Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 10:15 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times

Advertisements

If it wasnt for the unions and the caving in of the school boards, teaching would be what it really is...a job for those who cant function in tge business world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 10:35 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I think most folks also know the average salary of Long Island teachers (before state, federal and property taxes) and the average medical coverage teachers now receive with this salary and the average pension received by retired teachers. That's why, except for a few folks here on Long Island, there is not much of an uproar about teacher hours, pay, medical benefits, and pensions.
Regardless of your cute attempts at sarcastic misdirection, most of us (including the local PTA scrambling to raise money for activities because the district had to cut them to meet raise and pension obligations) know the your use of "average" as an adjective is laughable. Could easily and more accurately be replaced with "exceptional" salary, medical, pension and hours. Why is that so hard to accept?! Is it really so necessary to be overly defensive about having a cushy gig?

Old 11-10-2013, 11:32 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter
I think most folks also know the average salary of Long Island teachers (before state, federal and property taxes) and the average medical coverage teachers now receive with this salary and the average pension received by retired teachers. That's why, except for a few folks here on Long Island, there is not much of an uproar about teacher hours, pay, medical benefits, and pensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Regardless of your cute attempts at sarcastic misdirection, most of us (including the local PTA scrambling to raise money for activities because the district had to cut them to meet raise and pension obligations) know the your use of "average" as an adjective is laughable. Could easily and more accurately be replaced with "exceptional" salary, medical, pension and hours. Why is that so hard to accept?! Is it really so necessary to be overly defensive about having a cushy gig?
The phrase is 'the average' as in a mathematical average as opposed to your confused interpretation of the term as 'average' (as an opposite of 'exceptional'). And, to compound your confusion, I am not a teacher nor is my wife - nor are you. Glad to help.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:38 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd1976 View Post
ENOUGH…
Of people complaining about what teachers make!!!!
Until you are married to a teacher, you will NEVER understand.
When a teacher goes home from BABYSITTING your child for 8 hours, their work is NOT done. They're grading papers, planning for the rest of the week, planning for observations, researching their next lesson(s), preparing for their next lesson(s)… The list goes on.

Then, they are encouraged to attend post grad courses to keep up with the newest / latest techniques and technologies, etc.

It's a lot tougher than you think. They just don't go home and sit on their asses and do nothing. THEY EARN their paycheck. How many of you out there go home from work and watch TV and relax? Certainly not a teacher!

My wife, who is a special ed teacher is underpaid for what hours she puts in AT HOME!! Plus she has to nurse our four month old and take care if a 3 year old (which of course I help out with)

So lets attack this from a different angle:

School administrators. How many do we actually need? Superintendents, Assistant Superintendents, Assistants to the Superintendents, their secretaries, their school sponsored personal vehicles and various other unreported perks… What are their salaries? Why are there absolutely NO THREADS about this?

Check out this link:
Top 10 Highest Paid Superintendents in Nassau County - Schools - Plainview, NY Patch

Does anyone know, that outside of NY, many school districts SHARE a superintendent? For the entire county! Think of how our taxes on LI would/should decrease (theoretically)?

So until people fully realize what a teacher does, this argument will go on and on.

Our taxes are out of control because of excess in the upper levels of districts as well as the district's inability to rein in their spending (much like the government).

Let's quit putting the blame on the people who work beyond their office hours for your high, out of control taxes.

If you continued to work at home, wouldn't YOU think you deserve fair compensation?
You should tell her to quit and get a job in the private sector where she can make much more money for less work. She can make $300K on Wall Street with giant bonuses like the rest of us do and not have to worry about being dissed on CD. What is she waiting for? Why be a teacher?

Old 11-10-2013, 01:33 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Keep in mind till about 8-10 years ago, most districts were still on half day kindergarten. Back then my kids' kindy teachers were making 6 figures for four hours a day, which included plenty of playtime and a "rest period". I think they had to go full day to ensure full-on riots wouldn't ensue.
If that teacher was earning a full salary, he or she was probably teaching a PM class as well as their AM class. If not then they were only earning a half salary.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter

The phrase is 'the average' as in a mathematical average as opposed to your confused interpretation of the term as 'average' (as an opposite of 'exceptional'). And, to compound your confusion, I am not a teacher nor is my wife - nor are you. Glad to help.
Yes, and we know "the average" (hint, hint, wink, wink) is between $90 and $100k. Pretty exceptional pay at more than double the state average with bennies and hours to boot, but that's all been said enough. In my district over 500 (out of 600) employees make over $100k, The only ones making less are clerical, facilities (well, some custodians make over $100k), TA's, food service, a few very new teachers and a few librarians. And while "nor am I" a teacher, I do work closely to the field and know very well of what I speak, which of course you NEVER seem to refute. Some day it would be miraculous if we have a private sector company on Long Island with 600 employees where 500+ make $100k for 182 days per year and lifetime, taxpayer paid benefits. When that happens, maybe there will be slightly less resentment. Or, if like I said earlier, some teachers and their proxy mouthpieces on here showed a little humility, gratitude and contrition for the great great gig they have.

Last edited by mongoose65; 11-11-2013 at 06:34 AM..

Old 11-11-2013, 06:50 AM

487 posts, read 544,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Keep in mind till about 8-10 years ago, most districts were still on half day kindergarten. Back then my kids' kindy teachers were making 6 figures for four hours a day, which included plenty of playtime and a "rest period". I think they had to go full day to ensure full-on riots wouldn't ensue.
The kindergarten teachers in my district had another class in the afternoon so they had a full day's schedule. If teachers had a half day schedule their salaries and benefits were pro-rated.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:39 AM

[quote=mongoose65;32180277]Yes, and we know "the average" (hint, hint, wink, wink) is between $90 and $100k. Pretty exceptional pay at more than double the state average with bennies and hours to boot, but that's all been said enough. In my district over 500 (out of 600) employees make over $100k, The only ones making less are clerical, facilities (well, some custodians make over $100k), TA's, food service, a few very new teachers and a few librarians. And while "nor am I" a teacher, I do work closely to the field and know very well of what I speak, which of course you NEVER seem to refute. Some day it would be miraculous if we have a private sector company on Long Island with 600 employees where 500+ make $100k for 182 days per year and lifetime, taxpayer paid benefits. When that happens, maybe there will be slightly less resentment. Or, if like I said earlier, some teachers and their proxy mouthpieces on here showed a little humility, gratitude and contrition for the great great gig they have.[/quote]
Are you saying teachers have a great gig? You are saying that, I think. (Except for the offputting and mysterious "hint, hint wink winks".) Are you saying you want to hear teachers say that? Maybe you could say it out loud or something if that satisfies you since I don't think you are going to hear teachers say that.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 11-11-2013 at 07:59 AM..

Old 11-11-2013, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by twingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
If that teacher was earning a full salary, he or she was probably teaching a PM class as well as their AM class. If not then they were only earning a half salary.
Well, we just saw the birth and quick death of a city-data teaching myth.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Are you saying teachers have a great gig? You are saying that, I think. (Except for the offputting and mysterious "hint, hint wink winks".) Are you saying you want to hear teachers say that? Maybe you could say it out loud or something if that satisfies you since I don't think you are going to hear teachers say that.
Yes
Yes
Why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island