Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
Professional jobs.

Lure small businesses with offices in Manhattan to Nassau with incentives and subsidies for each employee who is Nassau county resident. Encourage them with money to hire new grads from Long Island colleges.

There are plenty of people who grew up on Long Island and would like to work here rather than commute to the city. Create a work lifestyle that plays to this - half day Fridays in summer or flex time.
Cuomo had proposed creating zones around colleges which would have tax incentives in order to incubate new start ups. Couple this with internships or positions for new graduates and -- maybe -- we will reverse some brain drain and entice the young to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
We don't need any more creative cafes. They are all over the place, thank you . College grads with STEM degrees don't want to work in a creative cafe. We need a replacement or replacements for Grunman. Jersey has the pharmaceutical stuff to keep them going so not everyone has to commute to Manhattan.

We do actually have a Long Island Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and they've been trying to get their act together for years to get a real building.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:45 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Nobody cares about the LI music hall of fame. We need major attractions to lure people here.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,985 times
The grim reality that is a gift and a curse for Long Island is it's location, location, location. It's great if you have a city job and need a place to live (sort of). It's great if you have money already and want to escape. For Living and anything related to quality of life it's got good and bad points. For industry and business not job creation but for career creation it's terrible. The only business you can call a career that will always be around is healthcare, lawyers accountants. Any form of retail or non-healthcare/law/accountant is a job unless you are the owner.

The reason why Long Island can't flourish industries (tech, financial, manufacturing, shipping etc) goes back to where we are geographically.

Land on LI is a premium vs other places;
You are not going to find anyone building a massive data center (google, facebook, apple, verizon, att, comcast)etc. on LI. We are losing sports teams and even teams calling them self NY something play in NJ.

LI is hard to get to on all levels;
NYC will always be our bottleneck for anything going and coming to and from LI. We have a congested 495 for commercial vehicles that have to pass though Queens always. We have a congested Northern and Southern State pkwy for non-commercial that ends up in Queens for going and coming. No container ships dock on LI. No inter-modal trains (container carriers) can get to anywhere on LI (b/c of the third rail). As a result of this any industry that heavily rely on any form of major shipping transportation will look elsewhere.

Lack of attraction on all levels;
There is not enough on LI that will compel young people to either want to stay or even move here for that matter. Other places close by are more appealing (NYC). B/c we are virtually next door the young and talented would rather live in or very close to city centers. Young people would rather work late (career) and get home in minutes vs hours. This is one reason why tech start ups aren't happening on LI. Young professionals want to be around other young professionals.

Mining and agriculture;
Not on the level where there would be a demand for freight train service or container ship docks built.

Last on the list is that we are surrounded by water on all sides. We are an island. The potential for Sandy like storms has been a fear long before Sandy hit. They would say LI is over due for it's 100 year or some number year storm. Not to mention that our power lines are above ground as well.

Generally speaking these are just some of the things that I've noticed hampering Business and Industry creation on Long Island vs other places. I'm chiefly speaking Industries and businesses that create careers not just jobs like cashiers or holiday fillers.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:29 AM

295 posts, read 345,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
The grim reality that is a gift and a curse for Long Island is it's location, location, location. It's great if you have a city job and need a place to live (sort of). It's great if you have money already and want to escape. For Living and anything related to quality of life it's got good and bad points. For industry and business not job creation but for career creation it's terrible. The only business you can call a career that will always be around is healthcare, lawyers accountants. Any form of retail or non-healthcare/law/accountant is a job unless you are the owner.

The reason why Long Island can't flourish industries (tech, financial, manufacturing, shipping etc) goes back to where we are geographically.

You are not going to find anyone building a massive data center (google, facebook, apple, verizon, att, comcast)etc. on LI. We are losing sports teams and even teams calling them self NY something play in NJ.

NYC will always be our bottleneck for anything going and coming to and from LI. We have a congested 495 for commercial vehicles that have to pass though Queens always. We have a congested Northern and Southern State pkwy for non-commercial that ends up in Queens for going and coming. No container ships dock on LI. No inter-modal trains (container carriers) can get to anywhere on LI (b/c of the third rail). As a result of this any industry that heavily rely on any form of major shipping transportation will look elsewhere.

Lack of attraction on all levels;
There is not enough on LI that will compel young people to either want to stay or even move here for that matter. Other places close by are more appealing (NYC). B/c we are virtually next door the young and talented would rather live in or very close to city centers. Young people would rather work late (career) and get home in minutes vs hours. This is one reason why tech start ups aren't happening on LI. Young professionals want to be around other young professionals.

Mining and agriculture;
Not on the level where there would be a demand for freight train service or container ship docks built.

Last on the list is that we are surrounded by water on all sides. We are an island. The potential for Sandy like storms has been a fear long before Sandy hit. They would say LI is over due for it's 100 year or some number year storm. Not to mention that our power lines are above ground as well.

Generally speaking these are just some of the things that I've noticed hampering Business and Industry creation on Long Island vs other places. I'm chiefly speaking Industries and businesses that create careers not just jobs like cashiers or holiday fillers.
Nice post. This really sums it up. There is a reason why the first European settlement was in southern Manhattan and not on the Island from Brooklyn to Montauk.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:32 AM

703 posts, read 1,174,069 times
I agree that manufacturing and freight are problems for LI.

however, Not every young person wants to live in a city. What Long Island has going for it is proximity to the city, non-driving transportation to the city, as well as room for outdoor pursuits. We have a lot of parks, beaches, etc. if it had good jobs, then some young people would stay here.

Also a bridge to CT would really improve QOL. I thought that was why the William Floyd parkway was built.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
I agree that manufacturing and freight are problems for LI.

however, Not every young person wants to live in a city. What Long Island has going for it is proximity to the city, non-driving transportation to the city, as well as room for outdoor pursuits. We have a lot of parks, beaches, etc. if it had good jobs, then some young people would stay here.

Also a bridge to CT would really improve QOL. I thought that was why the William Floyd parkway was built.
True, but I know because I'm one of the young ones that decided to come back and enjoy it. But there is no way I would be enjoying it (subjective to one's own interest and wants) if I did not work in NYC. I would not be able to afford it here.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NassauGuy12 View Post
True, but I know because I'm one of the young ones that decided to come back and enjoy it. But there is no way I would be enjoying it (subjective to one's own interest and wants) if I did not work in NYC. I would not be able to afford it here.
Agreed. I would not be able to do this either but I did notice there are some on LI who stay because they inherited a house and obviously just need to pay the property taxes. It's very rare that I encounter couples my age who have moved to LI who do not work in Manhattan. Unless, do I dare say it, they are local teachers or officers.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 AM

703 posts, read 1,174,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NassauGuy12 View Post
I lived on Long Island during my 20s and moved to NYC for my early and mid 30s and moved back in my late 30s.

NYC is not cheap either. A lot of people in their 20s are living in a 1 br apartment with temporary walls with 2 other people.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:54 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
I have already posted this in the NJ forums - the rezoning of midtown east (along with the WTC redevelopment) is going to be a real threat to the surrounding suburbs as it will make it harder to compete for corporate tenants given the new supply of office space into the market. Those who for years did not have the sense of urgency and did not take their local officials to task for failing to lure big businesses only have themselves to blame for letting this happen.

I for one have already given up on creating job centers in the suburbs and am resigned to accept their role as bedroom communities to NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post

That is where infrastructure development comes to place - to overcome natural disadvantages. There are examples of successful island economies and self-contained economic zones around the world and they all did it through infrastructure. If one does not develop the infrastructure then there will alsways be a disadvantage. In reality LI has many advantages that are not being fully exploited.

There's a reason why the north shore is doing relatively well economically.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 11-07-2013 at 09:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island