Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 11:11 AM

188 posts, read 358,100 times

Advertisements

My Grandmother had a store on Long Beach Rd next to Dunkin Donuts in the late 70's called Rose's Variety Shop. It was only there about a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,309 times
I had Mr. Williams for gym at Boardman. Everyone called him "the Noodle". Had a crew cut when we were all long haired in the mid 70s. Played on his Jr. High basketball team. We called it noodle ball. The other gym teacher was a rotund fellow named Mr. Valenti. I also had Mrs. Cohen and Mrs. Garfield in sixth grade. I think I remember a small school store in Boardman where we could buy candy or Linden's chocolate chip cookies for the bus ride home. Parents would take us for dinner at the Sizzler Steakhouse.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:09 AM

15 posts, read 83,698 times
I attended 9E and 9J '63-'70. Had Mr. Jan (Coach Januszewski) and Mr. Plaia for gym. Also had Mr. Jan for my 3 years of gym at OHS! I also had Mrs. Garfield for 6th grade, Mrs. Murray for 5th grade, Ms. Lamkay for 4th grade and Ms. Resnick for 3rd grade. Mr. Lanning and Mr. Codispodo for music, Mr. Jonas for wood shop and Mr. Cooper for metal shop. On rainy days we'd go to the auditorium during lunch and listen to the Beatles on an old record player! Those were the good old days!

Old 05-25-2017, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,165 times
Default Good Ol Oceanside

I do not see that anybody mentioned Joe Terzo's, Ho King or the toy store that is now the carpet store. OJC had the woods and the run down shacks next to the parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachhouse3 View Post
Starting from the South
Do you remember when they built TSS at Daily Blvd and Long Beach Road(Kohls). They had a pizzia store inside the lobby and across from it was a hot dog stand.
Across Long Beach Road was the dumps, which they put up that 6 foot fence to hide it.
There was an Arby's at Long Beach and Mott St. (East Bay Diner)
C&J Bowl at Weidner and Long Beach Rd (Burger King)
Nathan's had the entire property where that whole shopping center is now. They had the rides outside. Wednesday Nights Pro Fottball players would come by.
Capri Pizzia "You ring we bring" VW's with the Chef Hats. (LB and Anchor)
Cummings Bar and Grill (Block Buster)
Pergaments (new bank)
Good Humor
There was an Esso Gas Station at Long Beach and Atlantic (1-800-Flowers)
McDonalds was red and white tile with just enough room to get in the door.
Lincoln Shopping Center: Ho-King, Gianni's, Food Fair, Woolworths, the lotto store with the same tired guy behind the counter.
John's Bargain Store was located at Long Beach and Smith Street
Smiles was where Vanellas Funeral Home is
Harts Pharmacy was across the street
Chawatsky's (Walgreens)
Pissetti's
Bohacks where Cedarhurst Paper is.
Messler's Hardware- the guy knew where every screw was.
Vic's Log Cabin
Faces (Long Beach and Homecrest)
Big Apple Supermarket (the old Foodtown)
Farmer Joels
Little Oil Company (later it became Tobacco Town)
Al's Mobil Gas on the corner
Kodak Photos (across from Towers)
Oceanside Laundry (where you had to drive in a long driveway around the parking lot.
Tell me what I missed? I also remember a Fly A Gas Station up on Foxhurst by Westlake.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,059 times
My grandfather was Judge John Daly. I remember being told Daly Blvd. was named after him. Not sure if it is true but the legend stands. I have vivid memories of my grandfather and playing with Sinnicksons at a family run funeral home in Santa Moriches, NY. I moved from New York more than 45 years ago but still count it as my hometown.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:07 AM

694 posts, read 1,203,139 times
Latest Oceanside updates:
1. Mitchell's diner is coming back, albeit, in a smaller setting. They are going to be on Long Beach Road between Lincoln and Academy Street, I believe. It's a two-story building, and they are on the first floor. Did not open yet.
2. Joe's Crab Shack that closed in the Sands Mall will soon be an Old Navy store.
3. There is a rumor that we are getting a movie theater where Waldbaum's used to be.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,874 times
Does anybody remember the "page two" night club in oceanside? 1958.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:58 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
Mr Williams, crew cut and all, was my first gym teacher at School 4...he was replaced by Mr Mackey, drove a Torino.

What sucked about School 4 was that we got split up after 5th grade with half of us attending School 1 for 6th grade before moving to Merle for junior high and the other half going to Boardman....Merle was literally gang infested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justicepeyton View Post
I had Mr. Williams for gym at Boardman. Everyone called him "the Noodle". Had a crew cut when we were all long haired in the mid 70s. Played on his Jr. High basketball team. We called it noodle ball. The other gym teacher was a rotund fellow named Mr. Valenti. I also had Mrs. Cohen and Mrs. Garfield in sixth grade. I think I remember a small school store in Boardman where we could buy candy or Linden's chocolate chip cookies for the bus ride home. Parents would take us for dinner at the Sizzler Steakhouse.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,692 times
Any pix of Daps luncheonette on .l.b.r across from the log cabin. In the 50s it was A&B luncheonette. Any would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-26-2019, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,692 times
Would just love any pix of Daps luncheonette in the 60s and 70s on LBR across from the Log Cabin, in the 50-60s it was A &B luncheonette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island