Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:29 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,553 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows the law states you cannot be on your phone, text, etc...while driving. BUT, the law states you can do these things while you are waiting at a red light. Has anyone noticed that more and more people are not going when the light turns green because they are doing these things, and then you have to honk at them to get them to pay attention to the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Huge pet peeve of mine.

Only if I could play civilian cop, I could cut our taxes in half with the collected fine monies.

Cops should just drive around in undercover cars, they would make a fortune.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:09 AM

4 posts, read 5,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Everyone knows the law states you cannot be on your phone, text, etc...while driving. BUT, the law states you can do these things while you are waiting at a red light. Has anyone noticed that more and more people are not going when the light turns green because they are doing these things, and then you have to honk at them to get them to pay attention to the road?
I don't believe it is legal to be texting or talking anytime when operating a motor vehicle unless it's 100% hands free. Would be interested where this loophole in the law is written.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:16 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,553 times
Google "Texting at red light New York" and you will see its legal.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:16 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
You are allowed to tend to your mobile device while stopped at a red light. That was announced at the same time they announced the newer, stiffer penalties.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 AM

4 posts, read 5,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
You are allowed to tend to your mobile device while stopped at a red light. That was announced at the same time they announced the newer, stiffer penalties.
Speechless. Who comes up with this stuff? What political party(s) benefitted from leaving that loophole in?

Old 11-18-2013, 08:07 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
It's a plague, basically. Obnoxious as hell, but almost every other light I stop at, someone is not paying attention, and causes multiple people behind them to miss getting through the light. You catch someone on the wrong day and do this and you might have some trouble.

And then there's the snot nosed 20 year old chick who gives you the finger when you have the nerve to honk her for not paying attention.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:12 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

And then there's the snot nosed 20 year old chick who gives you the finger when you have the nerve to honk her for not paying attention.
80% of these will do the same to you at age 40.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:41 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,297 times
There's so little enforcement of any traffic infractions that it's pointless to rant about it. We should be ranting instead about the extraordinarily high salaries and benefits of Long Island cops who are virtually invisible on the highways. Even they don't obey the traffic laws, so why should we expect them to go after other violators?

I have a better one than the cell phone episodes. Last week, I was taking a cab downtown to Penn Station. I couldn't understand why the driver was standing still when each light turned green. Usually, they act like they're at the starting line of the Indy 500 when the light is about to turn. So, at one point, I looked in his rear-view mirror and saw that he was dozing off at each light. "I'll get out here," I said as I decided to walk an extra few blocks.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:34 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,300 times
they just passed a law in new york where commercial drivers cannot talk or text at a light. i dont see why regula drivers are exempt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: