Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 04:40 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
$98,000 a year is a lot of money?

Where do you work mcdonalds?
when that figure is a shade under the median family income of nassau ($107k) / suffolk ($96k), yes. That is a lot of money for 1 person. And this is just the avg. among teachers.

Most single earners over 6-figures probably do it NYC style, and not off our taxes.

And yes, I know you're not serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 04:57 PM

886 posts, read 2,647,354 times
[quote=I_Love_LI_but;32076910]Search his posts for the truth. He has posted that he's a $70,000 a year public school custodian (aka janitor) complete with union perks, benefits and taxpayer-provided pension. Ever hear of someone getting paid that a year who self-admits they mop floors, empty trashcans and occasionally clean up vomit for a living? Only in Long Island's school districts where the taxpayers are bled freely! = quote]

Wow. Your life is that exciting you're searching past posts of a school custodian. I'm honored. That $70k is an old salary and quite below what I earn now especially since the school administrators decided to cut one of my nightmen which in turn is getting me and my other two guys 12-15 hrs a week each in OT. Add that to the every other Saturday I work and it just keeps adding up to a nice FAS for my retirement.
Oh Lovie....you can add that my wife is a teacher also to your BigBalls53 rant. Bye Bye.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Wow. Your life is that exciting you're searching past posts of a school custodian. I'm honored. That $70k is an old salary and quite below what I earn now especially since the school administrators decided to cut one of my nightmen which in turn is getting me and my other two guys 12-15 hrs a week each in OT. Add that to the every other Saturday I work and it just keeps adding up to a nice FAS for my retirement.
Oh Lovie....you can add that my wife is a teacher also to your BigBalls53 rant. Bye Bye.
Thank you very much!! Just stick the KNIFE IN and TWIST IT!!

Old 11-03-2013, 05:08 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
when that figure is a shade under the median family income of nassau ($107k) / suffolk ($96k), yes. That is a lot of money for 1 part-time person. And this is just the avg. among teachers.

Most single earners over 6-figures probably do it NYC style, and not off our taxes.

And yes, I know you're not serious.
Fixed that for you.

They don't even have a full-year job for crying out loud!

PS: I think you're trying to reason with another one who cannot be reasoned with ... another wildly overcompensated gravy train rider on the taxpayer's expense ... a LI cop.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:30 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,017 times
1- I don't mean I am wanting to become a teacher, at least now,
2-I am all for paying teachers 65k-75k, but 98k in Lawrence!,
3-That said, the average Floriduh teacher makes 47k, not nearly enough. You know Nyers complain about taxes, but you don't know how good you have it. NY has such good services, like a top notch education system, not to mention great hospitals, and the pay is SO much better in NY.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:42 PM

475 posts, read 852,983 times
Unless it was your dream to be a teacher then why would you want to become one? If it is only for the money and not the passion you would most likely fail at it. Besides I hate kids, I wouldn't teach those little bastards if it paid 300,000 a year...

Old 11-03-2013, 05:55 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
But then people on LICD would despise you. Whatever would you do then?

Old 11-03-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
1- I don't mean I am wanting to become a teacher, at least now,
2-I am all for paying teachers 65k-75k, but 98k in Lawrence!,
3-That said, the average Floriduh teacher makes 47k, not nearly enough. You know Nyers complain about taxes, but you don't know how good you have it. NY has such good services, like a top notch education system, not to mention great hospitals, and the pay is SO much better in NY.
My brother has a house in Florida with 3 bedrooms 2baths a garage and a swimming pool. HIs mortgage is 500 a month, I'm not kidding ya. That's why Florida salaries are lower

Old 11-03-2013, 06:23 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
My brother has a house in Florida with 3 bedrooms 2baths a garage and a swimming pool. HIs mortgage is 500 a month, I'm not kidding ya. That's why Florida salaries are lower
Same with my sister. So true. 48k a year is not bad for FL.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:07 PM

In my opinion why people move out of New York is because you have to make a huge annual income just to get by. I hear all the time how New York teachers make tons of money but the reality of New York is you have to make that. Numbers always look great on paper but if you pay 20 grand a year in taxes, 5 dollars a gallon for gas, 14 dollars for a pack of cigarettes, 2 hour commutes or more into the city for work, seasonal expenses such as clothing, tires for snow, heat, oil, a/c, groceries, and god only knows what else, how much do you think 106,000 dollars a year is? My wife and I bring in about 100k and when compared to New York's cost of ,living, we would have to make 200k a year to enjoy the same quality of life we have in the south. The sensible thing to do is simply not to live in New York. It's a great place to visit, I grew up there, but I do not wish to live there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island