Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 12:38 PM

65 posts, read 70,868 times

Advertisements

Anyway, just to answer some of your questions, this removal company has been well known for some time. And that some of you may have also seen the commercial on TV and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 12:53 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisdan1 View Post
Anyway, just to answer some of your questions, this removal company has been well known for some time. And that some of you may have also seen the commercial on TV and all.

Like many other companies, it's a franchise. In my business I've come to know some of the franchisees and those have all be proven to be honest/reputable. Can't vouch for all, obviously.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:10 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,081 times
I used them and two nice young guys came with a very clean truck. They did a good job but it was very expensive, something like $350 for half a truck as I recall. After that, we started breaking up our trash into smaller pieces, bagging much of it and putting it out with the regular garbage. Our sanitation men did yeoman work, removing large piles during our twice-a-week collections for several weeks. On the day we sold the house, they came by to take the last load and it was a perfect time for me to give each of them a nice, fat tip. They earned it.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:08 AM

65 posts, read 70,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I used them and two nice young guys came with a very clean truck. They did a good job but it was very expensive, something like $350 for half a truck as I recall. After that, we started breaking up our trash into smaller pieces, bagging much of it and putting it out with the regular garbage. Our sanitation men did yeoman work, removing large piles during our twice-a-week collections for several weeks. On the day we sold the house, they came by to take the last load and it was a perfect time for me to give each of them a nice, fat tip. They earned it.
Yes breaking the furniture into smaller pieces is another option. Hmm, how much furniture did it take to fill up half a truck? Thanks!

Old 11-17-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Yes breaking the furniture into smaller pieces is another option. Hmm, how much furniture did it take to fill up half a truck? Thanks!
The truck looked something like a small dump truck and was smaller than I expected. I don't remember the cubic footage, but it wasn't much space for the money. If you have the energy and a good carting service, public or private, take my advice and break it up yourself. You'll save money and it's good exercise.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:26 PM

341 posts, read 1,535,143 times
When i renovated my kitchen, I had a bunch of broken pieces (cabinets, countertops, sheetrock etc) from the demo piled in the backyard on a tarp. Cost me about 400 to have these guys come and pick it up and haul it, along with a bunch of other odds and ends from the garage. Much cheaper and easier than a dumpster in the driveway. THey were nice guys, quick and did a good job.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
When i renovated my kitchen, I had a bunch of broken pieces (cabinets, countertops, sheetrock etc) from the demo piled in the backyard on a tarp. Cost me about 400 to have these guys come and pick it up and haul it, along with a bunch of other odds and ends from the garage. Much cheaper and easier than a dumpster in the driveway. THey were nice guys, quick and did a good job.
For the volume they offer, these guys are more expensive than a dumpster. I recently had a dumpster at my home for an entire kitchen and master bath demo and the cost was $395. I don't recall the cubic yardage, but the dumpster was about a car and a half long.

What these franchise companies offer is convenience . . . for a price. If you don't have the desire or physical conditioning to move the junk yourself, then they're great. But if you need to save money and can use the exercise, the most economical way is still to break up the stuff and leave it for your regular sanitation guys.

Also, don't forget charitable organizations. If you have good stuff that can be used by others, donate it rather than throw it out. I recently called Habitat for Humanity about a good working refrigerator that I have and they said, "When can we pick it up?"

By comparison, 1800GotJunk promised to send me receipts for anything of my goods that were donated by them. That was months ago and I have heard nothing . . . and I don't expect to.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:54 PM

764 posts, read 1,552,851 times
I used them to get rid of a couch. they came got the couch from inside and brought it to their truck and even swept where the couch was. I would use them again.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,706,735 times
I live in the Town of Oyster Bay (TOB) and the trash haulers will haul away almost anything; over the years - a large couch, king mattress, refrigerator (no doors), a huge desk, etc.

When I did some remodeling they would take 10 cans full of debris per trash day (technically up to 40 lbs per can, but most of the cans weighed 10-20 lbs more), aside from usual household trash, which is unlimited.

I don't like the property taxes I pay, but IMO TOB provides A-1 service.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:59 PM

43 posts, read 51,380 times
Quote:
Hi,

Anyone here had experience with 800 got junk?

I'm trying to get some ideas on how much it would cost to use 800 got junk services.

As I'm told it's $119 per 50 cubic feet.

For instance, a couch, recliner and computer desk.

How much does that sound to you based on your experiences?

I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
o I do not have any experience with 1800 junk. I have extensive experience with a wife who collects junk. Not a nice sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island