Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 08:06 PM

15 posts, read 16,056 times

Advertisements

Although technically Queens, I was hoping perhaps someone over the border in Nassau can help with my conundrum.

I am considering moving to North Shore Towers, but hesitate due to the commute. I work in midtown and am concerned the commute might be 2+ hours one way. I understand there are express buses that run directly from the Towers to midtown. But, the bus schedule times the trip as 75 minutes which is probably longer with traffic, weather, etc. The bus ride also does not seem that "express" going local along Union Turnpike to Queens Blvd. before finally hitting the LIE by Queens Center. With all the traffic lights and bus stops, that must be a loooooooooong stretch. And, I must still walk 10-15 minutes once in Manhattan from the bus stop.

The alternative would be to take the LIRR. But, I doubt I could park in the Great Neck or Floral Park (Nassau) lots as I am not a resident in either town. Walking to/from the bus that runs along Lakeville Road seems hazardous especially in the winter. The sidewalk is poorly lit and I wonder if it would even be shoveled.

I appreciate any insights anyone may have about this. Looks like a great complex, but commuting over four hours a day is too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 05:47 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
I left L.I when we retired over 6 years ago. However, I can tell you that the majority of the homeowners (back then), were more in my age group than a younger demographic. It is a nightmarish commute, as we knew a couple who wanted to be closer to the kids on L.I., but as theater goers and NYC aficionados, close to the city. They initially thought they would beat the NYC parking fares and live there. However, the commute to NYC was awful in off peak times and they wound up driving and paying. Beautiful building, nice amenities, and expensive back then, but they did like the building. FWIW, they moved.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:20 AM

252 posts, read 456,167 times
Quickest commute from North Shore Towers to Midtown: 1) Uber from North Shore Towers on Grand Central Parkway to Kew Gardens Union Turnpike subway station, 2) E train to Midtown.

The first leg involves just one traffic light, located at the Kew Gardens Union Turnpike subway station. The trip is 7 miles and will take 15 to 25 minutes during rush hour. The subway ride takes 25 to 30 minutes between Key Gardens Union Turnpike and the Midtown stops. The E train runs every 3 to 5 minutes during rush hour.

Floral Park station has parking meters non-residents can use.
http://web.mta.info/lirr/images/stat...floralpark.pdf

Old 07-30-2019, 11:37 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,081,883 times
Uber to the subway certainly would not be an inexpensive option. I haven't used Uber but this example is a close approximation of going to the Kew Gardens subway station from NST:

Quote:
For a 5-mile, 10-minute trip going 25 miles per hour the entire way, uberX would cost the $2.55 base fare plus $3.50 for the 10 minutes plus $10.75 for the mileage, for a total of $16.80. You can now add a tip on Uber if you choose.
https://www.investopedia.com/article...-york-city.asp

That would be about $34 a day round trip to the subway, maybe more for rush hour.

Using the Uber.com price estimator, it's even more, $29 one way!

https://www.uber.com/us/en/ride/uberx/

Old 07-30-2019, 11:54 AM

102 posts, read 133,565 times
Default Non express bus options - NST

Trying to get to the subway from NST will be tedious. If you get on at Kew Gardens in rush hour, the trains will likely be full. So count on standing all the way in. There is a bus (Q46 that starts in front of LIJ Hospital) that would take you into the subway but you will be dealing with a local bus making numerous stops. Unless you can reconcile yourself with the long commute on the bus (in exchange for getting on at your doorstep), your options will be difficult.

Old 07-30-2019, 04:13 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,081,883 times
There's an express bus that goes to Midtown from Glen Oaks if you can get to 260th street and Union Turnpike.

http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm001cur.pdf

Old 08-04-2019, 09:14 AM

276 posts, read 231,117 times
hello-

I commuted via the glen oaks line for several years into midtown. from one of those stops along 73rd before you get to Union. I've also commuted via the subway and the LIRR. so I have some perspective.

Time wise- the bus is probably your worst option. like you said- traffic, accidents, weather. The ride home on a friday afternoon down queens blvd before a holiday wknd is a disaster.

Convenience wise- going to work- it's your best option. You're rolling out of bed and hopping on a bus right outside your door. Route starts at NST so it will pick you up on time and you'll always get a seat. Express bus is clean, quiet, comfortable. the ac/heat work great. it's twice the price of a normal city bus so it's all commuters. Also check the schedule- I believe there is a super express that may get you on the LIE right away from NST, just not sure how often it runs.

Going home is a different story. I used to walk to 6th ave where the route starts to make sure I always had a seat. If you work by the 54th street bridge for example, and you're one of the last stops in manhattan, you're probably not going to be happy standing in the isle on a crowded bus after working all day.

It's all give and take. Driving to the LIRR station in Manhasset is an option. Driving or taking a bus to the E/F subway is another option. I parked in Forest Hills many days and took the subway.

Good luck! you may want to try the commute for a week before you commit to NST.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:50 AM

19 posts, read 19,373 times
If you are willing to drive outside the neighborhood, you can find plenty of legal street parking on the north side of the douglaston lirr station. That line does not pass through Jamaica, so it tends to avoid a lot of the signal and track problems that cause delays to the other lines that run on the main tracks. Generally takes less than 25 minutes to get to Penn station from douglaston.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:18 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Flo View Post
Trying to get to the subway from NST will be tedious. If you get on at Kew Gardens in rush hour, the trains will likely be full. So count on standing all the way in. There is a bus (Q46 that starts in front of LIJ Hospital) that would take you into the subway but you will be dealing with a local bus making numerous stops. Unless you can reconcile yourself with the long commute on the bus (in exchange for getting on at your doorstep), your options will be difficult.
The 46 limited is an hour from Union Tpke E train to LIJ. I've done it a few times. Any bus commute in the winter will be rough. I've always been fascinated with the complex myself. Pretty much self-contained community.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-04-2019, 02:02 PM

276 posts, read 231,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anicon View Post

If you work by the 54th street bridge for example, and you're one of the last stops in manhattan, you're probably not going to be happy standing in the isle on a crowded bus after working all day.
i meant 59th Street. as in the song
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island