Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 12:53 PM

886 posts, read 2,646,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Paging BigBlue! Please use your new school-issued iPad and take pictures of the teachers' and administrators' parking lots so we can count the luxury cars in them!
Quite a few of them do but then again anyone could have a nice car and a fat lease. The teachers in my building lean more towards fancy houses in Nesconset and San Remo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 05:16 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,499,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Paging BigBlue! Please use your new school-issued iPad and take pictures of the teachers' and administrators' parking lots so we can count the luxury cars in them!

What kind of car do you drive?

You spend alot of time on here bashing middle class workers. Never see you bash Wall Street or the TRILLIONS in taxpayer bailouts and CORPORATE subsidies we give out each year.

You're directing your anger at the wrong persons.

You must get this nonsense from the local Republican Club meetings.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:47 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post

You spend alot of time on here bashing middle class workers. Never see you bash Wall Street or the TRILLIONS in taxpayer bailouts and CORPORATE subsidies we give out each year.

I believe she's the grand wizard of that certain club

Old 11-13-2013, 07:34 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post

Kind of silly. I like to bash bank bailouts AND Kindergarden teacher's making $130k. I can handle two trains of thought at once. Call me evolved. Egregious unsustainable taxpayer fleecing knows no partisanship.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:41 PM

570 posts, read 1,214,655 times
As to teacher's cars - I don't see how this would be reflective of a single teacher's salary. Most teachers are married I would suspect and thus have spouses who earn a salary as well!! Some people spend more on their car than other things. There are many districts where the high school kids have better cars than the teachers! But sure, there are some teachers who have "luxury" cars, just like there are some town employees who have nice cars or cops or any other occupation - you'll find people who spend a lot on their cars.

Saw a notice on our district's website that the pension contribution for '14/'15 is going up a lot for the district. Here's a history:

The TRS employer contribution rate has risen steadily since 2002/03:
• 2002-03 0.36 percent
• 2003-04 2.52 percent
• 2004-05 5.63 percent
• 2005-06 7.97 percent
• 2006-07 8.6 percent
• 2007-08 8.73 percent
• 2008-09 7.63 percent
• 2009-10 6.19 percent
• 2010-11 8.62 percent
• 2011-12 11.11 percent
• 2012-13 11.84 percent
• 2013-14 16.25 percent
• 2014-15 17.25-17.75 percent (estimated)

School districts are not allowed to declare bankruptcy. Taxpayers must cover expenses not covered by other sources.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:25 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Quite a few of them do but then again anyone could have a nice car and a fat lease. The teachers in my building lean more towards fancy houses in Nesconset and San Remo.
San Remo and Nesconset is fancy?

You are correct, most people (75%?) lease a car they can never afford......

Old 11-15-2013, 06:52 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
The way vast majority of teachers who drive luxury cars are able to do so not because they're leasing but because they're in a dual income home. I've known many, many teachers driving fine German automobiles and their incomes were all secondary to their spouses. Someone earning $90k a year as the lone breadwinner in the family is not leasing a Benz.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:12 PM

202 posts, read 265,037 times
People will spend a lot of money on cars. I know a few people who drive luxury cars, and they aren't that well off.

Call me crazy again, but I think having summers off is overrated. Days off during holidays or winter breaks don't really count since most teachers are stuck grading papers. My mother was a private school teacher in NYC years ago so I've seen this first hand. Other than summers off, teachers have zero flexibility in their work schedule with the same 7-3 Mon thru Fri schedule. Right now I've been doing hospital clinical for school and one of the biggest perks for the employees is having more control of their schedule where they often have the choice of working 10 hours/4 days a week, 8 hours/5 days a week, mornings, afternoons, evenings. When I worked in fashion retail I had more job flexibility than my mother because I could request a certain day off and work another day during to make up for it. Personally, I'd rather have more flexibility with my work schedule than summers off. Also, when summer is the only time you have sufficient time off that means you can only take vacation during the summer rather then whenever you want during the year. I much prefer to go to the Caribbean or Florida during January than July, which you can't do when you're a teacher!

Last edited by Coinnle Corra; 11-15-2013 at 12:29 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 01:40 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Oy vey, stop talking about cars. A salary of $100k or more puts someone in the top 5% of earners nationwide. By what standard is making more than 95% of the country not a lot of money?

Not that I begrudge teachers in particular, at least they're performing a more valuable service than cops, and with far less civil rights violations.

It's just not sustainable, even if you think teachers should be earning good salaries. I do think we need to address other issues first and see how it pans out. Consolidation of districts, removing duplicative services and administrative costs in the process, will put a big dent in things. Jericho and Syosset don't need two administrators making half a million. We can easily reduce administration to a town or county-wide operation and cut a lot of pork out of the budget.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:32 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
People will spend a lot of money on cars. I know a few people who drive luxury cars, and they aren't that well off.

Call me crazy again, but I think having summers off is overrated. Days off during holidays or winter breaks don't really count since most teachers are stuck grading papers. My mother was a private school teacher in NYC years ago so I've seen this first hand. Other than summers off, teachers have zero flexibility in their work schedule with the same 7-3 Mon thru Fri schedule. Right now I've been doing hospital clinical for school and one of the biggest perks for the employees is having more control of their schedule where they often have the choice of working 10 hours/4 days a week, 8 hours/5 days a week, mornings, afternoons, evenings. When I worked in fashion retail I had more job flexibility than my mother because I could request a certain day off and work another day during to make up for it. Personally, I'd rather have more flexibility with my work schedule than summers off. Also, when summer is the only time you have sufficient time off that means you can only take vacation during the summer rather then whenever you want during the year. I much prefer to go to the Caribbean or Florida during January than July, which you can't do when you're a teacher!
I know teachers very well..married to one.

This supposed scheduling issues does not stop most of my wife's coworkers from taking days off around holiday weekends to start their vacations early or end them later. It's technically a no-no, but many of them do it on a regular basis and face no consequences. It does make travel more expensive because most of your vaca is at peak times, but that doesn't stop teachers from finding fun things to do during the summer months they're off while corporate schlub is trecking into work every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island