Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:08 PM

332 posts, read 613,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well you could also wonder how many of those teachers would have gone into the profession if they didn't get the salary and benefits at the current levels. You won't get an answer to your question for quite a while, they aren't hiring and we all know why.

I know quite a few teachers, none of them went in to it for the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 07:24 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd1976 View Post
ENOUGH…
Of people complaining about what teachers make!!!!
Until you are married to a teacher, you will NEVER understand.
When a teacher goes home from BABYSITTING your child for 8 hours, their work is NOT done. They're grading papers, planning for the rest of the week, planning for observations, researching their next lesson(s), preparing for their next lesson(s)… The list goes on.

Then, they are encouraged to attend post grad courses to keep up with the newest / latest techniques and technologies, etc.

It's a lot tougher than you think. They just don't go home and sit on their asses and do nothing. THEY EARN their paycheck. How many of you out there go home from work and watch TV and relax? Certainly not a teacher!

My wife, who is a special ed teacher is underpaid for what hours she puts in AT HOME!! Plus she has to nurse our four month old and take care if a 3 year old (which of course I help out with)

So lets attack this from a different angle:

School administrators. How many do we actually need? Superintendents, Assistant Superintendents, Assistants to the Superintendents, their secretaries, their school sponsored personal vehicles and various other unreported perks… What are their salaries? Why are there absolutely NO THREADS about this?

Check out this link:
Top 10 Highest Paid Superintendents in Nassau County - Schools - Plainview, NY Patch

Does anyone know, that outside of NY, many school districts SHARE a superintendent? For the entire county! Think of how our taxes on LI would/should decrease (theoretically)?

So until people fully realize what a teacher does, this argument will go on and on.

Our taxes are out of control because of excess in the upper levels of districts as well as the district's inability to rein in their spending (much like the government).

Let's quit putting the blame on the people who work beyond their office hours for your high, out of control taxes.

If you continued to work at home, wouldn't YOU think you deserve fair compensation?

So you have a low income job and your wife has to work full time. Maybe you should get a better job let your wife stay home and stop complaining.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:31 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
I know quite a few teachers, none of them went in to it for the money.
This is so irrelevant. They didn't get into it for the money...well they 'aint getting out of it for the money either. If you want to play the hypothetical card, let's announce a pay cut and see how fast the retirements roll in. It will be a stampede out the door.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:37 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
This is so irrelevant. They didn't get into it for the money...well they 'aint getting out of it for the money either. If you want to play the hypothetical card, let's announce a pay cut and see how fast the retirements roll in. It will be a stampede out the door.
What? If you announce a pay cut there would be an exodus in any field not just teachers.. I don't see the logic...

Old 11-13-2013, 07:56 AM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Maybe I live in an alternate version of reality, but most of the people I know gladly accept 12-month, 4-weeks-vacation-per-year, 10-hour-a-day-plus-commute (oh, and please leave us your cell phone number so we can reach you at home always) job for $70 or $80K plus good benefits and would feel pretty darned good about themselves for landing that kind of gig.

I know lawyers making $90K after 5-7 years in the field who gladly put in 70 hour weeks, year-round, for that money. Your wife's sad she has to grade papers at home while nursing your kid? Would she like to meet the new moms I know who would be overjoyed to be able to work from home so they could nurse their kids, but can't because of their hours? Would she like to chat with every.single.person. I know who only gets, max, around 20 days of vacation a year, meaning they work approximately 156 MORE* days per year than your lovely wife (and that's assuming your wife takes absolutely no sick or personal days, which is doubtful considering you have two young kids)?

Teachers are great. Some of my favorite people are teachers. Good teachers DO work hard (when they work). But to propose, with a straight face, that $90K+ is a reasonable salary for working at least 156 LESS days per year than every other worker in every other sector is just insane.

*Assuming 52 Saturdays and 52 Sundays in a year (and a traditional M-F work schedule), there are 261 working days in a year. Subtract another 20 for four weeks vacation (I'm including holidays here), and you have 241 working days for the average worker, compared with 185 for teachers (assuming there are zero snow days and the teacher takes no personal or sick leave during the year). 241-185=156.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
What? If you announce a pay cut there would be an exodus in any field not just teachers.. I don't see the logic...
Really? What other "fields" would offer immediate retirement into full 6 figure pensions rather than face a pay cut? Most would need to seek alternate employment or ride it out. It was a hypothetical, much like the posts it responded to: "no one got into teaching for the money," "no one else could handle it" etc. Blah blah blah.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Maybe I live in an alternate version of reality, but most of the people I know gladly accept 12-month, 4-weeks-vacation-per-year, 10-hour-a-day-plus-commute (oh, and please leave us your cell phone number so we can reach you at home always) job for $70 or $80K plus good benefits and would feel pretty darned good about themselves for landing that kind of gig.

I know lawyers making $90K after 5-7 years in the field who gladly put in 70 hour weeks, year-round, for that money. Your wife's sad she has to grade papers at home while nursing your kid? Would she like to meet the new moms I know who would be overjoyed to be able to work from home so they could nurse their kids, but can't because of their hours? Would she like to chat with every.single.person. I know who only gets, max, around 20 days of vacation a year, meaning they work approximately 156 MORE* days per year than your lovely wife (and that's assuming your wife takes absolutely no sick or personal days, which is doubtful considering you have two young kids)?

Teachers are great. Some of my favorite people are teachers. Good teachers DO work hard (when they work). But to propose, with a straight face, that $90K+ is a reasonable salary for working at least 156 LESS days per year than every other worker in every other sector is just insane.

*Assuming 52 Saturdays and 52 Sundays in a year (and a traditional M-F work schedule), there are 261 working days in a year. Subtract another 20 for four weeks vacation (I'm including holidays here), and you have 241 working days for the average worker, compared with 185 for teachers (assuming there are zero snow days and the teacher takes no personal or sick leave during the year). 241-185=156.
I agree with your post except for the math. Spank that math teacher. 241-185=56. Not 156. Still, not too shabby a gig.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:42 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Quote:

Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,864 times
Quote:

Oooooooofa

Old 11-13-2013, 09:29 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:

excellent post.....can't rep you anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island