U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-29-2013, 10:12 PM
 
83 posts, read 157,658 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

So my house hunt continues and the most important thing for me is to be walking distance from an LIRR station that has frequent trains. I've been concentrating a lot on Mineola and Floral Park, but haven't found anything good near the train there yet. However, I have noticed that there are some really nice homes within walking distance of the Gibson train station and the taxes are pretty low.

I see a bunch of nice houses listed as being in Valley Stream district 24. I have some questions:

A. Is district 24 good or bad?
B. Is the area safe?

I did a look up on neighborhood scout and the safety score was like 69 out of 100 (as opposed to 98 out of 100 for Floral Park) and the education score was like 77 out of 100. Should I consider this area or stay away?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2013, 11:20 PM
 
10,741 posts, read 11,203,279 times
Reputation: 13722
It's middle class. Some of Gibson feeds into SD 14 (Hewlett) and some to 24. The kids who go to 24 would go to Horton Ave. School. SD 24 is only a K-6 district. Then they would go to Valley Stream South HS for 7-12. IMO, the district is as good, if not better than Mineola. If you have kids, you might want to take a look at Barrett Park. There's a playground and they run a camp program in the summer. Floral Park is also a K-6 district and probably gets higher ratings than either SD 24 or Mineola. Not sure how Floral Park would compare with SD 14 Hewlett Schools. A lot more rich kids would be in SD 14.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 05:38 AM
 
236 posts, read 446,478 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekinchief View Post
I did a look up on neighborhood scout and the safety score was like 69 out of 100 (as opposed to 98 out of 100 for Floral Park) and the education score was like 77 out of 100. Should I consider this area or stay away?
Not sure what that safety score is based on, but whatever it is, it's bogus. Gibson is as "safe" as any other small middle-class community. Very neighborly, young kids playing, hundreds of people walking to and from the train station every day with no issue, and so on.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 31,815,213 times
Reputation: 7313
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekinchief View Post
So my house hunt continues and the most important thing for me is to be walking distance from an LIRR station that has frequent trains. I've been concentrating a lot on Mineola and Floral Park, but haven't found anything good near the train there yet. However, I have noticed that there are some really nice homes within walking distance of the Gibson train station and the taxes are pretty low.

I see a bunch of nice houses listed as being in Valley Stream district 24. I have some questions:

A. Is district 24 good or bad?
B. Is the area safe?

I did a look up on neighborhood scout and the safety score was like 69 out of 100 (as opposed to 98 out of 100 for Floral Park) and the education score was like 77 out of 100. Should I consider this area or stay away?
I live in District 24 in the Village of Valley Stream walking distance of the main train station in Valley Stream (Valley Stream is big so there are three stations serving the area: the main station Valley Stream and two smaller stations, Gibson and Westwood). It is safe and I feel fine walking from the train station any time of day or night. The main station has the most trains because it is served by two lines: Long Beach and Far Rockaway. Westwood has the least trains and it is on a line that is not open on the weekends. District 24 is well thought of in Valley Stream. The area is very nice with a skate park, a new dog park, outdoor concert shell with free summer concerts, a community pool, tennis courts, mini golf, other parks, the library, the Village Green, etc. Being walking distance from the train does not have any of the problems that has developed in Hicksville and some other places on LI due to the Village being very picky (restricted parking, no flophouses and illegal aliens running around, etc.).

I think Gibson is a very nice little section. It is served by either District 24 or Hewlett SD 14. Hewlett 14 is one of the better ranking SDs on LI. Your taxes will be higher if you are in that district, but it's very good so to many it's worth it. Being walking distance from the train in Gibson does not have any of the problems that has developed in Hicksville and some other places on LI. The Gibson station is served by the Far Rockaway line only so look that up on the LIRR website and see if that's enough trains for you. Also many homes in Gibson were taken off the FEMA flood maps due to Hurricane Sandy proving that they do not need to be there because they didn't flood in Sandy. So a win for many of the residents as in no flood insurance.

The section of VS served by the Westwood station is also nice and there are many houses that are walking distance, however the train service is limited, as I mentioned above. It is served by VS SD 13 which is especially sought after by Malverne residents. People who are looking for houses in Malverne prefer not to send their kids to Malverne 12 SD, they would rather send their kids to catholic school. But if they find a house in Malverne zoned to Valley Stream 13 SD, they will use the public schools. Being walking distance from the train in Westwood does not have any of the problems that has developed in Hicksville and some other places on LI.

Since you want walking distance to the train, I will weigh in on some other nearby communities' train station areas:

Lynbrook: Around that train station it is very commercial and the houses are close together and sometimes right on top of businesses. Merrick Road seems to be the cutoff for the good school district serving the immediate train station area (south of Merrick is Lynbrook 20) versus the mediocre one serving the immediate train station area (north of Merrick is Malverne 12). Although the area around the train station is not full of social problems like Hicksville, I would not recommend it for Lynbrook. I think the Village taxes on top of the other taxes are too high for what you get, especially if you get stuck in the Malverne school district.

Rockville Centre: Even more commercial than Lynbrook in that most homes that are a short walking distance to the train are right on top of businesses. The SD is very good. However, again like Lynbrook, the Village taxes on top of the other taxes make this a highly taxed place. They do have their own electricity, so no LIPA, so the residents save on that. Also, the area around the train station does not have illegal alien, etc., problems.

Cedarhurst and any of the Five Towns besides Hewlett: Do not even bother with anything in the Lawrence SD if you are going to look in these areas if you are planning to use public schools. The orthodox jewish are the majority on the school board and they ruined the schools pretty much with draconian budget cuts on the public school kids and then use the school budget for things like busing the OJ kids to far off private jewish schools in Brooklyn and beyond. Or they empty some of the schools and overcrowd others and then sell the empty schools to jewish private educational institutes for sweetheart deals for their own benefit. Unless you are an OJ, I don't recommend looking at anything in the Lawrence SD. I won't comment on the rail unless you want me to.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 11-30-2013 at 02:38 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 31,815,213 times
Reputation: 7313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It's middle class. Some of Gibson feeds into SD 14 (Hewlett) and some to 24. The kids who go to 24 would go to Horton Ave. School. SD 24 is only a K-6 district. Then they would go to Valley Stream South HS for 7-12. IMO, the district is as good, if not better than Mineola. If you have kids, you might want to take a look at Barrett Park. There's a playground and they run a camp program in the summer. Floral Park is also a K-6 district and probably gets higher ratings than either SD 24 or Mineola. Not sure how Floral Park would compare with SD 14 Hewlett Schools. A lot more rich kids would be in SD 14.
Valley Stream South was ranked in US News & World Report's Best High Schools for 2013:

Valley Stream South High School in VALLEY STREAM, NY | Best High Schools | US News
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
50 posts, read 81,957 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Lynbrook: Around that train station it is very commercial and the houses are close together and sometimes right on top of businesses. Merrick Road seems to be the cutoff for the good school district serving the immediate train station area (south of Merrick is Lynbrook 20) versus the mediocre one serving the immediate train station area (north of Merrick is Malverne 12). Although the area around the train station is not full of social problems like Hicksville, I would not recommend it for Lynbrook. I think the Village taxes on top of the other taxes are too high for what you get, especially if you get stuck in the Malverne school district.
I am not sure where you are getting your information from but Lynbrook north of Merrick is Lynbrook SD 20 up to Whitehall St near the Westwood train station. There are also parts of Lynbrook SD 20 closer to the East Rockaway (on the Long Beach Line) train station. The main station in Lynbrook is on both the Babylon and Long Beach line so there are very frequent trains.

The area around Hempstead Ave in Lynbrook goes to Malverne SD 12.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 31,815,213 times
Reputation: 7313
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymacca View Post
I am not sure where you are getting your information from but Lynbrook north of Merrick is Lynbrook SD 20 up to Whitehall St near the Westwood train station. There are also parts of Lynbrook SD 20 closer to the East Rockaway (on the Long Beach Line) train station. The main station in Lynbrook is on both the Babylon and Long Beach line so there are very frequent trains.

The area around Hempstead Ave in Lynbrook goes to Malverne SD 12.
I know Lynbrook itself is served by several SDs and it is more complicated on the whole.

I am talking only about the area that concentrated between Sunrise Hwy. around Atlantic Avenue and east of it to Merrick Rd., up to Peninsula Blvd. That area is what I consider a decent walkable distance to Lynbrook LIRR Station.

TY for the information on Lynbrook SD near the Westwood Station, but I don't think that station has enough service for the OP.

I didn't even mention East Rockaway and its LIRR station to the OP due to the flooding.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 05:47 PM
 
138 posts, read 358,135 times
Reputation: 96
We are a quick 3 minute walk to the Gibson station. The area is very safe and has lots of young families. We are zoned for SD 14 and are very happy with our school so far. The SD offers free half day pre-k. This is rare on LI.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2013, 07:55 AM
 
Location: South Shore, LI
61 posts, read 142,178 times
Reputation: 43
Great information everyone! Thank you as i am starting to house hunt as well. I am looking in the Lynbrook area and have a lot of questions about the school district and the surrounding SD's (i.e. VS 13, VS 24, East Rockaway). I think i will start a new post though, i do not want to take any focus away from the OP. Thanks again.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2013, 10:36 AM
 
Location: New York City
224 posts, read 639,612 times
Reputation: 220
Gibson is a nice area. Safe. Good access via LIRR.

I would look into flooding though. Not sure if it's a concern.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top