Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 01:54 PM

730 posts, read 1,647,742 times

Advertisements

We receive our mail between 5:30P.M. and 6:30 P.M. every day.

I called the post office and they said the carriers leave the Post Office by 9:00 every morning.

Does it really take 8.5 - 9.5 hours to deliver the mail?

And no, his name is not Newman....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 02:09 PM

9,922 posts, read 23,053,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
We receive our mail between 5:30P.M. and 6:30 P.M. every day.

I called the post office and they said the carriers leave the Post Office by 9:00 every morning.

Does it really take 8.5 - 9.5 hours to deliver the mail?

And no, his name is not Newman....

I don't know if this is true of all Post Offices on Long Island, but in my area, there have been consolidations of some routes. Was told that when I asked a new letter carrier why there was a change in delivery - from late morning to after 5pm delivery.

Now we have yet another letter carrier, and he usually delivers between 1-3pm. I don't know if they can create their own routes or if they have to follow "orders".

Old 10-26-2013, 02:17 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,025,527 times
I have exactly the same issue with my mailman. The previous mailmen always delivered by 3 p.m., but my current mailman usually delivers 5 or later. I think in his case he socializes on the route as I have seen him go into people's houses as well as stopping to chat. That's fine but if it means I get my mail after business hours, his socializing interferes with me getting mail on a timely basis. It's aggravating to get a bill with an error and be unable to call about it because the mailman delivered the mail on a Friday afternoon at 6 p.m.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:24 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,213,731 times
Christ, you people will complain about ANYTHING.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:41 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,025,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Christ, you people will complain about ANYTHING.
And some people are predictable in complaining about a topic rather than ignoring it if they have nothing to contribute.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:08 PM

886 posts, read 2,638,254 times
The post office by us eliminated one route carrier and one counter person. The carriers are getting OT totaling about 15 hrs a week and the remaining counter people are averaging 2 to 3 a day combined. Yes....the US Govt doing it's best at saving money.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:09 PM

22,623 posts, read 36,578,101 times
My sister used to get her mail that late, and finally she found out that her carrier was just sitting around in the truck all day because he wasn't supposed to get back "too early". Then he'd deliver the mail around 5 p.m. One complaint to the postmaster fixed the problem (and no she didn't give her address, she just said which street she lived on).

Old 10-26-2013, 03:29 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,699,804 times
You can eliminate this problem by getting a PO Box. I have one at my local post office and it's great. I've had it for the entire time I've lived out here. My mail is in the box no later than 11am. If I don't feel like picking up my mail on a particular day, I know it's safe.

I usually pick up my mail twice a week, sometimes only once, sometimes not until the following week. I don't see a reason for any more than that. If there's an error on a bill, big deal. I'll call when I can call and take care of it; it's not something so urgent that I would have to call immediately. If there is anything that is absolutely urgent or an emergency, it's not going to be in the mail: that's what telephones, faxes, and emails are for.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:29 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,713,244 times
I used to get my mail as early as 10/11am, now it's creeping towards 2pm-- sometimes even 3pm.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:33 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,046,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
You can eliminate this problem by getting a PO Box. I have one at my local post office and it's great. I've had it for the entire time I've lived out here. My mail is in the box no later than 11am. If I don't feel like picking up my mail on a particular day, I know it's safe.

I usually pick up my mail twice a week, sometimes only once, sometimes not until the following week. I don't see a reason for any more than that. If there's an error on a bill, big deal. I'll call when I can call and take care of it; it's not something so urgent that I would have to call immediately. If there is anything that is absolutely urgent or an emergency, it's not going to be in the mail: that's what telephones, faxes, and emails are for.
If you only pick up your mail once or twice a week, why would you even care what time it arrives? Seems like a waste of money to me in that situation. I think there's got to be a reason you don't want people knowing your address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island