Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you work in Long Island or NYC?
Long Island 7 41.18%
NYC 10 58.82%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 11:04 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
You are a clown
WIFE: honey, why won't you look for a better job so we can move into a house and maybe have some kids?

HUBBY: well dear, I have such strong family values that I can't possibly bear the thought of being away from you a second longer than 9 hours at a time. You should be THANKFUL that I care THIS much about our family!

WIFE: but it's just you and me. We don't have a "family" yet!

HUBBY: I have strong family values damnit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 11:51 AM

703 posts, read 1,173,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
WIFE: honey, why won't you look for a better job so we can move into a house and maybe have some kids?

HUBBY: well dear, I have such strong family values that I can't possibly bear the thought of being away from you a second longer than 9 hours at a time. You should be THANKFUL that I care THIS much about our family!

HUBBY: What century is this? Why don't you get a better job?

Old 12-06-2013, 11:55 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
MITS, there's more to "family values" than "amount of time spent staring at my family members."

If someone works in NYC because they can command a significantly larger salary there, and that salary allows them to afford things like having one parent stay at home with kids, or private school (or buying a more expensive house in a blue ribbon school district), or building up significant college funds, or using the time they do have with their family to do enriching activities like taking kids to see live theater or opera or going on vacations to amazing places and allowing their kids to see the world, wouldn't you say that person is valuing their family? If someone is using their extra income to support aging parents, or to help a relative who has had bad luck or a harder life live more comfortably, isn't that also valuing family?

There's an ocean of possibilities between "work on LI for slave wages so I can stare at my kids for every moment that they're home from school" and "spend EVERY HOUR EVER in NYC working because YAY MONEY." Stop setting up false dichotomies to needlessly create drama and paint yourself as the king of family values. It's annoying and ridiculous.
You have a good point, but most employers offer a one size fits all compensation package, so you are forced to basically choose all or nothing: either short commute, good benefits, but low wage; or long commute, bad benefits, but high wage, with very little in between.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
You are making some gross generalizations that are not only ridiculous, but slightly offensive. WTF are you even talking about?

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe your "firm" on LI is just simply SMALLER, because it taps into a smaller market than say, a firm in NYC? Maybe it costs more for your SMALL FIRM to stay open the week between Christmas and New Year's than they'd make in revenue, so they opt to close the office? Maybe they have fewer employees, so they're able to contribute more to their insurance plans, resulting in you paying less?
Whatever the reason is, having decent health insurance, and decent time off (including the Christmas / New Years week off) are important to me, so I choose to stay at this job, regardless of their motivation for offering these benefits.

Quote:
I'm just saying - you're sitting there saying a lot of WORDS and you sure have some ideas behind those words, but none of them are factually-based. And then you continue to prophecise about how terrible your life would be if your firm on LI laid you off and how you'd have to find a job at one of those other awful firms in NYC that doesn't honor family values AT ALL. And when people try to help you see the bright side and tell you, "maybe it's not as bad as you think," you yap some more about how bad it REALLY IS, even though you haven't even actually lost your job yet or anything and as far as I understand it - aren't even slated to.

Your posts are just this crazy vortex of pessimistic thoughts that never, ever, ends.
My job seems safe for 2014, but there may be layoffs in 2015.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:

HUBBY: If YOU want a bigger house, then maybe YOU need to find a job, or maybe YOU need to cut your spending.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
HUBBY: What century is this? Why don't you get a better job?
Thank you! It seems that this forum is dominated by people who believe that the husband should make all of the sacrifices that benefit only the wife and children.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
HUBBY: If YOU want a bigger house, then maybe YOU need to find a job, or maybe YOU need to cut your spending.
WIFE: But if you had such strong family values, you wouldn't want our kids to be raised in a day care!

Old 12-06-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
WIFE: But if you had such strong family values, you wouldn't want our kids to be raised in a day care!
HUBBY: Then maybe you can reduce your spending, and be willing to accept a smaller house closer to the city. Why should I be the only one making sacrifices?

Old 12-06-2013, 12:05 PM

703 posts, read 1,173,938 times
Quote:
HUBBY: Well if you would just "lean in" I could stay home. Or we could at least afford a nanny.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
HUBBY: Then maybe you can reduce your spending, and be willing to accept a smaller house closer to the city. Why should I be the only one making sacrifices?
so it's not really about "family values" at all is it? It's about personal sacrifices which you're not willing to make. Which we all figured out months ago with you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island