U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 04:28 AM

3 posts, read 7,047 times

Advertisements

ENOUGH…
Of people complaining about what teachers make!!!!
Until you are married to a teacher, you will NEVER understand.
When a teacher goes home from BABYSITTING your child for 8 hours, their work is NOT done. They're grading papers, planning for the rest of the week, planning for observations, researching their next lesson(s), preparing for their next lesson(s)… The list goes on.

Then, they are encouraged to attend post grad courses to keep up with the newest / latest techniques and technologies, etc.

It's a lot tougher than you think. They just don't go home and sit on their asses and do nothing. THEY EARN their paycheck. How many of you out there go home from work and watch TV and relax? Certainly not a teacher!

My wife, who is a special ed teacher is underpaid for what hours she puts in AT HOME!! Plus she has to nurse our four month old and take care if a 3 year old (which of course I help out with)

So lets attack this from a different angle:

School administrators. How many do we actually need? Superintendents, Assistant Superintendents, Assistants to the Superintendents, their secretaries, their school sponsored personal vehicles and various other unreported perks… What are their salaries? Why are there absolutely NO THREADS about this?

Check out this link:
Top 10 Highest Paid Superintendents in Nassau County - Schools - Plainview, NY Patch

Does anyone know, that outside of NY, many school districts SHARE a superintendent? For the entire county! Think of how our taxes on LI would/should decrease (theoretically)?

So until people fully realize what a teacher does, this argument will go on and on.

Our taxes are out of control because of excess in the upper levels of districts as well as the district's inability to rein in their spending (much like the government).

Let's quit putting the blame on the people who work beyond their office hours for your high, out of control taxes.

If you continued to work at home, wouldn't YOU think you deserve fair compensation?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 04:51 AM

886 posts, read 2,462,450 times
Relax mjd.....I am also married to one and know what teachers do and the hours many put in aside from the school day but don't come on here and expect much positive feedback as this is the only place people can vent. And vent they will...

Old 11-10-2013, 05:46 AM

3 posts, read 7,047 times
That's why I'm here, to vent MY side of the story. Not looking to start a war on here (because its immature and unnecessary) but please don't tell me to relax. That's my venting. People don't realize what teachers do and I'm enlightening them. People simply see their school taxes rising and the teachers are the first to get a bad rap.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:12 AM

11,368 posts, read 14,311,580 times
Putting teachers salaries in perspective.

In the late '70's I taught for a few years, then moved and could not get a teaching job when I came back. Is teaching easy? No, and I also comment it is most likely harder now than back then. Two things however, I think need to be framed into in this argument.

No other profession has the time off that teachers do. That summer vacation, along with days here and there need to be considered in the discussion of salary. It is in the ballpark of 76 days off per year. Back in the day you were given the OPTION of the 9 month or 12 month payment plan. If you had problems budgeting your money since teaching was a 9 month job you had the option of going the 12 month plan. The important point is that when you are talking about teacher salaries today that fact seems lost. When you say you make x per year in other professions that includes a full year with maybe a 5 week vacation after 10 or 20 years. Teachers also have the opportunity to grab a job during the summer, if they so choose, to make additional money.

So you need to factor that in. Additionally, I have several teachers in the family and they all admit that while there are many that are indeed dedicated, hard working individuals who make a difference in the future of their students' lives, there are also a large percentage who do the minimum they have to do. I do believe the tide is turning a bit in that regard due to teacher competency, however.

Now at the risk of upsetting a particular group of teachers. I taught Bio in High School. How is it that PE teacher who marks no papers, tests, etc. gets the same pay? This upset me back then and as far as I know, has not changed.

Once again, teaching is a very difficult job and my hat is off to anyone who is a teacher. You have my thanks.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:25 AM

3,445 posts, read 5,577,966 times
Yeah...tough being a teacher...those months of July and August must be killers

Old 11-10-2013, 06:38 AM

13,463 posts, read 12,598,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd1976 View Post
ENOUGH…
Of people complaining about what teachers make!!!!
Until you are married to a teacher, you will NEVER understand.
When a teacher goes home from BABYSITTING your child for 8 hours, their work is NOT done. They're grading papers, planning for the rest of the week, planning for observations, researching their next lesson(s), preparing for their next lesson(s)… The list goes on.

Then, they are encouraged to attend post grad courses to keep up with the newest / latest techniques and technologies, etc.

It's a lot tougher than you think. They just don't go home and sit on their asses and do nothing. THEY EARN their paycheck. How many of you out there go home from work and watch TV and relax? Certainly not a teacher!

My wife, who is a special ed teacher is underpaid for what hours she puts in AT HOME!! Plus she has to nurse our four month old and take care if a 3 year old (which of course I help out with)

So lets attack this from a different angle:

School administrators. How many do we actually need? Superintendents, Assistant Superintendents, Assistants to the Superintendents, their secretaries, their school sponsored personal vehicles and various other unreported perks… What are their salaries? Why are there absolutely NO THREADS about this?

Check out this link:
Top 10 Highest Paid Superintendents in Nassau County - Schools - Plainview, NY Patch

Does anyone know, that outside of NY, many school districts SHARE a superintendent? For the entire county! Think of how our taxes on LI would/should decrease (theoretically)?

So until people fully realize what a teacher does, this argument will go on and on.

Our taxes are out of control because of excess in the upper levels of districts as well as the district's inability to rein in their spending (much like the government).

Let's quit putting the blame on the people who work beyond their office hours for your high, out of control taxes.

If you continued to work at home, wouldn't YOU think you deserve fair compensation?
You need to relax, as you are going to find from responses teachers are not the only career with take home work and off hours preparations. People for the most part choose their career if you don't like the expectations of that career pick another, and please don't tell me how much she love it and the children.
Her family obligations at home are no different than any 2 career household except she has summers off, snow days (if schools closed) and holidays that afford her more time off than other careers and at a compensation scale (including benefits) that potential exceeds many other career choices.

I would agree the administration in most districts is too large and too over paid but thats Long Island. There have been plenty of venting on the subject and I am sure there will be more. I live and work where we have county wide school districts and they work fine but you'll never see it. No one will ever agree to even merge 2 school districts and especially not the whole county.

It sounds like you don't care for your wifes career, thats fine. But if she chooses to continue in it accept what it involves, how it's compensated, offer to do the dishes once in a while and accept that a lot of posters on here feel teacher salaries are out of control.

I work in education in a none teaching role.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:47 AM

21,145 posts, read 31,802,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
please don't tell me how much she love it and the children.
Especially when she refers to it as BABYSITTING for 8 hours a day. When I babysat, I was basically sitting around doing nothing and making sure the kids didn't kill themselves. Since she's got all that free time 8 hours a day, maybe she should take some of that and do her lesson planning etc etc.

Good thing she only has to do this horrendous job with the kids 180 days a year. Yes, we know there are actually 185 work days in a year. Oh, the horror.

Your first sentence is basically ordering people to stop posting about teachers. Not gonna happen, not on this forum. When their salaries and bennies are paid by a tsunami-like rise in property taxes, people here have EVERY RIGHT to complain. And they will.

Like teachers and other civil servants like to tell others on this forum, we're sorry she's jealous of the private sector. It sounds like she chose the wrong career. Not our fault.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:49 AM

/\

Interesting, but this is the spouse not the teacher who appears to be the poster. Perhaps he is bothered that he has to assist at home??

Old 11-10-2013, 06:50 AM

21,145 posts, read 31,802,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

Interesting, but this is the spouse not the teacher who appears to be the poster. Perhaps he is bothered that he has to assist at home??
Tired of the whining, no doubt.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Tired of the whining, no doubt.
Roflmao...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island