Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you work in Long Island or NYC?
Long Island 7 41.18%
NYC 10 58.82%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Woe is Mits. His 500k in retirement accounts, if true, makes me feel really sorry for him. How much equity do you have on the condo? I do feel bad though as he once mentioned his wife is unemployed by her own volition.
Where do you get the idea that I have $500k in retirement accounts? I actually posted how much I have in another thread, and it's nowhere near 500k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 04:37 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_li_but View Post
renting? Oh noes! Renting is anathema to him for sure. He owns a 2-br apartment out in suffolk county. He is not looking to go back to renting, but rather to move up to a 3-br house to put his 2 future perfect children in. Wifey is 35 though so they better get crackin' on at least filling bedroom #2 of the apartment with 1 of those kids asap ...
rotflmfao!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:34 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Where do you get the idea that I have $500k in retirement accounts? I actually posted how much I have in another thread, and it's nowhere near 500k.
My apologies. 350+? My only advice would be to bite the bullet and sell the condo, make wifey get a job, purchase a reasonable home in your hometown and enjoy the rest of your days. Nobody will feel bad for you as you have had significant advantages that most of us have had to slave for.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
My apologies. 350+?
No, I don't have that much either. Either you are confusing me with someone else or you are very bad at math.

Quote:
My only advice would be to bite the bullet and sell the condo,
What purpose would that serve?

Quote:
make wifey get a job,
How many times do I have to repeat that she is actively searching for a job, but has not been successful.

Quote:
purchase a reasonable home in your hometown and enjoy the rest of your days.
Whatever.

Quote:
Nobody will feel bad for you as you have had significant advantages that most of us have had to slave for.
What significant advantages do I have?

Old 12-10-2013, 12:15 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
From the 401K balance thread:

Quote:
To be honest, there is no one size fits all number, since it depends on personal circumstances. I am 34 (about the same age as the OP) and I have about $155,000 in my 401K, about $65,000 in a rollover IRA (from a previous job's 401K), and about $70,000 in a Roth IRA, plus I have an ESOP (not sure offhand how much I have there). One may think I'm in the 90th percentile for my age, based on posts here. The truth is, I can currently save a lot of money, despite my low income (by LI standards), since my wife and I have no children yet, and we live very inexpensively, and we both lived with our parents until we were married. But once we have kids and a single family house, it will no longer be possible to live as inexpensively as we currently do, so I won't be able to contribute much, if at all, to my 401K. So my balance isn't as high as it might seem.
By my count, that's $290K + an ESOP of indeterminate value. I guess we all have different estimates of "close," but I certainly wouldn't call retirement savings of at least $300K "nowhere near" $350K. Then again, I can find homes that are affordable in Nassau County with decent schools that are a reasonable commuting distance from NYC, while you just can't seem to. Guess it's all relative.

And as for advantages, let me list them:
1. Supportive, loving family.
2. (By your claim) Happy marriage.
3. A Master's from MIT, one of the most widely-recognized, well-respected schools in the country.
4. Your wife has a PhD - a level of education that almost no one attains.
5. A home that you own (I know, I know, it's "not big enough" for you and your hypothetical children, but I know plenty of renters who would be happy to own a home).
6. A job that, by your own admission, offers superior benefits, and enough of a salary that you're able to "currently save a lot of money."

That sounds like a lot of advantages to me, but again, I guess it's all relative.

(And to everyone other than MITs, I promise I'll lay off the MITs vortex now. I just can't take the blatant misrepresentation.)

Old 12-10-2013, 12:48 PM

429 posts, read 853,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post

By my count, that's $290K + an ESOP of indeterminate value. I guess we all have different estimates of "close," but I certainly wouldn't call retirement savings of at least $300K "nowhere near" $350K. Then again, I can find homes that are affordable in Nassau County with decent schools that are a reasonable commuting distance from NYC, while you just can't seem to. Guess it's all relative.

3. A Master's from MIT, one of the most widely-recognized, well-respected schools in the country.
5. A home that you own (I know, I know, it's "not big enough" for you and your hypothetical children, but I know plenty of renters who would be happy to own a home).
6. A job that, by your own admission, offers superior benefits, and enough of a salary that you're able to "currently save a lot of money."

That sounds like a lot of advantages to me, but again, I guess it's all relative.

(And to everyone other than MITs, I promise I'll lay off the MITs vortex now. I just can't take the blatant misrepresentation.)
DAYUM, Mits. You struck it rich!

Old 12-10-2013, 12:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post

In the vortex, those advantages don't count for much.

Remember, if he has to work in NYC, he will have no choice but to live in a burnt-out shell in the South Bronx and work everyday from 7 am to 5 pm (or even later if the boss says so) with lousy benefits! Those advantages are MEANINGLESS when it comes to that!

Who's asking you to lay off? I think this is turning into one of those car wreck fascination topics like cops, teachers, property taxes, etc. ...

Old 12-10-2013, 01:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
DAYUM, Mits. You struck it rich!
The glass is clearly HALF EMPTY! Can't you see that?

Old 12-10-2013, 05:18 PM

I'm really very sorry I returned to this forum. It seems nothing has changed.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:31 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
I'm really very sorry I returned to this forum. It seems nothing has changed.
I guess you'll have to seek out validation for your life choices elsewhere. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island