Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 12:30 AM

18 posts, read 29,799 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I've been reading the threads about folks in the Town of Oyster Bay converting from oil to gas & how long it takes to get a gas line run from National Grid & getting a plumber etc. I didn't wanna hi-jack any of those threads so if anyone can help me with any info I'd really appreciate it.

I just bought a house in the Town of Oyster Bay & I'm waiting on a closing date till it's official, but there's no gas in the house I'm buying.

I called National Grid & they say there is a gas line in the street in front of the house. They can't do any work until I close on the house.

Can I put the paperwork in now, get a licensed plumber and all or do I have to wait till I close. I hear the wait is pretty long to get the gas line installed.

All I'm lookin for is a gas line to the house & then a hookup for the stove & dryer.

Any plumbers licensed in the TOB message me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 06:50 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Not a plumber but from a "good sense" standpoint your idea makes no sense. How can you submit plans to the town to do work on a home that you don't yet own? It would be bounced. That aside let's just say all of a sudden something happened and the owners backed out of the sale or there was damage to the home and now you are in a tussle with the owners over price vs. fixing the problem. You should never do anything in a home until it is yours.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:15 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Not a plumber but from a "good sense" standpoint your idea makes no sense. How can you submit plans to the town to do work on a home that you don't yet own? It would be bounced. That aside let's just say all of a sudden something happened and the owners backed out of the sale or there was damage to the home and now you are in a tussle with the owners over price vs. fixing the problem. You should never do anything in a home until it is yours.

Agree, OP by your terminology you seem to be confused. You said "I bought a house and I'm waiting to close" - you didn't buy a house. You are under contract, and have no right to do ANYTHING to it until you close.

If you want to ask the seller if they'd mind having the gas line run before they move, you may do that. it sounds like this is going to be done for free by National Grid. But don't be surprised if the answer is no - because if you can't get financing for the house, or their other deal falls through, or a hundred other reasons why closings don't happen, they will be faced with a gas line and a mess they don't really want. Trust me when I tell you, when you are getting ready to move, packing, cleaning, purging, and so on - you do not want to deal with construction on top of all that.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:59 AM

69 posts, read 210,811 times
Concurred with the previous comments.

What you can do now is get the information/referral for the plumbers that you'd ask for quotes for the conversion. And call them to arrange appointments for quotes right after the closing completes. If you have the list of plumbers ready and you are free for a day or two, you may be able to get a few quotes in 2-3 days. When a plumber comes for a quote, it may take about 40-60 minutes- he'd look at where you plan to set up the gas line and write you a proposal. You may also ask any question you may have. So it's possible get three quotes in a day. And you may also each plumber how long it takes for the conversion to get the idea how long it currently takes. Once you make a decision for which plumber to go with, the process starts then.

In addition, do you want to do only stove and dryer without heating? The heating part seems the biggest one in typical gas conversion/setup.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:58 PM

18 posts, read 29,799 times
Thank you for your replies... & you're right I don't own the house yet, still waiting to close. I was just wondering how to speed up the process cause I heard it takes National Grid a long time before they can actually do the work. Hopefully closing will be soon & then I'll put in the paper work & wait it out like everyone else. In the meantime I will check out some plumbers to call for quotes.

I'm just thinking gas for the stove & dryer right now. The oil burner in the house is about 10 years old so I never thought about converting to gas heat. Is that old for an oil burner? Gonna be a lil slim in my wallet after closing so I'm goin for the cheapest route.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:54 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
If you're only converting for appliances now there should not be any big rush, unless the current appliances don't work at all or are on their last leg.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:43 AM

69 posts, read 210,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingobah View Post
Thank you for your replies... & you're right I don't own the house yet, still waiting to close. I was just wondering how to speed up the process cause I heard it takes National Grid a long time before they can actually do the work. Hopefully closing will be soon & then I'll put in the paper work & wait it out like everyone else. In the meantime I will check out some plumbers to call for quotes.

I'm just thinking gas for the stove & dryer right now. The oil burner in the house is about 10 years old so I never thought about converting to gas heat. Is that old for an oil burner? Gonna be a lil slim in my wallet after closing so I'm goin for the cheapest route.
If my understanding is correct, a typical oil burner should last 20~25 years if run properly. You may check out the oil burner model and google it for more info. If you plan to use gas for stove and dryer only, it may not be that time-sensitive, relatively to using gas for heat just before winter comes.

Using oil or gas for heat, it may be partially a personal choice. At this time, the operational cost with gas seems cheaper. However. it is not guaranteed gas will be always be cheaper than oil. And you also need factor in the cost for gas conversion. At the time of our conversion, it's estimated the saving in operational cost would compensate the conversion cost in 5~7 years. But this is a rough linear estimate. How long it actually takes depends on the prices of oil and gas. But if you plan to live at your house longer than 7 years, it's most "likely" will save you some $$$ with gas as it is NOW. Regardless, you'd need to do some homework for pros and cons either way and make a proper decision that fits your circumstances.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:58 PM

172 posts, read 718,698 times
i dont understand why NG dont lower the price of running the line and dominate the market? i got the quote for 13K to convert and a 10year payment plan. 13k not including the equipment or contractor to do the work. if it was half that price i would do it in a heart beat. i have spoken to a couple of neighbors and they seem like they are scared of gas in the house for some reason. i just dont get that fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island