Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:05 AM

147 posts, read 433,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
Nope... it's just drinking, women at the firehouse, and an occasional parade and block party.
I am asking because I am not a professionally trained fireman. I do believe that the non-volunteers are paid fireman with professional training. Why would they send a corporate fellow like me into dangerous situations? I was hoping I can utilize my other skills to help in other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
Yes that's correct on the property taxes (bad wording on my part). My understanding of becoming an active volunteer means you must compete some training courses to qualify as active. There aren't that many burning buildings to rush into these days (unless S really HTF).

When not responding to emergencies (which is most of the time) I'd imagine they'd be aligning your contributions to your core competencies:

An MBA might help w/ the budget (which may in fact be the same as running into a burning building)

A Mechanic might help maintain the equipment

One with a Management background might suggest a slightly different way of doing the exact same thing and take full credit for it.

That sounds good but are all volunteers required to be on call 24hrs a day? I am a computer nerd myself and was hoping I can volunteer with doing IT stuff for the department such as website maintenance or other computer related work.

So in times of responding to emergencies, we all have to be there, computer nerds or not?

Old 11-05-2013, 08:24 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyziggy View Post
That sounds good but are all volunteers required to be on call 24hrs a day? I am a computer nerd myself and was hoping I can volunteer with doing IT stuff for the department such as website maintenance or other computer related work.

So in times of responding to emergencies, we all have to be there, computer nerds or not?
Why not go straight to the source?

Stop by a firehouse in one (or all) of the areas you're interested in and get answers to your questions from the people why actually know "real" answers?

Who knows, you might accidentally meet your future neighbor(s)

Old 11-05-2013, 08:38 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Quote:

The FD doesn't really have much IT work. Most departments have 1-2 paid guys who answer the phones and sometimes drive the trucks, with the rest being vollies. In addition to training requirements, you're given a pager that goes off for all calls. You have to show up for a minimum number of calls per month, regardless of time or availability.

Most guys in the department are pretty into it. The FD becomes their social group, and they show up for more than the minimum because they like what they do. The guys I know who volunteer used to be the types that had police scanners as kids and listened to the calls, sometimes showing up at the fires even though they weren't in the department yet. It's not really something you can just do the bare minimum for a tax deduction.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
The FD doesn't really have much IT work. Most departments have 1-2 paid guys who answer the phones and sometimes drive the trucks, with the rest being vollies. In addition to training requirements, you're given a pager that goes off for all calls. You have to show up for a minimum number of calls per month, regardless of time or availability.

Most guys in the department are pretty into it. The FD becomes their social group, and they show up for more than the minimum because they like what they do. The guys I know who volunteer used to be the types that had police scanners as kids and listened to the calls, sometimes showing up at the fires even though they weren't in the department yet. It's not really something you can just do the bare minimum for a tax deduction.
If I do it, it won't just be for the tax deduction because its a lot of work to save $1500 a year but if I could help out the community with my skills, I would. They do have a website, and frankly it sucks . If I could help and meet some neighbors in the process, great! If I am required to rush into a burning building with minimal training, then it is not for me. Shouldn't work like this be for people with formal training like firemen in the FDNY? How does taking a few classes allow you to save lives in emergencies?

Old 11-05-2013, 09:02 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
You think they just send you into burning buildings with no training? You have to go to school for it. And they drill constantly.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:11 AM

31 posts, read 50,996 times
Quote:
If I do it, it won't just be for the tax deduction because its a lot of work to save $1500 a year but if I could help out the community with my skills, I would. They do have a website, and frankly it sucks . If I could help and meet some neighbors in the process, great! If I am required to rush into a burning building with minimal training, then it is not for me. Shouldn't work like this be for people with formal training like firemen in the FDNY? How does taking a few classes allow you to save lives in emergencies?
If you know how to drink, eat and fart, you're an old pro already.

No one on LI cares about websites. The only site they can navigate to is this one.

Save even more on your tax bill by buying somewhere else.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:44 AM

157 posts, read 285,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
If you are considering Plainview, check out Old Bethpage. They share the school district, but Old Bethpage has a more suburban feel than Plainview.

Jericho will command top dollar for the reasons you stated. New construction will equal HIGH property taxes. I'd avoid new construction personally.
+1 on Old Bethpage. If you have young kids, recent test results show Old Bethpage School outperforms most highly touted Syosset ones. Plus Old Bethpage has lots of parks and camping which is a huge plus.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:23 AM

218 posts, read 268,049 times
Please. Please. Please google grunman. They have polluted the entire groundwater out there.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:58 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post

While we're on this subject, can you tell me why the local firehouses still need the ear-piercing sirens throughout the day if they have pagers? Someone said in case a responder is in the shower, but it's not like you can hear it beyond a mile. And if it's for the firehouse and surrounding area, why so obnoxiously loud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfitg View Post
Please. Please. Please google grunman. They have polluted the entire groundwater out there.
Out there where exactly? Jericho/Syosset/Plainview are north and the plume is going south from Bethpage. That said though, I stay away from drinking faucet water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island