurs, and either 10-6 or 1:30-9:30 on Sat (Closed on Sunday in those days . . .). I would go through the aisles and check off what we needed, i.e. 4 bottles of aspirin, 5 packs of Band-aids, etc. and register 6-9:30 when I was doing 'late' shift.

Like the rivalry between Macy's & Gimbel's there was Great Eastern vs Two Guys! Ironically, my spouse, we were just dating then, worked at that 'other' place. We were always comparing the two spots then as well as now when we talk about the good ole' days! :-)

Old 02-28-2013, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,922 times
Default elmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Walcliff now there's a place I haven't heard of in years. My mom used to go skating there as a kid.
wow i grew up in elmont born in 63, i used to skate at walcliff and work there handing out skates and used to hang out under the pool at night. lived on stone street, remember great eastern mills, lous hot dog truck on corner of stone street and hempstead trpk. at sunoco station. went to clara h carlson and was able to go home for lunch, imagine that. went to alva t and sewanhaka.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 PM

11 posts, read 46,668 times
Don't have a pic but remember it well. Went with parents there many times. I remember the great Italian Ices, the huge Tropical Fish section.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:06 PM

4 posts, read 14,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwz View Post
I grew up in Floral Park in the 60's went to St Vincent de Paul in Elmont it opened in 1962 when I was in 2nd grade. As kids we used to steal 45's from the record dept at GEM. I also remember Cousin Brucie was there for the opening of GEM and was handing out cardboard 45 records of his one (almost) hit wonder. I remember the Charlotte Rouses I believe they came in pink or white? As young boys we used to steal Playboy magazines from the corner candy store on Hempstead Tpk and Westgate. We were not nice kids. I visited my parents this week (my annual LI visit) and drove by these places on my way to Home Depot. I have lived in the Washington DC surburbs since 1977.
Where there any "nice kids" from Elmont? We where all a hop skip and a jump from the Queens line. Most of our parents came from the inner city. Do I need say more? And besides, all of those bad boyz and gals grew up to be successful people with families of their own. Minus one or two that ended up in jail or died. I happen to be from Elmont and in my mid fifties. Still alive and well and living in Elmont till this day! I went on this forum to find out when Great Eastern Mills closed down. Does anyone know which year that was?

Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 14,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
We lived on Franklin Street at the dead end. Our backyard was the cemetery. Very spooky. The rink was down the block. My sister would go skating with her friends every Friday night. I was the eldest and had to stay home to watch my baby sister while my Mom was a barmaid at the Old Wooden Cavern.. I sure was jealous to miss out on all the fun. Later learned that a lot of kids where sneaking in booze and putting it in their soda cups and a lot of funny cigarettes passed around too. Cant say for sure since I didn't have a chance to go. I believe the rink was closed for good in 81 or 82. Does anyone know for sure.? I know that Condos where built and that is what stands there now. Also, they tore down the swimming pool too. What a shame. The pool and the rink kept kids out of trouble. I know a lot of graffiti artists where born after they tore everything down. What else was there to do in Elmont as kids? Too young to bet on the ponies at the track!!hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island